What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stacey Jones

Meth

Staff member
What about this, for now?

1- McKinnon
2- Kemp
3- Ah Van
4- Ropati
5- Vatuvei
6- Moon
7- Fien

8- Rapira
9- Henderson
10- Price
11- Matulino
12- Mannering
13- Luck

Res- Tuimavave, Packer, Royal, Hohaia

Micistm

Bench
Stace is a champion and deserves to be out there on the field.

No disrespect for SHAUN Johnson. But he is UP THERE with the top missed tackles count in the NYC competition. Shaun has some flair (no where near Benji when he started) but in the NRL he'd get eaten alive!

True...but Thurston's missed tackle count is one of the worst in the NRL-It's pretty bad-But what he does instead more than makes up for it. The big problem is if Shaun was thrown in and missed a few tackles, the knives would come out despite the fact most of the Warriors are out of form ATM, and probably couldn't look after him the way they should

NZ Warrior

First Grade
Size doesn't matter in the NRL. You look at the likes of Jamie Soward, Chris Sandow and Preston Campbell (well, what he used to be). Locke & Johnson wouldn't be out of place, in the same weight division as those guys.

They've both looked very good in the NYC. I think the Warriors really need a change in dynamic. We no longer have the biggest forward pack, we have no big offloading backrowers and Stacey Jones isn't what he used to be.

Mannering & Ropati need to have 2-3 weeks off. They have played so much footy, and their form is suffering.

This is the line up I hope Cleary names tomorrow (but he most likely won't):

1. McKinnon
2. Kemp
3. Moon
4. Hohaia
5. Vatuvei

6. Johnson
7. Jones

8. Royal
9. Fien
10. Price
11. Lillyman
12. Luck
13. Henderson

Reserves: Rapira, Packer, Matulino, Locke.

ozbash

Referee
Stace is a champion and deserves to be out there on the field.

No disrespect for SHAUN Johnson. But he is UP THERE with the top missed tackles count in the NYC competition. Shaun has some flair (no where near Benji when he started) but in the NRL he'd get eaten alive!

I like you Tezz, bro :D

Iafeta

Referee
I've been thinking about Locke at 6 for a while too. He has IMO the best vision of any of the players at the club currently. Reminds me a bit of a very raw and young Kurt Gidley. Can spot an opportunity. If we keep losing, it's something to think about, but I'm not sure of it yet. Johnson IMO is still a year or two away, outstanding prospect but can get owned in defence a bit easy and it only gets tougher in first grade.

At the moment, I'd look at;

6 Fien
7 Jones

14 Hohaia

Nothing ground breaking there, but I just wonder if Lance's total game has matured or whether it's just his hooking/fullback play. At times he's been our best ball player without being officially in the chief ball players role. I think Stace still has a gift for understanding the game, but I think father time is catching up a bit with him. What I'd do is use Stacey from minutes 0-30, put Lance into hooker at 20m, then put him into halfback at 30, keep him there till 50m and then bring Stace back into the fold at half. If his game has matured, he may be the guy who can free us up some opportunities, freshen up Stacey a bit and perhaps give us a look towards our halves future. I'm not confident we can pull anyone off the market to the club next year, unless we look at NYC halves who are unproven or ESL halves, maybe a Michael Dobson type player.

Skinner

Coach
Size doesn't matter in the NRL. You look at the likes of Jamie Soward, Chris Sandow and Preston Campbell (well, what he used to be). Locke & Johnson wouldn't be out of place, in the same weight division as those guys.

They've both looked very good in the NYC. I think the Warriors really need a change in dynamic. We no longer have the biggest forward pack, we have no big offloading backrowers and Stacey Jones isn't what he used to be.

I'll say this one more f**king time FOR THE DUMMIES.

It is not size with Nobby, it is strength (or in his case, lack of). There is
no strength in the upper body.

Witness the number of times he is injured......

Don't get me wrong..he's a dynamite little player, always has been. He's got serious strength training to do though, before he could be considered.

One Warrior

Bench
How about-

3- Moon
6- Locke
7- Fien
9- Henderson

14- Hohaia

Yes I'd go with that, exactly the halves pairing I suggested last night, Locke's ready, he's beefed up from last year, he's a game breaker, a future superstar, get him in now.

NZ Warrior

First Grade

Don't get me wrong..he's a dynamite little player, always has been. He's got serious strength training to do though, before he could be considered.

I didn't know upper body weights training could help with knee injuries???

Your short-sightedness is only matched by your stupidity.

Locke is ready, and he's gonna make it big time!!!

Rich102

Staff member
Has Locke ever played 5/8th?
Does he want to play there?

Some questions that need answers before he is shoved in a side that is underperforming.

Personally I think it is too early for either Locke or Johnson.

Skinner

Coach
I didn't know upper body weights training could help with knee injuries???

Your short-sightedness is only matched by your stupidity.

Locke is ready, and he's gonna make it big time!!!

Oh get back in your hole you disloyal little bugger, and let the grown ups
tell you when he is ready.

Blaze

Juniors

Not that I think Locke should be playing first grade but he has put on a huge amount of weight and has been shrugging off players twice his size for fun throughout the NYC season.. on the evidence of the games ive seen he has certainly put on upper body strength

6 Fien
7 Jones

14 Hohaia

Agreed, though Id look at bringing Moon back to 6.

This talk of Locke and Johnson (in particular) is f**king ludacris. Johnson is in NO way ready & Locke has JUST come back from injury. Locke has a lot of work to do before he can be considered to play with the big boys. He would get rag dolled. He has put on weight and but seems to be WAY understrength. I think 2010 is his year.

Last edited:
Skinner - Quick question; in your opinion why is it that NZ rugby league has produced only a handful of consistent, quality halves in the past decade?

Is it to do with a deficiency in their development in NZ, or is it more the physical and mental make-up of these lads?

Skinner

Coach
Skinner - Quick question; in your opinion why is it that NZ rugby league has produced only a handful of consistent, quality halves in the past decade?

Is it to do with a deficiency in their development in NZ, or is it more the physical and mental make-up of these lads?

I think it's a bit of both I mate. We certainly do seem deficient in being able to develop both 6's and 7's. I've seen quite a few good ones in the junior grades, but they seem unable to progress much further.

One fellow I know from the Otahuhu club was a bloody beaut stand-off as a junior. NJC 16's, NJC 18's, Junior Kiwis....he blitzed them all. I believe he was signed with Manly.

Somehow he progressed no further....he is playing for Otahuhu in Fox now.

Perhaps Nobby is a bit of an aberration on the physical side, but more than a few fail on the mental side.

Latest posts