What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stadium violence

Smartman

Juniors
The Colonel said:
True. But I am asking do you have the proof to suggest that what was said did take place. I don't care about media vendettas......

Like i said wouldnt surprise me one bit if it did happen, the writer of the article seemed confident it happened.

Earlier in the year a souths supporter threw something at the ref and all it got was a medium sized article for one day. If it was a Canterbury fan there would be a 10 page liftout.

Zaphod

Juniors
I heard rumours that Witt was on massive money as well, and If he is i can only assume it was Zorbas doing.

As far as I know the maximum he would be on would be $120,000 but I am pretty sure it is closer to $70,000

I can not believe King was given an upgrade, this year. He is cat!

The Colonel

Immortal
I'm not 100% certain but it was suggested that you may need to double that 120k to come up with something a little more accurate.....

Zaphod

Juniors
there is no way Witt would be on that money, I can garuntee that. I will investigate though.

what would you do if one of your starting props had the following performances in 2 games

13 metres, 2 hit ups (a dropped ball for one of them) 40 mins of football
8 meters, 1 hitup 23 mins

Would you
a) Upgrade his contract
b) Name him at starting prop every week because he has "potential"
c) put him on the 8:30 express to redfern

The Colonel

Immortal
Zaphod said:
there is no way Witt would be on that money, I can garuntee that. I will investigate though.

The source on that was pretty good......

what would you do if one of your starting props had the following performances in 2 games

13 metres, 2 hit ups (a dropped ball for one of them) 40 mins of football
8 meters, 1 hitup 23 mins

Would you
a) Upgrade his contract
b) Name him at starting prop every week because he has "potential"
c) put him on the 8:30 express to redfern

d) Sell them to Manly.....;-)

Freak

Juniors
I'd have to agree. Unfortnuately it is all guess work, but he would have to be on triple figures.
Who would be dumb enough to sign a 4 year NRL contract for less than $100K???

And I know he would not have got out of a gauranteed NRL for 4 years unless the money was right that the Eagles were offering.

My guess $120,000 - $150,000

I still think Witty has something to offer. Just a little slow for my liking!

Zaphod

Juniors
Eels are still paying part of his contract up until the end of 07 I believe and the only way it would have been 240,000 is if manly front loaded his contract which they did with nearly all players last year and this year, meaning some of them got massive sums so manly will be under the cap for the next few years and able to spend on bigger name players like orford.

The Colonel

Immortal
He signed a two year deal with Manly that voided the four year deal he signed at Parramatta by my understanding. It was an agreement reached between both parties. As far as I am aware Parramatta don't pay anything for Witt.

Zaphod

Juniors
hmm I have emailed my source to try and find out a bit more info as well as osting on silvertails.net because it is probably worth finding out how much of a ride manly ar ebeing taken for

canteen worker

Juniors
I was at the Stadium and witnessed the fight to which the report on Sportnews referred. I can assure you it happened.

It was just near the entrance closest to the North Eastern exit and was extremely ugly. A handicapped gentleman in a Parra Jersey was using the wall to make his way towards the car park, accidentally bumping another Parra supporter who had some beers. Some was spilt and a shouting match ensued! A person I assume was an aquaintance of the handicapped fellow (also in Parra gear) starting pushing and shouting at the man who was intimidating the poor individual, spilling the rest of the beers. Fisticuffs in the middle of a packed mass of supporters started and the hits were big. It was a very ugly fight and the crowd was scattered with the two man hitting the concrete wall very hard. A few of the wheelchair patrons were very close by. Fortunately after 30 seconds or so of a very ugly brawl a group of security guards arrived and restrained the still struggling opponents.

I walked away at that stage - lucky not to have been caught up in the fracas. A Manly friend remarked " This is what Parra fans do to each other when they win. What would have happened had they lost?"

For the record a Manly supporter very close to us was eventually removed for taunting Parra supporters with calls such as "Where is your sea breeze?", "At least we have a beach!", "Where is your mullet you genius?" and 'Get something done about your buck-teeth" etc

The Colonel

Immortal
canteen worker said:
I was at the Stadium and witnessed the fight to which the report on Sportnews referred. I can assure you it happened.

It was just near the entrance closest to the North Eastern exit and was extremely ugly. A handicapped gentleman in a Parra Jersey was using the wall to make his way towards the car park, accidentally bumping another Parra supporter who had some beers. Some was spilt and a shouting match ensued! A person I assume was an aquaintance of the handicapped fellow (also in Parra gear) starting pushing and shouting at the man who was intimidating the poor individual, spilling the rest of the beers. Fisticuffs in the middle of a packed mass of supporters started and the hits were big. It was a very ugly fight and the crowd was scattered with the two man hitting the concrete wall very hard. A few of the wheelchair patrons were very close by. Fortunately after 30 seconds or so of a very ugly brawl a group of security guards arrived and restrained the still struggling opponents.

I walked away at that stage - lucky not to have been caught up in the fracas. A Manly friend remarked " This is what Parra fans do to each other when they win. What would have happened had they lost?"

Thanks for that.

Copa

Bench
The parts in bold show this guy to be nothing but a racist fool who probably has an agenda.
Then at the conclusion we made our way out of the Stadium surrounded by the human waste that is the average Parramatta supporter. We’d already been thoroughly entertained by the Manly fan in our sector that had enquired of the existence (or lack) of their sea breeze for most of the game before security decided they’d heard enough of the truth.

Now on the way out we were treated to the charming spectacle of a fan of a nationality that normally indulges in these kind of things, belting into a disabled man who’d had the temerity to knock over his beer in the crush. When another man came to the aid of the stunted cripple, he too was soundly belted, firstly by the man of Middle Eastern appearance, before being descended upon by a group of mirror images.

You see, Manly fans aren’t arrogant. We’re just blessed, as a kind of birth right, to support the team that we do. We can’t help it if the scum of the earth have chosen to support every other team.

Having lived on the north shore for over 30 years, I can safely say, this is NOT the general attitude of the majority.

I have attended many games of rugby (Chatswood Oval, Warringah Oval) and also league (North Sydney Oval & Brookvale) over the years. The fight that is described, pales into significance, when compared to some of the fights I have seen/been involved in.

All I can say is - it happens. Generalising, and saying it happens to the "scum" that supports every other team, comes from the brain of a very "challenged" person. From my experience fights generally start wherever alcohol is involved. (I will put my hand up for being involved)

Having read the complete article, and the fact that this "supporter" had to drive six hours, suggests to me that they are a wannabe. Desperate to associate in any way with some of the toffs that live on the peninsula and believe that they in some way are better than the rest of the world. (Commonly known as Jones' or trying to keep up with the Jones')

I would rather stand by a down to earth Parramatta supporter (Or Manly supporter for that matter), than have the arrogant attitude towards all other people, that this person has. They are not better than me, and I will not bring myself to their level by saying they are any worse than me.

My guess would be, that this so called "supporter" is probably supporting the swans now and telling everyone he/she has been a mad supporter for years.

In the end the other team took advantage of several lucky breaks and scored from a distance, the final scoreline of 1-4 an unfair reflection of the game for mine. Nevertheless, the team had acquitted themselves well and had learned a lot
Sounds like this guy/gal cant take being beaten, and is always looking for excuses.

After all is said and done, reading this story has made me all the happier for beating Manly.

Zaphod

Juniors
I actually know who the realist is and he use to live on the beaches, now residing west of the mountains....