What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stacey Jones

Rich102

Staff member
A serious question:
Is Stacey injured? He wasn't moving freely and didn't kick at all that I saw.

Micistm

Bench
Lol, what if he is injured? What then? Is there a Plan B? Not that plan A is going as well as it could anyway ;-)
It's obvious buying in a decent half isn't going to work as the good ones are snapped up in decent contracts, it may be time to have faith in the youngies and give em a go

Rich102

Staff member
Lol, what if he is injured? What then? Is there a Plan B? Not that plan A is going as well as it could anyway ;-)
It's obvious buying in a decent half isn't going to work as the good ones are snapped up in decent contracts, it may be time to have faith in the youngies and give em a go

Agreed, but where are they? Isaac John hasn't played for the juniors for a few games. (Is he hurt?) Heremia was just on the end of a hiding. Johnson is looking good , but far too early to put him in first grade. Don't know where Fulton is.

Instead of buying a top grade half, and there have been a few available this year, we have bought a few 'speculators' who may or may not work out. Far too risky for me.

We need good halves. We don't need overpriced wingers or second rowers. Let's get our priorities right.

ozbash

Referee
Stacey Jones won't ask the Warriors for a new contract but is prepared to listen if the club wants him to extend his comeback into 2010. Jones, who starts at halfback against the Cowboys today and has appeared in all but one game this season, told the Sunday Star-Times: "I've not spoken to anyone yet. I'm not going to go to the club and say I want to sign for another year.
"If they want me to sign, I will think about it, but at the moment it's about getting through it week to week. I'm not looking beyond even two weeks away."
It's a remarkable admission from Jones, now 33, with his comeback (after 18 months in retirement), originally being described as a one-season return.
After landing a field goal to beat the Roosters, seeing one attempt shave the wrong side of the upright in Melbourne where the Warriors drew, and then dopping the ball when he lined up winning one-pointers against both the Storm and the Dragons, Jones' hope is that the Warriors can finally win a game convincingly today.
"Then I won't have to worry about taking drop kicks," he said.
"I know a lot of people say it is easy to land a drop goal in front of the posts. It's easy at training, God, it's easy, but you get 13 guys who know what you are going to do and come rushing at you, it's pretty hard." Jones claims his golden-point dropped ball against Melbourne wasn't a knock-on, and agreed St George forward Ben Creagh was offside when he rushed him to force another spillage in the Dragons game, but he isn't complaining.
Instead, he wants to try to forge a partnership with converted standoff Nathan Fien in the halves.
"We certainly want to try to make things work," says Jones. "With two guys used to playing half, you're always chasing the ball so it is a matter of really communicating. That's the key."
WARRIORS WING Denan Kemp has revealed that he has been playing with pain-killing injections since round two, and vomited several times on the field when they played in Melbourne.
Kemp told the Star-Times he had been playing with a painful shoulder injury, suffered against Manly in round two and aggravated against Brisbane a week later, and then facial cuts became infected and kept him bedridden and on strong antibiotics before the Storm game. He threw up during that game, not through contact, but from his illness.
"I've been taking some pretty tough measures to get on the field. I've had needles, I've had needles for a while now," he said.
Kemp, recalled to face the Cowboys today after being omitted against the Dragons a fortnight ago, said it was "wait and see" whether he would again have an injection, but suspected he wouldn't need one.
Yet to score a try in seven appearances this season despite landing 19 in 24 outings for Brisbane last year, Kemp says that if it's best for his team, he's willing to go through the year scoreless and submit to the traditional non-scorer's nude lap of Mt Smart.
"I'll probably be the fastest nude runner ever," he says. "If we're winning, it doesn't matter. If I score zero tries and we win the grand final, that's fine."
Kemp had the luxury of playing outside Kangaroos centre Justin Hodges last year, but he's had few openings this season, with the Warriors targeting Manu Vatuvei's right wing.
"Some of the tries I scored last year were just falling over the line anyone could have scored them so maybe I got a few more than I should have," he says. "I'd be getting down on myself if there were opportunities and I had messed them up. The worst thing is that now I am under a lot of pressure if I do get that one chance and we don't score."
But the only pressure he really feels is from the social media. One columnist has declared Kemp and girlfriend Hayley Mundy to be Auckland's own David and Victoria Beckham. "We like that kind of [social] stuff but we don't really like the `Posh and Becks' stuff," he says

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/2418049/Stacey-won-t-ask-for-new-contract

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Isaac John is too old for the u20's. Same with Foran. Neither of them have set the NSW comp on fire.

Johnson has massive potential, but is nowhere near ready for first grade. It'd be a horrendous desperation mistake to put him in there.

One Warrior

Bench
I'm afraid to say its time to put Stacey on the bench, and use him sparingly when he can make a difference or just drop him. Fein to 7 and bring in Locke at 6.

NZ Warrior

First Grade
You look like a bit of a dickhead now, don't you Ozbash. Let's see how you like getting needled up, before you go out and do your job.

And on Shaun Johnson. I say throw him in the deep end, let's see if he can swim. I'm pretty damn sure he can. You saw today, when you add the likes of Locke & Johnson into a side, how much better they perform.

Meth

Staff member
I'm afraid to say its time to put Stacey on the bench, and use him sparingly when he can make a difference or just drop him.

Exactly what I've said since the start

He has old, tired legs and the only chance he has is when the opposition has some tired legs

tezzah1

Juniors
Stace is a champion and deserves to be out there on the field.

No disrespect for SHAUN Johnson. But he is UP THERE with the top missed tackles count in the NYC competition. Shaun has some flair (no where near Benji when he started) but in the NRL he'd get eaten alive!

What a bout getting rid of Fien and Jones and putting Locke at 6 and Johnson at 7?...couldn't do any harm. know it is highly unlikely but they would know each others game and as Joey Johns says Johnson just has that extra time whenever he does something on the field, he's a rare talent, the same as Locke, both are game breakers and both can kick goals, another bonus.

NZ Warrior

First Grade
What a bout getting rid of Fien and Jones and putting Locke at 6 and Johnson at 7?...couldn't do any harm. know it is highly unlikely but they would know each others game and as Joey Johns says Johnson just has that extra time whenever he does something on the field, he's a rare talent, the same as Locke, both are game breakers and both can kick goals, another bonus.

Ex-f**king-actly!!!

Meth

Staff member
How about-

3- Moon
6- Locke
7- Fien
9- Henderson

14- Hohaia

Scott

Bench
Why are people suggesting Locke at 6 when he is a fullback?
He and Johnson would be destroyed in the NRL at this stage.

I'd put Moon back to 6.
Fein at halfback.
Jones to Vulcans.
Hohaia to left centre.
Ropati to Vulcans - needs a good kick up the arse!!!
Mannering to right centre.
Matulino in the back row - to provide a bit of spark.

Lillyman, Mannering and Luck in the backrow is soooo f**king boring.

I'm afraid to say its time to put Stacey on the bench, and use him sparingly when he can make a difference or just drop him. Fein to 7 and bring in Locke at 6.

Definately his just looking old playing so many minutes, when he was comming of the bench it was great for you guys.

Latest posts