What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

State of Origin 1 - 2024

Gardenia

Juniors
Hynes was terrible
Such a nice guy but unfortunately I have to agree the enormity of the occasion obviously got the better of him. It will be interesting to see what Madge does. They also need some speed in that Blues team.

Gardenia

Juniors
hunt as a hooker either gives quick service or runs straight.
hunt as a half gives slow service and runs sideways .. sure he lays on a try or so a game but kills the teams momentum and takes time/space away from our edges. More often than not and plays right to the expense of our left.
I mean Ray had a blinder becuase he was actually given quick ball from direct running halves which gave him time and more impoortantly the ability to run at single players not gang tackles.

No wonder when he didnt play we scored on our left. Wouldnt surprise me if the dragons were actually the worst side at left side scoring in the comp.

Hunt is a fantastic 9. The big plusses in his game also come from 9 ie some of his 40-20 efforts. But as a 7 he is mediocre at best. The fact that every play has to run through him means that there is no surprise his try invovlements are high - he is involved in every bloody play.
He doesn't run like that for us to score tries. Found his second gear in the Maroons and lacking effort in the red and white.

Gardenia

Juniors
The Sendoff ruined that game. I would have hated to buy tickets and go to the efforts to watch a one-sided game.

Basically, it gives NSW an excuse and you couldn't really see how bad they were. I hope Madge has some balls and makes the changes needed.

I thought about it and really should have switched it off at that 8-minute mark.

Adolf_Spritzer

Juniors
Definitely need Burtons bombs from hell and Moses confidence and finesse to come close the standing a chance. I think its over for 2024 for the Blues.
I dont see the point of replacing an overrated halfback for an overrated centre cum 5/8, Burton has a hell of a bomb but not much else.

This Year?

Immortal
I actually enjoyed watching that merkin get knocked out. I know it's a terrible thing to say about a player, but f**k him after seeing this.

Last edited:

rasaint

Juniors
I would have Moses ( tremendous kicker and blistering speed) at half.

Bring in Lattell Mitchell at centre. Big game player. Also big frame and very fast. Centre is his best position imo.

Zac did what I expected. Made two very good catches including his try, barged forward with determined carrys. Got turnstiled by Cobbo ( true many players do!) in defence and simply too slow at Origin level. Need wingers who can dash for try’s in tight spaces and turn and chase down when breaks occur. Not sure which wingers are available in origin rules but Nick Meaney, Reimis Smith, Daniel Tupou off top of head. I think Johnson from south’s injured like the fox at the moment are others.

Luia had a good game and should stay 5/8.

offiah

Juniors
I’ve never understood how that is a send off? Suallii would have hit him in the chest if Reece doesn’t drop a foot a split second before contact. Sin bin at most for trying to put a hit on and it going bad. If he launched upward at head height, that should be a send off. The only way to avoid what happened is to not hit hard and have pillows for shoulders.

Last edited:

Walpole

Juniors
I’ve never understood how that is a send off? Suallii would have hit him in the chest if Reece doesn’t drop a foot a split second before contact. Sin bin at most for trying to put a hit on and it going bad. If he launched upward at head height, that should be a send off. The only way to avoid what happened is to not hit hard and have pillows for shoulders.
Picture Suaali making the exact same tackle on a Dragons player in the ANZAC game. Still think it's not a send off?

2010Dragons

Bench
Dirtiest tackle ever.. yeh OK
He wrapped his arms
Walsh was falling
Careless at best
What game were you watching?
He deliberately points his shoulder into Walsh head. He knocked him out cold.
He will be suspended at least 4 weeks.

offiah

Juniors
Picture Suaali making the exact same tackle on a Dragons player in the ANZAC game. Still think it's not a send off?
Yep, if the dragons player drops at the last fraction of a second to change it from a chest shot to a head high. For me, if there’s no intent to hit the head - 10 in the bin.

Last edited:

hewi

Bench
Yep, if the dragons player drops at the last fraction of a second to change it from a chest shot to a head high. For me, if there’s no intent to hit the head - 10 in the bin.

IMO you nail the key to it he wasn’t looking at Walsh therefore there was no intent. If Walsh hadn’t dropped it was chest contact.

Dragon David

First Grade
All our players were very good.
Hynes was poor.
Yeo to start.
Overall our guys did play pretty good -

Hunt played his usual good game for the Maroons as hooker backing up DCE for his first try and then breaking tackles and running 40 metres to score his second.

Jaydn Su'a strong in attack and defence for the Maroons.

Zac Lomax took the ball up hard and made ground in his many carries and scored a great try from a high kick. A couple of defensive lapses though.

Once Suaalii got sent off, the final result was obvious.

Bring on SOO 2.

kit66

Bench
They've been tweaking the rules for years to make the game faster and more flowing with less stoppages so a send off will ruin a game at this level and who does it punish - not just the culprit but his whole team and their fans as well as spoiling the spectacle for everyone. Even a 10 minute sin bin or two can decide a game these days let alone a send off. I understand the duty of care to individual players but what about the 12 players left on the field ? Later in that game I heard Slater remark "there hasn't been a stoppage for 4 1/2 minutes and some of these guys will be red lining", where's the duty of care there.
I don't know the answer but the send off rules in the modern game will have to be looked at. I reckon send the errant player off but allow that team to replace him with a bench player to maintain 13 on field so the penalty will be to only have 3 on the bench for the rest of the game, that's fair and keeps things sensible.

Last edited:

Old Timer

Coach
6' plenty v's 5' nothing means you must have perfect technique and not have any early shoulder involvement in the tackle.

His tackle had intent to inflict damage and he fully deserved being sent off and hopefully he gets 4+ weeks for it.

Even if Walsh was at full height he would have got hit in the head.

Old Timer

Coach
They've been tweaking the rules for years to make the game faster and more flowing with less stoppages so a send off will ruin a game at this level and who does it punish - not just the culprit but his whole team and their fans as well as spoiling the spectacle for everyone. Even a 10 minute sin bin or two can decide a game these days let alone a send off. I understand the duty of care to individual players but what about the 12 players left on the field ? Later in that game I heard Slater remark "there hasn't been a stoppage for 4 1/2 minutes and some of these guys will be red lining", where's the duty of care there.
I don't know the answer but the send off rules in the modern game will have to looked at. I reckon send the errant player off but allow that team to replace him with a bench player to maintain 13 on field so the penalty will be to only have 3 on the bench for the rest of the game, that's fair and keeps things sensible.
Your post means that coaches would develop a way to dispense with an opposition play maker late in a close club game let alone a semi or GF.

Belllamy would love to find a new way to rort the rules like the wrestle, the chicken wing, the crusher, the hip drop etc.