What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Squad succession

Noise

Coach
The 2021 squad technically assemble in 12 days and 4 of them have SOO commitments. Looks like there will be plenty of room in the gym.

Sign some players FFS !
freakout.gif
What do you mean "The 2021 squad technically assemble in 12 days". I thought the agreement states that players have to get 6 weeks off at the end of the season (plus another 2 weeks over xmas)? Our season only finished less than 2 weeks ago.

Gronk

Staff member
What do you mean "The 2021 squad technically assemble in 12 days". I thought the agreement states that players have to get 6 weeks off at the end of the season (plus another 2 weeks over xmas)? Our season only finished less than 2 weeks ago.

2021 Contracts commence 1 Nov, 2020.

FFS Pou

The Parramatta Eels are pleased to announce the signings of three new players who will commence training in the 2021 pre-season.

Centre Tom Opacic has agreed to a one year deal with the Eels.

Tom made his NRL debut in 2016 for the Brisbane Broncos and has spent the past two seasons playing for the North Queensland Cowboys in his 43 NRL game career.

Isaiah Papali’i has agreed to a two year deal, after playing 59 NRL games for the Warriors since 2017.

He has also represented New Zealand and Samoa.

Hooker Joey Lussick has also agreed to a one year deal after spending time in the Eels pathways in 2014 and 2015.

He went on to make his NRL debut for Manly in 2017 and has spent the last three seasons in the UK Super League playing for Salford.

Parramatta Eels General Manager of Football Mark O’Neill said, “We are excited to welcome Tom, Isaiah and Joey and I have no doubt that these three men will be a great cultural fit with our Club.”

“All players will add class, depth and balance to our overall squad and they will be relocating from their current destinations in readiness for the 2021 pre-season,” O’Neill said.

https://www.parraeels.com.au/news/2020/10/21/eels-announce-three-new-signings/

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
FFS Pou

The Parramatta Eels are pleased to announce the signings of three new players who will commence training in the 2021 pre-season.

Centre Tom Opacic has agreed to a one year deal with the Eels.

Tom made his NRL debut in 2016 for the Brisbane Broncos and has spent the past two seasons playing for the North Queensland Cowboys in his 43 NRL game career.

Isaiah Papali’i has agreed to a two year deal, after playing 59 NRL games for the Warriors since 2017.

He has also represented New Zealand and Samoa.

Hooker Joey Lussick has also agreed to a one year deal after spending time in the Eels pathways in 2014 and 2015.

He went on to make his NRL debut for Manly in 2017 and has spent the last three seasons in the UK Super League playing for Salford.

Parramatta Eels General Manager of Football Mark O’Neill said, “We are excited to welcome Tom, Isaiah and Joey and I have no doubt that these three men will be a great cultural fit with our Club.”

“All players will add class, depth and balance to our overall squad and they will be relocating from their current destinations in readiness for the 2021 pre-season,” O’Neill said.

https://www.parraeels.com.au/news/2020/10/21/eels-announce-three-new-signings/
ffs

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
So it looks like we might have the second best Papali'i and the second best Lussick. I had assumed we were signing Fred.

* = player option
¢ = club option
^ = development contract

Utility: Rankin, Salmon (21), Smith (28), Takairangi (31)
Fullback: Gutherson
W/C: Blake, Dunster (21), Ferguson, Heleta (25)^, G.Jennings (27), M.Jennings, Sivo
Half: D.Brown, Field (23), Moses
Hooker: Davies (24), Mahoney, Schneider (20)^
Edge forward: Davey (29), Gower (35), Lane, Matterson, Niukore
Tight forward: Alvaro, N.Brown, Campbell-Gillard, Evans (28), Hughes, Kaufusi, Paulo, Stone (23), Terepo (29), Utoikamanu (20)

Utility: Rankin (30)
Fullback: Gutherson
W/C: Blake, Ferguson (31), M.Jennings, Opacic (27), Sivo (28)
Half: D.Brown, Moses
Hooker: Lussick (26), Mahoney
Edge forward: Lane, Matterson, Niukore, Papali'i
Tight forward: Alvaro (28), N.Brown (28), Campbell-Gillard, Hughes (20), Kaufusi, Paulo

Utility: -
Fullback: Gutherson (28)
W/C: Blake, M.Jennings (34)
Half: D.Brown, Moses (28)*
Hooker: Mahoney (24)
Edge forward: Lane, Matterson (28)*, Niukore (26), Papali'i (24)
Tight forward: Campbell-Gillard, Kaufusi (23), Paulo (29)

Fullback: -
W/C: Blake (29)
Half: D.Brown (23)
Hooker: -
Edge forward: Lane (29)
Tight forward: Campbell-Gillard*

Fullback: -
W/C: -
Half: -
Hooker: -
Edge forward: -
Tight forward: Campbell-Gillard (31)¢

So we (officially) have 21 merkins in next year's top 30.

eels_fan

First Grade
So we (officially) have 21 merkins in next year's top 30.

so we need to sign or promote 8 more before season 2021 begins. Don’t know how you promote with confidence when none of them have played a game in 12 months. Thinking a lot of 1 year deals...

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
so we need to sign or promote 8 more before season 2021 begins. Don’t know how you promote with confidence when none of them have played a game in 12 months. Thinking a lot of 1 year deals...
You judge them in training. It's at least as good as judging their performance against reserve graders. In training and internal matches you can measure exactly what you want to measure. In lower grade game situations you're stuck with the data provided by what occurred.

But yes, plenty of one year deals because statistically, most of them are likely to fail to develop the required amount.

Tongue

Juniors
Isaiah Papali’i is a good signing for you guys. Potential to be one of those players who lifts playing outside of NZ.