What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

St George Illawarra Dragons

andrew057

First Grade
what? lol. how does that make any sense. Dragons won the minor Premiership, however the Bulldogs did not.

Miss the Idris' potential game winning no try against the Dragons earlier this season? You're the one talking about justice. If there was any justice Dogs wouldve won the minor premiership sall im sayin. Makes plenty of sense I thought?

Stoner Rock

Juniors
2009: Dogs 19 wins (at least), Dragons 17 wins

I would also like to congratulate the Roosters on having a great year and they too are the best team despite having not won more matches than everyone else.

Hanscholo

Bench
No, this isn't another Choke thread. This is a thread to applaud a great season. Well done to the Dragons who have been the best side all season. If there was any justice, you would be announced as co-champions with the Grand Final winners.

So even though you weren't the most in form team in a 4 week period, and therefore fell short of a premiership, you still played awesome footy all year, going from a team noone talked about as a Premeriship threat, to playing Champagne footy through the middle part of the season.

Well done to Wayne Bennett too who closed the mouths of the haters, proving that he can make a different club successful.

I dont want to bash the dragons or their supporters but please....

When a side wins the minor premiership it means exactly that, to win a premiership you need to be the best side, and clearly they arent. its one thing to roll thru the rabble mid season, its something entirely different to do that at the end of the year when the big trophy gets handed out, and that is why finals are so special, becase they sift thru the rest to get to the best. A great season, but still a lot to work on imo. They had NO excuses, no players missing, no dramas. Their attack is just terrible, and apart from rolling over a few sides that just turned it up during the season, it was during the season as well.

Last edited:

Jason Maher

Immortal
How then do you explain the so-called best side then failing to roll through the rabble mid-season? Why did we win those games but the clearly superiors team/s did not?

In the end it is a moot point. The OP was only trying to say we had a very good year and are deserving of recognition of the fact. Which is a sentiment I appreciate right now.

Last edited:

Hanscholo

Bench
yet they WON THE LEAGUE. in nearly any other sport, they would be champions. Just because they had a form slump at the wrong time, shouldnt take away from the fact that they were the best team this season.

This is not every other sport, and i can garauntee you, if the league title was the big title in our game, saints wouldnt have won it. In this country, you aim up and play the best to become the best, and lets not forget they had every opportunity to advance well into the semi final series. They should have had the week off and played the broncos in sydney in the major semi, but they werent good enough. If you cant see that they are clearly not the best side in the league from the last two performances against quality opposition when the pressure was on, what can i say, your either blind or so in love with your soccer concept of what makes a champion that you are just choosing to ignore it.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
I hardly think the Dragons choked, I actually think they over achieved. On paper, at the begining of the year, they had such an average team. No player is their backline other then Brett Morris, is a noted attacker. Hornby has never been creative and Soward was always inconsistant.

I truely think all the hype behind the Dragons was because they had Wayne Bennett as coach. People were thinking all year "can Wayne Bennett stop the St George choke" or "can the Dragons destroy Wayne Bennetts premiership records"

The Dragons team IMO over achieved, cudos to their players for reaching Wayne Bennetts standards.

redvscotty

First Grade
No, this isn't another Choke thread. This is a thread to applaud a great season. Well done to the Dragons who have been the best side all season. If there was any justice, you would be announced as co-champions with the Grand Final winners.

So even though you weren't the most in form team in a 4 week period, and therefore fell short of a premiership, you still played awesome footy all year, going from a team noone talked about as a Premeriship threat, to playing Champagne footy through the middle part of the season.

Well done to Wayne Bennett too who closed the mouths of the haters, proving that he can make a different club successful.

Haha, was thank you ringing me when the final siren went off? Was not happy, but I really couldn't hear who it was haha.

Goddo

Bench
No, not co champions. What we need is a minor premiership that means something. Getting the minor premiership should be worth the same as winning the grand final in my opinion. Then winning both is something really glorious for a club to achieve, rather than the lose change that is thrown at the minor premiership now

sportive cupid

Referee
No, not co champions. What we need is a minor premiership that means something. Getting the minor premiership should be worth the same as winning the grand final in my opinion. Then winning both is something really glorious for a club to achieve, rather than the lose change that is thrown at the minor premiership now

Well then for that to happen we would have to go back to the idea of each team playing every other team twice- with home and away games.Otherwise it just isnt fair ,and certainly not an accurate reflection of how one teams performance compares with another.

Last edited:

lockyrulz

Juniors
How condesending. Hate the Dragons but hate the Broncos just as much. The Broncos fans pretend to be all nice but in reality they sitting back in their recliners, sip their fine wines and pat themselves on the back because they support such a successful club that takes but never gives. Patronising thread.

sh*t, is that webcam still on?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Well done Saints... a good but not great team in the end, an epic turnaround from the last few seasons and Bennett has done promising things. They'll be back bigger and better in 2010.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
As Sportive Cupid said unless every side played twice home and away the premiership isn't that accurate.

The issue I have with the finals series is a side could be quite obviously the best side in the league. Minor premiers by 8 points or something and in the last game of the regular season they have freakish injuries to say their halfback, hooker and best prop. Due to the salary cap its very hard for a side to have the depth to cover an injury to a halfback.

Its just a cruel system. I suppose thats what makes it so interesting.

typicalfan

Coach
The Dragons team failed when the pressure was on.....twice. Playing well in the pressure games is what Rugby League is all about, the first 26 rounds is just to see who can play in the finals and who misses out.

Dragons will be better next year and by better meaning that they will be better prepared for the end of season games.

Latest posts