What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Squasher a Knight!

roopy

Referee
Our Premier League pack will be huge - Tilse, Wooden, Tim Maddison, Matt White, Brendan Worth, Kade Snowden, Tolar, Mueller, Mercer, Brown, Tanner - Where are we going to find spots for all those guys?

keeney

First Grade
why is everyone so excited abouta northern eagles reject, i doubt he'll displace anyone for a starting position

Johns Magic

Referee
keeney said:
why is everyone so excited abouta northern eagles reject, i doubt he'll displace anyone for a starting position

Exactly.

CCGeneral, you are reading too much into this. He is a good reject. That's not to say he won't go alright for us, but he's not the 'saviour' you're making him out to be.

Andy

First Grade
This Wooden fool won't be taking Woolnough's startin spot... he'll be a bench player.

astrogirl

First Grade
A guy here at work who follows Manly had wraps on the guy when he played for the Eagles.

But this work mate often gets things wrong :?

I hope he's right for a change!

antonius

Coach
I can't get too excited about this bloke, I saw him play for the old Northern Eagles and really he waspretty average. I'm more interested in seeing this guy from Penrith Royal go round. The word is if he'd stayed he would've made first grade at Penrith next season, so given their forwards he can't be bad. Roopy what's with Tim Maddison? I thought he'd gone, or was that wishful thinking on my part? the guy is a dead set waste of money.

Earl

Coach
What a complete and utter waste of money. The guy couldn't make it at Manly of all places. He will spend more time in the sin bin then on the feild.

Whats Doing

Bench
As your QLD scout, I will keep an eye out for him when he plays for Wynnum.

Lets not make judgement on what happened some years ago, it is how he is playing now and what he can offer for the future is what matters.

I'll keep you posted

XXXX Cap

Juniors
I've seen about twenty of Wynnum's matches live this season so I guess I'm in a position to comment on Grant Wooden.

Nobody is a bigger fan of him as a Queensland Cup prop. Ideally, Wynnum would have liked to have kept him and built their pack around him for the next four years or so. Unfortunately, that's not happening.

I would be surprised if Grant Wooden makes it at NRL level. He's just a bit slow for that level and a bit one-dimensional. He plays 60-70 minutes each game, belting it up the middle and tackling everything that moves. In NRL, the speed of the game is faster, the players are more physically developed on average and he will cop plenty of punishment.

He's certainly not the "violent" type enforcer that he is portrayed as. Wooden is tough and big but hasn't been involved in any nasty incidents all year. He's been suspended a couple of times, basically for clumsy high tackles which are hard to avoid when you're his size.

For his sake, I hope he makes it. He has got a huge heart and has given Wynnum great service this year. He was deservedly selected in the City side and subsequently the Queensland Residents.

I would see him in the category of "a handy bloke to have around" if the Knights have injury problems.

General Knight

Juniors
Whats Doing said:
As your QLD scout, I will keep an eye out for him when he plays for Wynnum.

Lets not make judgement on what happened some years ago, it is how he is playing now and what he can offer for the future is what matters.

I'll keep you posted

Exactly, he may have been a hack few years ago but that was a few years ago. Anyway i do agree about getting abit too excited. I guess just seeing the figures got to me. We'll just wait and see next year. He cant be that bad.

antonius

Coach
XXXX Cap said:
I would be surprised if Grant Wooden makes it at NRL level. He's just a bit slow for that level and a bit one-dimensional. He plays 60-70 minutes each game, belting it up the middle and tackling everything that moves. In NRL, the speed of the game is faster, the players are more physically developed on average and he will cop plenty of punishment.

That's exactly how I recall him "A slower version of Parso" if that's at all posible. Definately not in the mould of a modern day Prop forward.

macavity

Referee
*phew* my heart skipped a beat when i thought - just for a sec - that Tim Maddison was being allowed anywhere near a Knights jersey he didn't buy......

must say im much more interested in Royal as well. This might sound strange but im a big fan of kiwi/islander players - i think every team needs a couple of good ones, they just seem to add something special, maybe its their explosiveness :?: - they always seem to give 100% and dont suffer many injuries either. A team full of them doesn't seem to work though (Warriors..) ? Lets see if he is as good as we hope. I wonder WHY he is coming to Newcastle if he had a path at Penrith...? I guess we have better chicks...... :clap:

Latest posts