What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

St Marys VB Sevens

Nfed

Juniors
10 Feb at Western Weekender

12.20 Penrith vs Wests Tigers
12.40 Wests Magpies vs Doonside
1.00 NSW Koori vs Portugal
1.20 Windsor vs Cook Islands
1.40 Penrith vs Valley United
2.00 Wests Magpies vs Sydney Bulls
2.20 NSW Koori vs Fiji
2.40 Windsor vs American Samoa
3.00 Wests Tigers vs Valley United
3.20 Doonside vs Sydney Bulls
3.40 Portugal vs Fiji
4.00 Cook Islands vs American Samoa

4.20 Bowl Semi 1
4.40 Plate Semi 1
5.00 Bowl Semi 2
5.20 Plate Semi 2
5.40 Cup Semi 1
6.00 Cup Semi 2

6.20 Bowl Final
6.45 Plate Final
7.15 Cup Final

Spike

First Grade
I'll be in Sydney around that time and I'm hanging out for some footy as you do around this time of year.

Nfed

Juniors
Wests Magpies have named a side:

Netani Suka, Nua Alone, Mark Hardy, Beau Ryan, Walter Imo, Nathan Waters, Brendan Waters, Wayde Dunley, Michael Burns, Dean Rysko, Pat Galea, Luke Gordon and Jamie Keith.

The Sydney Bulls beat Wests 34-6 last year but have lost some great 7's players in Tippett and Grech and possibly Debartolo. Wests had Shannon McDonell, Shannon Gallant abd Isaac DeGois last year.

yappy

Bench
Don't think we had McDonnell in last year's sevens - he was already contracted to Wests Tigers and therefore BRET, and I'm not sure if Isaac was there either in the sevens, but might have been. We had a trial that weekend and didn't field anywhere near our strongest side (and lets face it even our strongest side wasn't that strong). This year we are taking this seriously. No conflicting trials and the best possible side named. Looking forward to a better showing.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Feb 07 - The Panthers have announced their squad for the Sevens Tournament at Western Weekender Stadium next Saturday (Feb 10).

The squad is:

1. Liam Georgetown, 2. Jarrod Sammut, 3. Maurice Blair, 4. John Nuumaalii, 5. Junior Tia-Kilifi, 6. Joseph Paulo, 7. Craig Trindall, 8. Alex Ranieri, 9. Keith Peters, 10. Junior Moors, 11. Josh Bateman, 12. Masada Iosefa.

Very strong squad named. Watch for Sammut and Tia-Kilifi to have big tournaments.

Spike

First Grade
Yeah Sammut will have a field day in this tourament. Given that side, I'd have Penrith to be favourites to win it

Nfed

Juniors
Apologies Yappy, I was relying on an obviously faulty memory, but having checked the records I see those two were part of a very strong Magpies side that were group winners and lost to the Cougars 14-10 in the semi in 2005.

Wests in 2005
Isaac DeGois, Liam Fulton, Shannon Gallant, Shannon McDonnell, NicK Kouparitsis, Ben Roberts, Aaron Beath, Ryan Borg, Michael Crockett, Andrew Hampson, Sika Teaupa, Ben Yelavich.

Wests in 2006
Shannon Gallant, Brendan Waters, Nua Alone, Walter Imo, Don Thompson, Netani Suka, Kosta Kouparitsis, Nick Taylor, Sam Aiga, Tyler Aitkin, Nue Akeripa, Ashley Haare

The Cougars won in both years and also had some very useful players

Cougars in 2005
Paul Aiton, Michael Godon, Peter Wallace, Jono Rolfe, Matt Pow, Grant Purdon, Damien Blanch, Matt Cross, David McLean, John Nuumaali, Shanelle Haumono, Matt Forward

Cougars in 2006
Paul Aiton, Michael Gordon, Chris Newton, Junior Moors, Liam Georgetown, Geoff Daniella, Matt Forward, Keith Peters, Wayne Bond, Junior Moors, David Thompson, John Flint

brook

First Grade
The Wests Tigers squad is Rodney Griffin, Damon Harth, Matt Ryan, Lee Bennett, Taniela Tuiaki, Kingi Akaoula, Tim Moltzen, Peter Lewis, Dave Marando, Tevita Metuisela, Matt Parata, Lewis Brown, Tom Harberecht,

Why the squad full of Balmain players isn't playing under the Balmain banner is beyond me - but its pretty typical I guess.

Spike

First Grade
brook said:
The Wests Tigers squad is Rodney Griffin, Damon Harth, Matt Ryan, Lee Bennett, Taniela Tuiaki, Kingi Akaoula, Tim Moltzen, Peter Lewis, Dave Marando, Tevita Metuisela, Matt Parata, Lewis Brown, Tom Harberecht,

Why the squad full of Balmain players isn't playing under the Balmain banner is beyond me - but its pretty typical I guess.

That would be because Balmain are slowly but surely losing their identity to the Wests Tigers. :p

brook

First Grade
Spike said:
That would be because Balmain are slowly but surely losing their identity to the Wests Tigers. :p

Its not even slow anymore

You know I was Danny Munks biggest critic but I've got to say - it seems since he left Balmain have abandoned even the pretence of caring about maintaining the clubs identity.

Danos

Juniors
brook said:

Because WESTS TIGERS were the last World Sevens tournament champions, and the organisers of this years tournament were desperate for WT to field a team.

brook

First Grade
Danos said:
Because WESTS TIGERS were the last World Sevens tournament champions, and the organisers of this years tournament were desperate for WT to field a team.

Thats all well and good but the wests tigers didn't field a team - they sent a team made up of Balmain players stuck them in a mostly black and white jersey and called them 'wests tigers'

A wests tigers team would have been awesome - I'd love to see Collis and Jeffery and Lawrence etc in sevens footy - but that isn't what happened.

Nfed

Juniors
Fiji, led by Epa Navale beat the Wests Tigers 8-4 to win the Cup. Full results are as follows:

Pool 1
Wests Tigers beat Penrith 30-14, Penrith beat Valley United 36-12, Wests Tigers beat Valley United 42-0.
Pool 2
Wests Magpies beat Doonside 32-8, Wests Magpies beat Sydney Bulls 26-24, Sydney Bulls beat Doonside 26-6
Pool 3
NSW Koori beat Portugal 32-14, Fiji beat NSW Koori 26-16, Fiji beat Portugal 50-0
Pool 4
Cook Islands beat Windsor 26-8, Windsor beat American Samoa 26-24, Cook Islands beat American Samoa 20-14

Semis
Bowl: Doonside beat Valley 8-0, Samoa beat Portugal 24-8
Plate: Bulls beat Penrith 18-14, Koori beat Windsor 24-4
Cup: Tigers beat Magpies 24-12, Fiji beat Cook Islands 30-22

Finals
Bowl: Doonside beat Samoa 26-8
Plate: Koori beat Bulls 30-20
Cup: Fiji beat Tigers 8-4

Windsor
John Brown, Stephen Kim, Anthony Dalton, Joel Willoughby, Drew Dalton, Joel Paton, Tito Nuimata, Luke Bowen, Brad Parker, Sean Lawrie, Adrian Priem, Wiremu Weepu, Cameron Coote.

Windsor rested a lot of the players that played at Orara, two weeks ago.

gr8_1

Juniors
brook said:

Wests Tigers team was made up of Wests Tigers apprentices, contracted players and 3 BRET players in Marando, Bennett and Ryan (if he isn't an apprentice also). If BRET didn't have a trial on at Entrance on the same day they would of field a team themselves instead of the Wests Tigers. They only entered on late notice 4-5 days before the tournament.

It was also funny to see that at the trial played at the Entrance that Balmain used a few Magpie contracted players and wore the Magpies Herbal World Retro jersey.

Times that tough at Balamain $$$ wise ? Considering they hardly pay for anything themselves to field teams in the NSWRL from JF up.

Balmain Bug

Juniors
gr8_1 said:
Wests Tigers team was made up of Wests Tigers apprentices, contracted players and 3 BRET players in Marando, Bennett and Ryan (if he isn't an apprentice also). If BRET didn't have a trial on at Entrance on the same day they would of field a team themselves instead of the Wests Tigers. They only entered on late notice 4-5 days before the tournament.

It was also funny to see that at the trial played at the Entrance that Balmain used a few Magpie contracted players and wore the Magpies Herbal World Retro jersey.

Times that tough at Balamain $$$ wise ? Considering they hardly pay for anything themselves to field teams in the NSWRL from JF up.

Very true. Balmain realise this I hope.

brook

First Grade
gr8_1 said:

There was at least one wests tigers contracted player in the magpies team - why was he not in the WT team when they were using Balmain contracted players? (Matty Ryan is an apprentice btw I'm glad to say - that kid has future leadership potential).

not funny - sad

oh times are tough no doubt about it, but it seems to be much more closely related to the fact that the management simply doesn't care. I don't like giving praise to the magpies but at least their board members are prepared to fight for their identity - Balmain couldn't be bothered in the slightest.

Latest posts