What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stalled and stagnant Sydney clubs

Perth Red

Post Whore
So two sellouts this weekend and it was clubs that are apparently stagnant who got it. And both of them are getting brand new grounds soon too

Happy days
Nice to see decent crowds, for a change. And that’s the problem it’s the exception for these clubs not the norm. Maybe the good people of Sydney have turned a corner after 100 years lol

Well you can kick the roosters out that wouldn’t bother me lol
It's good to see Red Rooster promoting the Roosters. They're a Western Australian company, so it's proof we can appeal to sponsors in the fumbleball states. Adding the West Coast Pirates will encourage more businesses from the west to invest in our game.

Wb1234

Referee
Nice to see decent crowds, for a change. And that’s the problem it’s the exception for these clubs not the norm. Maybe the good people of Sydney have turned a corner after 100 years lol
You’d be shocked what kind of crowds league got for club games in the 60s for the match of the round in Sydney

they used to play that game on a Sunday at the scg each week and the crowds were massive

from my time watching league I’ve seen Sydney clubs averaging not much over 5k and 10k was a massive crowd

crowds plateaud a long time ago especially with so many crowd unfriendly tv slots

realistically Sydney clubs won’t average more than 20k at best even with fully upgraded grounds and much better marketing

if we’re being honest the only clubs that really have satisfactory crowds relative to potential is Newcastle and Melbourne

every other club is a bit meh

You’d be shocked what kind of crowds league got for club games in the 60s for the match of the round in Sydney

they used to play that game on a Sunday at the scg each week and the crowds were massive

from my time watching league I’ve seen Sydney clubs averaging not much over 5k and 10k was a massive crowd

crowds plateaud a long time ago especially with so many crowd unfriendly tv slots

realistically Sydney clubs won’t average more than 20k at best even with fully upgraded grounds and much better marketing

if we’re being honest the only clubs that really have satisfactory crowds relative to potential is Newcastle and Melbourne

every other club is a bit meh
If every club averaged no less than 20k then the game would be far richer.

Wb1234

Referee
Yup, and instead of spending money on suburban stadiums, invest in public transport that benefits footy fans (better trips to and from games at centralized stadia) AND those who don't follow sports (better transport options altogether).
You know the nsw govt has spent close to 20 billion on public transport over the past 5 years or so mainly by building light rail but also some heavy rail as well

flippikat

Bench
You know the nsw govt has spent close to 20 billion on public transport over the past 5 years or so mainly by building light rail but also some heavy rail as well
Great, so people should use it to travel to centralized stadiums then!

flippikat

Bench
8pm Friday night should be OK too.. that's 3 hours after work gets out - and 5 hours after school - ample time to get to a game.

Plus doesn't matter if the game ends near 10pm, as the next day is Saturday.

Sounds like the only concerns are 8pm kickoff Thursday eastern time and 6pm Eastern Time Friday.

8pm Thursday (eastern) could problematic with 10pm finish then work on Friday - tough for ANY Eastern team though, not just Sydney hosted games.

6pm Friday (eastern).. well there's a solution for that, and it's a 2nd NZ team.

So only 8pm Thursday is the issue, yeah?

Yup, and instead of spending money on suburban stadiums, invest in public transport that benefits footy fans (better trips to and from games at centralized stadia) AND those who don't follow sports (better transport options altogether).
They'd still come up with some excuse to not attend matches.

I think NSWRL fans are reluctant to admit that there's fewer RL supporters in Sydney than they claim because it destroys the myth about Sydney being the home of the game. It's an important region for RL, but it's not anywhere as parochial for the game as Melbourne is towards AwFuL and that upsets many people because there's a rivalry between the two cities.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Wont work because you can hardly play 2 or 3 games a weekend at these modern venues before they start getting chopped up and needed to be returfed
If Sydney had three or four decent stadiums it would. Wouldn't need to be more than two games a weekend then at any of them.

Colk

First Grade
Doesn't sound like it, sounds like they want 7 or 8 stadiums with 3 good ones and the rest patched up.

Exactly they are investing money in Leichhardt Oval of all places. If they invested in a good stadium north of the harbour, SFS and a couple west (Penrith and somewhere else) then it would make sense

Wb1234

Referee
Great, so people should use it to travel to centralized stadiums then!
Well the sfs will only have two rugby league tenants.
Exactly they are investing money in Leichhardt Oval of all places. If they invested in a good stadium north of the harbour, SFS and a couple west (Penrith and somewhere else) then it would make sense
brookvale is getting redone and that’s north

Colk

First Grade
Well the sfs will only have two rugby league tenants.

brookvale is getting redone and that’s north

I know that. I agree with that redevelopment but Manly is pretty unique (one club with very little other competition in the wider) The only alternatives outside of that redevelopment were to force them to play at the SFS or to kill them off.