What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Squad succession

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Imagine picking players by looking at stats on the internet 😂

If any of those 4 plodders gets top 30 contracts (in the NRL) once their current ones end I'd be shocked
The stats represent their actions on the field. If they weren't valuable they wouldn't be recorded, published or used. I mean, should I trust your shit memory instead? You're a footy fan ffs. It's all about heroes, villains and scapegoats with you merkins. You're incapable of being rational or objective when it comes to this stuff.

Delboy

First Grade
Not sure but think I read that if a player is signed to a development contract for 2 consecutive years at the same club, then they move into top 30 in the 3rd year. That would cover the likes of Cini, Taumapenu, and possibly. Mataele . With the RLPA there’s always a risk if players are extended on lower reward contracts.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
Not sure but think I read that if a player is signed to a development contract for 2 consecutive years at the same club, then they move into top 30 in the 3rd year. That would cover the likes of Cini, Taumapenu, and possibly. Mataele . With the RLPA there’s always a risk if players are extended on lower reward contracts.

I thought I had read that too but when I emailed the NRL they told me that there is no limit on how long the player is on a development contract

*EDIT* re-reading this it says what type of contract a player is on is confidential yet they publish a list of this exact thing on their website, so I'm not sure how much we can believe this response

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231112_070912_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231112_070912_Chrome.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 9

JokerEel

Coach
The stats represent their actions on the field. If they weren't valuable they wouldn't be recorded, published or used. I mean, should I trust your shit memory instead? You're a footy fan ffs. It's all about heroes, villains and scapegoats with you merkins. You're incapable of being rational or objective when it comes to this stuff.

No stats give merkins like you ammo

My memory is typically shit but I can spot a useless Footy player like the rest of you merkins.

Like I said none of the 4 I mentioned will get another first grade contract. So they are pretty useless backups as well when they aren't going to see first grade again for us either.

BTW your strike rate on players is worst than anyone on these forums so I wouldn't be throwing around insults.

The stats represent their actions on the field. If they weren't valuable they wouldn't be recorded, published or used.
Wow, more blind faith in authority on display. Merkins (particularly at universities) record and publish all sorts of things that are truly valuable... no reason to think it's not the same in the stats "industry".

I mean, should I trust your shit memory instead? You're a footy fan ffs. It's all about heroes, villains and scapegoats with you merkins. You're incapable of being rational or objective when it comes to this stuff.
If a good footy scout wants to know how good a player is, they make sure they get eyes on... not like you're lamely suggesting - eyes down on the stats screen, todger in hand 😂.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
No stats give merkins like you ammo

My memory is typically shit but I can spot a useless Footy player like the rest of you merkins.

Like I said none of the 4 I mentioned will get another first grade contract. So they are pretty useless backups as well when they aren't going to see first grade again for us either.

BTW your strike rate on players is worst than anyone on these forums so I wouldn't be throwing around insults.
My strike rate is fine. When I explain why a player is good enough for the top 30 it doesn’t mean I think he should play Origin. You all said Jake Arthur wouldn’t play first grade at any other club yet he did. Likewise with Mortimer and Joseph Paulo. The fact is some very ordinary players get top 30 contracts. There aren’t enough genuine NRL players to fill 17 squads. There weren’t enough for 16 ffs. Plus because the top 17 has primacy, this is where the money is concentrated. It puts downward pressure on the minimum salary, limiting the quality of players at that level. Merkins who aren’t good enough for the top 17 f**k off to the UK rather than play reserve grade on $120k. There’s no point putting shit on the ones who stay. If your club isn’t as competitive as you’d like the blame lies with its top earners, not its backups.

My strike rate is fine.
laugh surprise GIF

JokerEel

Coach
My strike rate is fine. When I explain why a player is good enough for the top 30 it doesn’t mean I think he should play Origin. You all said Jake Arthur wouldn’t play first grade at any other club yet he did. Likewise with Mortimer and Joseph Paulo. The fact is some very ordinary players get top 30 contracts. There aren’t enough genuine NRL players to fill 17 squads. There weren’t enough for 16 ffs. Plus because the top 17 has primacy, this is where the money is concentrated. It puts downward pressure on the minimum salary, limiting the quality of players at that level. Merkins who aren’t good enough for the top 17 f**k off to the UK rather than play reserve grade on $120k. There’s no point putting shit on the ones who stay. If your club isn’t as competitive as you’d like the blame lies with its top earners, not its backups.

JA is a a smart footy player his body just hasn't caught up to has ability.

He was always going to get a gig at another club.

Don't compare Morts and JP to those nuffies in our top 30... I would love Morts in our 30

Your strike rate isn't fine. Backing Momoisea proves that.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Just for Pou .

Premierships at the Eels with Current R&R team 0

Premierships by me 0

I am doing pretty good compared to our R&R team 😄
Premierships are a poor metric because it lacks granularity. Look at wins instead. Even the Tigers recruiters are doing better than you.

But how good were those games Pou? And is he sliding down our top 30 as a result... at risk of being picked in Ron Massey and triggering a potential early release (if he can find a taker)?

But - just like people who maintained the world was flat, until it was officially decided by their authority figure that it was - you'll be late to the party about whether (based on actual form not meaningless states) someone is still regarded as an effective top 30 player or not.

Latest posts