What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stapleton probably out for 2 weeks, Leuluai for one

Glenn

First Grade
Hmmmm FWIW with Kylie, seemed to a intentional high shot, made no attempt to go low and wrap up the ball
also can't use the excuse it was only high, because Micky V was falling into the tackle. :evil:

The Colonel

Immortal
Whilst I have been a particularly strong supporter of the NRL and its judiciary and applaud its efforts of trying to stop foul play within our great game it questions start to be asked when incidents seem to be missed or treated softly whilst others are punished to the full extent.

A player who, if he pleads guilty to a high tackle, from the Manly v Parramatta game on the weekend will receive one week suspension. Compared to tackles that have been considered worthy of lengthier suspensions - Nathan Cayless, Monty Betham and Jerry Seu Seu in particular - the grading of the tackle by manly forward Kylie Leuluai seems ridiculous. Whilst the initial point of contact was the point of the shoulder, contact was still made with the neck of the player. A charge of reckless should have been a logical outcome and much more worthy.

The increasing problem is highlighted even more by the fact that a player who retaliated to a punch to the face will receive a longer suspension than the incident mentioned above and the instigator of the said fight.

For it to also rate more of a mention then another incident from the match, where a player lead with his knees to stop an attempt to score, again highlights problems. The incident which would have done far more damage to a player then a punch, had the attempt been successful seems to have been glossed over.

Whilst I do not condone fighting on the football field, for it to be of more concern than two incidents of foul play that could have had more far reaching consequences to the opposition players involved then what eventuated is ludicrous.

This was my email that I sent to the NRL in regards to the incident.

Sean7

Juniors
I don't think a player should ever be suspended for retaliating to a punch. Surely a player is entitled to defend himself, and in many cases it is unsafe not to do so.

And carry over points are a joke. An offence that doesn't warrant a week suspension is exactly that. Commiting two offences that don't warrant a weeks suspension is exactly that too.

Mr_E

Juniors
From the Daily Telegraph:

"Hopoate will escape suspension with an early plea for the fighting charge but will miss one match if found guilty.

Stapleton was also charged with a grade one contrary conduct. He will miss two matches with an early plea and if found guilty."

If both players have the same charge and both take the early plea shouldn't Stapleton only miss one game. If Stapleton has 93 carry over points and Hoppa has none, then for Hoppa to miss no matches would mean that the charge would have a point value of less than 100. If that was the case then wouldn't Staples only miss one match with probably around 180 - 190 points.

Please tell me if I'm wrong

The Engineers Room

First Grade
Mr_E said:

"Hopoate will escape suspension with an early plea for the fighting charge but will miss one match if found guilty.

Stapleton was also charged with a grade one contrary conduct. He will miss two matches with an early plea and if found guilty."

If both players have the same charge and both take the early plea shouldn't Stapleton only miss one game. If Stapleton has 93 carry over points and Hoppa has none, then for Hoppa to miss no matches would mean that the charge would have a point value of less than 100. If that was the case then wouldn't Staples only miss one match with probably around 180 - 190 points.

What you're saying makes sense to me

El Diablo

Post Whore
Mr_E said:

There's probably some kind of loading on it although you'd think Hoppa would get that too considering his past indescretions.

Hoppa has also been suspended once this year too after he gave the ref a spray so you'd think he had carry overs as well :?