What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Squad succession

Delboy

First Grade
He played centre because we had no other centres
Yep, and still not addressed properly, what concerns is that the backs have not been targeted as elite type players come on to the market. Is it an unwillingness to pay for that position, or just an inability to understand what our real weakness is.?

emjaycee

Coach
I think the club is focussed on that tried and true adage that "forwards win matches and backs decide by how much".

In 2022 our top 5 forwards all played more than 80% of games and we won 16 and lost 8.
RCG28/28
Junior26/28
Lane26/28
Matto23/28
Papalii28/28

Compare that to 2023 where 3 of our top 5 forwards played less than 75% of games and we win 12 and lose 12.
RCG14/24
Junior20/24
Lane10/24
Matto18/24
Hopgood (replacing Ice)24/24

If you dont have the forwards to win the matches, who cares who your backs are.

Delboy

First Grade
I think the club is focussed on that tried and true adage that "forwards win matches and backs decide by how much".

In 2022 our top 5 forwards all played more than 80% of games and we won 16 and lost 8.
RCG28/28
Junior26/28
Lane26/28
Matto23/28
Papalii28/28

Compare that to 2023 where 3 of our top 5 forwards played less than 75% of games and we win 12 and lose 12.
RCG14/24
Junior20/24
Lane10/24
Matto18/24
Hopgood (replacing Ice)24/24

If you dont have the forwards to win the matches, who cares who your backs are.
We should target at least one back with elite speed, you only have to look at what opposition players like the Hammer,Walsh and DWZ do to us. Would be really different if we had one player that could threaten in that way. Even in junior reps, Dom Farrugia is the one noticeable for real speed

Last edited:

Gronk

Staff member
We should target at least one back with elite speed, you only have to look at what opposition players like the Hammer,Walsh and DWZ do to us. Would be really different if we had one player that could threaten in that way. Even in junior reps, Dom Farrugia is the one noticeable for real speed
Isn’t AMS the fastest player in the club? Per @sixties ?

If so, that must be pretty fast, cos Moses is fast and often listed NRL top 10.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Isn’t AMS the fastest player in the club? Per @sixties ?

If so, that must be pretty fast, cos Moses is fast and often listed NRL top 10.
can find the try line too, he was impressive in his first and only game in attack

needs to bulk up and he could go OK

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
and this is your argument for Brown being a utility ?

still nah...
No it’s my argument for why he was picked at centre, with Arthur at 6. I already told you why I consider Brown a utility. Like so many five eighths, his strength is his running and tackling. These same strengths make them suitable to other positions. Look at Kenny, Daley, Fittler, Lockyer, Inglis and Wighton.

Animated GIF

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I’ve shown you evidence of his utility value. Your attempt to make it about Jake Arthur (nepotism lol) is the deflection.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
you're mistaking evidence for opinion

still nah......
I think you don’t know the difference.

It’s a fact that he played centre. It’s a fact that he runs and tackles well. Prior to last year plenty of merkins were calling for him to move to the centres. It’s a logical fit.

Only that last statement is an opinion.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I think you don’t know the difference.

patronizing comments like this doesn't work for me

It’s a fact that he played centre. It’s a fact that he runs and tackles well. Prior to last year plenty of merkins were calling for him to move to the centres. It’s a logical fit.

Only that last statement is an opinion.

if that makes you feel better, fine

still hah.....