What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Squad succession

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Added Dunster, Fainga'a and Parry since I was the first to discover they now have profiles on the official site:

Utility: Gutherson (25), Salmon, Smith, Takairangi (30)
Fullback: French (23)
W/C: Dunster (20), Ferguson, Hoffman (31), G.Jennings, M.Jennings (31), Leleisiuao (22), Parry (20), Sivo
Half: D.Brown, Moses (25)
Hooker: Mahoney, Pritchard (25)
Edge forward: Davey (28), Fainga'a (21), Gower (34), Lane, Ma'u (31), Moeroa (24), Niukore (23)
Tight forward: Alvaro (26), N.Brown, Evans, Kaufusi (20), Mannah (31), Paulo, Stone (22), Terepo, S.Utoikamanu (19)

Utility: Salmon (21), Smith (28)
Fullback: -
W/C: Ferguson, G. Jennings (27), Sivo (27)
Half: D.Brown (20)
Hooker: Mahoney (22)
Edge forward: Lane (26)
Tight forward: N.Brown, Evans (28), Paulo, Terepo (29)

Utility: -
W/C: Ferguson (31)
Half: -
Hooker: -
Edge forward: -
Tight forward: Brown (28), Paulo

W/C: -
Tight forward: Paulo (29)

So we (officially) have 33 merkins in next year's squad, though Dunster, Fainga'a, Parry and Sutoikamanu are all probably still on development contracts.

Gronk

Staff member
Q1: So this year we have 30 merkins in the squad plus a few kids on development contracts. So can BA dip into the top 30 in any way he deems fit now ? Without having the NRL to decide for him ?

Q2: After 1 July BA can elevate one or more of the development players into the squad. Is this elevation at the cost of other players (injured perhaps) or does the top 30 become 31 or 32 etc ?

Q1: So this year we have 30 merkins in the squad plus a few kids on development contracts. So can BA dip into the top 30 in any way he deems fit now ? Without having the NRL to decide for him ?

Q2: After 1 July BA can elevate one or more of the development players into the squad. Is this elevation at the cost of other players (injured perhaps) or does the top 30 become 31 or 32 etc ?
As I understand it, your top 30 is simply your squad. You're free to play any of them all year. And the development players, of which you can have six, are now free to play for whatever reason after July 1. They don't displace anyone, your squad just expands.

I could be wrong but.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
As I understand it, your top 30 is simply your squad. You're free to play any of them all year. And the development players, of which you can have six, are now free to play for whatever reason after July 1. They don't displace anyone, your squad just expands.

I could be wrong but.
This is how I understand it too, except I couldn't be wrong.

Gronk

Staff member

I could be wrong but.
This is how I understand it too, except I couldn't be wrong.

So what is this talk on nospam46 of “bottom seven positions in the top 30”. It suggests a pecking order.

When a player is moved out of the development ranks, they can only move into one of the bottom seven positions in your Top 30.

Happy MEel

First Grade

I could be wrong but.
This being the case, why haven’t we filled our development player quota? Seems strange we have left a few spots empty. You would think it would be handy to have Schneider as a minimum on a development contract in case we need to get a game or two out of him towards the end of the year.

Happy MEel

First Grade
So what is this talk on nospam46 of “bottom seven positions in the top 30”. It suggests a pecking order.

When a player is moved out of the development ranks, they can only move into one of the bottom seven positions in your Top 30.
That refers to an upgrade I think, rather than playing players from the development squad.

Chipmunk

Coach
Added Dunster, Fainga'a and Parry since I was the first to discover they now have profiles on the official site:

Utility: Gutherson (25), Salmon, Smith, Takairangi (30)
Fullback: French (23)
W/C: Dunster (20), Ferguson, Hoffman (31), G.Jennings, M.Jennings (31), Leleisiuao (22), Parry (20), Sivo
Half: D.Brown, Moses (25)
Hooker: Mahoney, Pritchard (25)
Edge forward: Davey (28), Fainga'a (21), Gower (34), Lane, Ma'u (31), Moeroa (24), Niukore (23)
Tight forward: Alvaro (26), N.Brown, Evans, Kaufusi (20), Mannah (31), Paulo, Stone (22), Terepo, S.Utoikamanu (19)

Utility: Salmon (21), Smith (28)
W/C: Ferguson, G. Jennings (27), Sivo (27)
Half: D.Brown (20)
Hooker: Mahoney (22)
Edge forward: Lane (26)
Tight forward: N.Brown, Evans (28), Paulo, Terepo (29)

W/C: Ferguson (31)
Tight forward: Brown (28), Paulo

W/C: -
Tight forward: Paulo (29)

So we (officially) have 33 merkins in next year's squad, though Dunster, Fainga'a, Parry and Sutoikamanu are all probably still on development contracts.

Next years squad or this years? Can we Bold, Italisize or Underline the Development Players so that we know they're not available?

FFS Pou Bear...

Obscene Assassin

First Grade

Bottom 7 of the top 30 based on salary.

84 Baby

Referee
This being the case, why haven’t we filled our development player quota? Seems strange we have left a few spots empty. You would think it would be handy to have Schneider as a minimum on a development contract in case we need to get a game or two out of him towards the end of the year.
I assume Schneider is still contracted as a junior? Why bother "upgrading" him now so you could use him later, when you could just wait to upgrade him later when you can/need to use him? Was the same with Drown & Mahoney.
If 'twere me, I'd already have a draft contract for him in case Mahoney goes down, with a draft submission to NRL for compensation to play a development player

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I assume Schneider is still contracted as a junior? Why bother "upgrading" him now so you could use him later, when you could just wait to upgrade him later when you can/need to use him? Was the same with Drown & Mahoney.
If 'twere me, I'd already have a draft contract for him in case Mahoney goes down, with a draft submission to NRL for compensation to play a development player

Is there restrictions for “junior contracted” players training with the full time squad? Didn’t they need to work / study if playing 20’s? Thus prevents the ability to train full time.

It’s possible development contracts aren’t as restrictive.

84 Baby

Referee
Is there restrictions for “junior contracted” players training with the full time squad? Didn’t they need to work / study if playing 20’s? Thus prevents the ability to train full time.

There probably are but I also assume he’ll play mostly ISP this year so is probably training with them anyway

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

I’m pretty sure development contracted players are full time professional athletes.

Latest posts