What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Squasher a Knight!

General Knight

Juniors
Hey guys, may seem like old new but i just saw this today!

Newsroom

"Squasher" Comes to Newcastle

Friday, August 13, 2004 - Newcastle Knights

The Newcastle Knights have today agreed to terms with former Manly Sea Eagle, Grant Wooden for 2005.

Wooden, at 190cm and 114kg was known as the ‘Squasher’ in his time with the Sydney club.

He has since spent season 2004 with Wynnum Manly in the Brisbane competition after breaking his ankle last year.

Speaking today, the 25-year-old, who grew up on the NSW Central Coast, said he was excited about the prospect of returning to his home state.

“Newcastle has always appealed to me as a great place for football, and I’ve always wanted to play down there,” he said.

“I like the way they play football and I like the way their town supports them.”

“Being a working class boy I reckon I’ll feel right at home in blue and red.”

Wooden has impressed plenty of good judges in his first season north of the border and was rewarded with a Queensland Residents jersey this year.

macavity

Referee
he was absolutely crap for Manly....

QLD cup is an ok comp but is ALOT slower than NRL.... I think that makes all the difference.

still he is what, 25? if he isn't going to make it in the next 2 he never will.... lets hope he does!!

General Knight

Juniors
Terminator said:
Great, how was he playing before he broke his ankle?

I dont know but it seems like hes been playing well for Wynnum this year. He made like QLD residents or something I'm not really too familiar with their rep system.

General Knight

Juniors
Hows this forward pack look?

8. Perry
9. Buderus
10. Wooden
11. Simpson
12. Reynoldson
13. Abraham

14.Woolnough
15. Tilse or who evers playing well
16. M Kennedy or who evers playing well
17. Newton or who evers playing well

Terminator

First Grade
Knights 05
1. Seage
2. Quinn
3. Gidley
4. Carmont
5. Hall
6. Gidley.K
7. Johns (c)
8. Perry
9. Buderus
10. Wooden
11. Simpson
12. Abraham
13. Reynoldson

14. Woolnough
15. Kennedy
16. Newton
17. Lowrie

Awesome team :clap:

Nuffy

Bench
I assume Herbie Hancock has given us the flick?

Geez theres some new faces in the club!

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
1. Seage
2. Carmont
3. Gidley
4. Quinn
5. Hall
6. Gidley
7. Johns
8. Perry
9. Buderus
10. Wooden
11. Simpson
12. Reynoldson
13. Abraham

14. Woolnough
15. Newton
16. Kennedy
17. Lowrie

What an awsom team!!!

General Knight

Juniors
Well i think the Knights have done enough shopping for 2005. All we really needed was another good prop to complement Perry and Wooly. And we got that in Squasher. Man ive never actually seen the guy but on paper he looks bloody massive to me.

Voice of Reason

Juniors
Whilst I hope this is a good move, I struggle to feel positive about it. He was a player who couldn't make regular first grade with the Northern Eagles- not a very convincing resume!!!!!!!

Good luck here big guy, but I can see another Tim Maddison episode coming up!!!

General Knight

Juniors
But that was like last year. He made QLD residents that something to look forward too. Out of the whole of bloody QLD he got chosen to play #8. That has to say something doesnt it.

QLD residents i think Seage got picked to play for that too when he was still playing the QLD cup.

mickyj

Bench
Wooden is to slow for the NRL.

The QC is a slower game. In the NRL he will struggle as he did for the NE.

I can't believe some have him starting before Woolnough.

Wooden started only a few games in 2 or 3 seasons with the NE.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I wouldn't start him. Hell, I'd have him in PL until he showed he had what it took to run around in the top squad. Manly is a far cry from Newcastle in terms of quality, and he wasn't even holding down a spot there.

General Knight

Juniors
Woolnough's great off the bench plus he prefers to play there.

And as for Wooden well that was 2 or 3 seasons right and that was last year so that would have made him something like what 21. He was only young then give him a break. And besides Props start to play their best footy at around 25 if hes slow then they can work him out in the off season. He'll be mad for us. Whos know he could be our next BK!

t-ba

Post Whore
Don't get too excited. Danny Lima, David Westley and Mal Kaufusi all consistently outperformed this bloke!

Woolnough > Wooden.

Latest posts