What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stars get behind England

It's a great vid. We'll beat the aussies. Maybe not this weekend, but one day, and soon. Too many aussie league personalities (rabs even!) and fans are content to watch the international game struggle, even though it will ultimately undermine the NRL if the game doesn't grow...and that will be your undoing.

Many Australians are insular. Hopefully their children get it.

expansionist

Juniors
He is a Sheffield Wednesday Fan isn't he?

He may support Sheffield Wednesday but Parky is a RL fan I remember reading something of his about being introduced to the game as a school boy, and about how he still considers it the ' finest winter sport' obviously this was a while ago now...

deluded pom?

Coach
He is a Sheffield Wednesday Fan isn't he?

I hope not, he's from Barnsley. He may consider RL the finest sport but the only time I've ever seen him at a game is when it' a challenge cup final freebie. Kudos to Stuart Lancaster though. I never thought I'd see the day when the England RU coach was wishing the England RL team all the best.

nadera78

Juniors
I've heard Parkinson say he started going to Challenge Cup Finals because the accents, etc, reminded him of home. He's a professional northerner really, always talking about how great it is but he left as soon as he made some money.

Great video though.

I read Michael Parkinson's autobiography recently - he's always seemed to have a great love of Australia (he's spent a lot of time in Sydney), an interesting take on the supposed similarities between Yorkshiremen and Australians and I'd seen somewhere that he was a Rugby league man (a Keighley supporter of all things)... However, if he is, he didn't see it as important enough to warrant a single mention in his autobiography. Meanwhile, Yorkshire County Cricket Club, Barnsley CC and Barnsley FC all receive about a dozen mentions each... and no references to Rugby league from the chapters dealing with his life and work in Sydney.

Springs

First Grade
I know Michael Palin once wrote a rugby league sketch for Monty Python, so I'd say he does know a bit about league at least.

deluded pom?

Coach
Plain is from Sheffield and will have left for the bright lights of the south long before the Eagles came along. I find it hard to believe he knows much about league.

Latest posts