What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens

Zoidberg

First Grade

beave

Coach
Im praying to god this doesn't get f**king ruined like the newer 3 did........ Sigh.

Pugzley

So they're going by the expanded universe now? After the empire is defeated? Wonder which book.

perverse

Referee
Abrams won't f**k this up. He did a stellar job with the Star Trek reboot - and he's a big Star Wars fan (and had never even watched Star Trek prior to taking on the reboot). It'll be good.

Zigwaa

Bench
It will be interesting to see whether they pitch it to the younger audience like usual or if they will realise most of their audience is older now and cater to them.

Parra Pride

Coach
Abrams won't f**k this up. He did a stellar job with the Star Trek reboot - and he's a big Star Wars fan (and had never even watched Star Trek prior to taking on the reboot). It'll be good.

This.

The only reason I have any faith in the turning out good is because Abrams is involved.

Springs

First Grade
I don't get the hype about Abrams. I enjoyed the new Star Trek movies but they weren't say, Empire Strikes Back quality, which is what these films will be compared to.
Apart from Star Trek his other productions haven't been anything to write home about really.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
I don't get the hype about Abrams. I enjoyed the new Star Trek movies but they weren't say, Empire Strikes Back quality, which is what these films will be compared to.
Apart from Star Trek his other productions haven't been anything to write home about really.

Have to agree. Over rated IMO, but he did impress me with the Star Trek reboot (having watched very little of it previously). Was able to tell a story to the new audience while maintaining a connection with the old that didn't insult either sides intelligence.

I think he'll do a good job here, but believe there will still be a fair bit of grumbling from the older generation when it comes out.

perverse

Referee
LOST was an excellent show while Abrams was involved. Cloverfield was good. The Mission Impossible's that he made were very popular (not my cup of tea - can't stand Tom Cruise). Fringe is a great TV show. Alias was pretty good... and as stated previously, the new Star Trek reboot was a superb conversion of a hardcore sci-fi into sci-fi/action without pissing off the old guard too much (no mean feat).

The guy has a pretty good resume imo. The best resume in the business for this exact project - there is no more perfect pick for these movies. Super 8 was underwhelming (not terrible, though)... and a few of his other projects haven't been fantastic... but all in all, he's a quality director and producer. I don't think he's over-rated.

He also wrote the screenplay for Armageddon - which was one of the best popcorn disaster flicks of the era.

Last edited:

LESStar58

Referee
I will bet my life savings that Han Solo will die in this film.

Lawrence Kasdan (who I am THRILLED is comning on board as it means this film won't be a total clusterf**k!) has stated many times over the years that during the production for Return Of The Jedi that he felt that "someone had to go". Harrison Ford also suggested that it be Han Solo that was killed but George Lucas said no.

IIRC Lando Calrissian was meant to die when the Millenium Falcon was engullfed in flames escaping the burning Death Star in an early first draft of "jedi".

perverse

Referee
I'm just so happy that Lucas is only a consultant on this movie. These have to be much better than the prequels, they can't possibly be any worse.

Zoidberg

First Grade
The thing I find with J.J is I don't think he completes his films/shows up to the standard he sets them up. They start off great with so much potential but he can't finish them off.

This may be perfect for the first new chapter of this trilogy. He doesn't have to round up everything nicely, just has to set up what's going on, what our new threat is. As far as I'm aware, he isn't confirmed to be involved in anymore than this first film. He may very well be signed later on to complete the trilogy or they may want to hire a new director for each film, who knows?

Last edited:

Springs

First Grade
LOST was an excellent show while Abrams was involved. Cloverfield was good. The Mission Impossible's that he made were very popular (not my cup of tea - can't stand Tom Cruise). Fringe is a great TV show. Alias was pretty good... and as stated previously, the new Star Trek reboot was a superb conversion of a hardcore sci-fi into sci-fi/action without pissing off the old guard too much (no mean feat).

The guy has a pretty good resume imo. The best resume in the business for this exact project - there is no more perfect pick for these movies. Super 8 was underwhelming (not terrible, though)... and a few of his other projects haven't been fantastic... but all in all, he's a quality director and producer. I don't think he's over-rated.

He also wrote the screenplay for Armageddon - which was one of the best popcorn disaster flicks of the era.

Fringe is good. Alias, Cloverfield, Super 8.. not really.

The screenplay was pretty much the worst thing about Armageddon. Pretty much none of it makes sense. It's the disaster scenes that are cool.

T.S Quint

Coach
Not sure about his other shows, but Abrams had little involvement in LOST after getting it all set up.
Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse are pretty much responsible for the entire show.

Abrams' directorial efforts have been very good. The first episode of LOST was done well, and his films are all excellently made. He has a great visual style. Him directing from a Kasdan script is a very good combination.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Not sure about his other shows, but Abrams had little involvement in LOST after getting it all set up.
Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse are pretty much responsible for the entire show.

Abrams' directorial efforts have been very good. The first episode of LOST was done well, and his films are all excellently made. He has a great visual style. Him directing from a Kasdan script is a very good combination.

Agreed. Write/Director/Producer and he doesn't do all three often. He wrote 3 episodes of Lost and directed the 2 pilot episodes. Wrote 6 episodes of Fringe, directed none etc

He's very good at concepts, but the execution has lacked in a lot of his work.

However, in regards to Star Wars (as evident from Star Trek) is that given something that already has a lot of meat on the bones as far as character/plot goes he is very respectful of those origins and adds his own style without destroying the things that made it good originally.

I think Abrams will do a fantastic job on Star Wars, but still not all he's hyped up to be.

His biggest talent is away from the story/camera as a producer. He knows how to set it up, get the right people, communicate the vision and get people buying into it.