What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Starting 17 for 2012 ?

Tiger_Gold

Juniors
1. Reddy
2. Tuqiri
3. Ayshford
4. Lawrence
5. Ryan
6. Marshall
7. Moltzen
8. Blair
9. Farah
10. Galloway
11. Fulton
12. Ellis
13. Heighington

14. Humble
15. Murdoch-Masila
16. Groat
17. Woods

TrigaTheTiger

Juniors
Meltiger -

I agree - to an extent - but big backrowers are doing time in the front row in nearly all clubs now.....

Its not really THAT cutting edge.....

Tigers Tale

Juniors
So far as running just props on your bench, Manly has had very good success doing this for the past few years. They seem to have back rowers that can go the full 80 minutes and they just rotate their props. I know this practice can take a toll at the end of the season on players but we have 80 minute players in Ellis, Fulton and Hino.

My preference is not to see Blair spend the majority (or any) of his time at prop, in fact, I couldn't think of anything worse. I'd like to see him on the other side of the field running the opposite angles Ellis does (like Dwyer was starting to find).

We are at our best when scoring points. Sure our defence has picked up really well the past few years and I think Folkes has to be given credit for that but Blair is an attacking buy in my opinion so use him for that and let the other props (Keith, Woods, Groat, Bell and BMM) do that role.

Have waffled on like I have, I forgot Sheens likes to run a back on the bench....

magpie guy

Juniors
I could see a side of

1. Brown
2. Tuqiri
3. Ayshford
4. Lawrence
5. Ryan
6. Marshall
7. Moltzen
13. Heighington
12. Ellis
11. Blair
10. Galloway
9. Farah
8. Woods

14. Fulton
15. Bell
16. Groat
17. BMM

This would be fairly effective. Fulton giving any of the back 3 a breather should they need it as well as being able to cover for multiple positions (hooker, 5/8, centre). He could even be used in the prop rotation by pushing Blair up.

I envisage that Reddy will probably get a run but I dont see him filling a role that Ayshford/Brown cant fill. I would also like to see Miller and Grant (/a fast athletic winger) get a run at some stage.

In any case; Woods, Groat and BMM all need to step up for us to be around in September.

shasha

Juniors
& it will fail, just like it did with Harrison.

If Blair plays his natural game as a backrower, who do we have on the field carting the ball forward, we need 4 genuine props in the side. Not just Keith, Woods & Groat. We saw how a 3 man prop rotation fails when Gibbs got injured in the semi.

Also doesn't work when you have Groat being one of those 3 way rotations.

Is only a sloth!

Skitz68

Juniors
Good to have depth in the squad for a change . Still think 7 and 1 is uncertain but definitley need a 7 with a kicking game that can steer the team around and be able to defend well too.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Heighington is not an 80 minute player. Blair, Ellis and Fulton are.

Bubbles do you have inside info on this one?

Heighington is not an 80 minute player. Blair, Ellis and Fulton are.

Bubbles do you have inside info on this one?

Miller and Tedesco are very much in the mix, it all depends on Moltz and where he plays.

Tedesco is a gun and is going to be given his chance, unlike Mullaney who was considered to have a few deficiencies.

Fingerbang

Bench
Bubbles.....what about wingers. Don't you have a few young huge islander kids who played under 20's on the wing? Any of them likely to get a start over Lote.....who is slowing down, and more susceptible to injury these days.

meltiger

First Grade
Meltiger -

I agree - to an extent - but big backrowers are doing time in the front row in nearly all clubs now.....

Its not really THAT cutting edge.....

No I agree, I mean realistically bar for a few positions most players can double as a "backrower" these days. So they are interchangeable.

My issue with Blair is the type of player he is. At a pinch, he could play there sure but as part of the perm rotation? It's Harrison all over again. Played shithouse as prop for us, then went off and starred for NZ in the backrow.

It's same as that Benji to FB silliness. Why take a player away from his strengths to cover a position of weakness?

I also apologies for the tone of my post last week. My annoyance is with Sheens not anyone on the thread :)

Last edited:

meltiger

First Grade
Miller and Tedesco are very much in the mix, it all depends on Moltz and where he plays.

Tedesco is a gun and is going to be given his chance, unlike Mullaney who was considered to have a few deficiencies.

What sort of size does Tedesco have?

I actually think club made right call on Jake. He had an amazing second half of the season the year the 20s made the GF but was he first grade capable? I dunno, we will see what Kearney does with him.

Fingerbang

Bench
I think Miller will be a lot better halfback than Moltzen.....but not if alongside Benji. Moltzen can do the flashy individual stuff and leave all the organizing to Benji. I think Miller and Benji working together, they would not gel. Miller seems to want to organize as well, and could possibly get in each others way.

Bubbles.....what about wingers. Don't you have a few young huge islander kids who played under 20's on the wing? Any of them likely to get a start over Lote.....who is slowing down, and more susceptible to injury these days.

There are 7 under 20's training with the big boys at the moment.

People like Mullaney and Towney and even Fifita didn't ever make it in our top squad more due to attitude and ticker more than ability.

Ben Murdoch Masila is another one that needs to lift, just like Mataka and Teo, super ability but with limited motivation and mongrel.

Latest posts