What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

State of Origin 2024

Matua

Bench
I get your stance on Origin and point of it being raised in NZ threads. I tell people who get offended on what's on the TV.

"You don't have to watch it. You can change the channel or turn it the thing off"

Similar to here just don't click anything Origin based and you can be free of this Origin talk in NZ Threads. You just can't control what other people are going to raise.

I love the Kiwis FYI and I quite often frown upon this overrated shit feast that is Origin.

I am glad I get to talk about Origin in this matter lol
Oh, I don't mind if people talk Origin, but I'm going to use the thread as soapbox to point out that a supposed NZ section focusses more on it than the Kiwis. ;)

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
I disagree. Billy Slater has given a great explanation with regards to habits. He did exactly the same last year with Gagai & then Cobbo.

Off the top of my head, Jake & DCE both captaining from Manly,I remember Laurie Daley & Mal Meninga both captaining while playing for Canberra. Is this the only other time? Possibly Fittler & Lam from the Roosters??
Tallis and co get all high and mighty on their soap box about how Queensland never drops anyone, add Ponga to the mix and that’s 4 guys in the last couple of years alone. Tbh I just find it painful how the Queensland hosts and panellists carry on at this time of year

I heard mentioned that 2000 was the last time the 2 captains came from the same club, not sure who they were though

Scott

Bench
Tallis and co get all high and mighty on their soap box about how Queensland never drops anyone, add Ponga to the mix and that’s 4 guys in the last couple of years alone. Tbh I just find it painful how the Queensland hosts and panellists carry on at this time of year

I heard mentioned that 2000 was the last time the 2 captains came from the same club, not sure who they were though
2000 would have been Fittler & Lam.

Personally, i find it painful how they all go on about Origin. It's a massive wankfest. Great quality of code though.

2000 would have been Fittler & Lam.

Personally, i find it painful how they all go on about Origin. It's a massive wankfest. Great quality of code though.
Ha yea that's a good way to describe some of the carry on.

IMO, Origin still sits on a pedestal that stems from 25-30yrs ago when they could justifiably say it featured the 26 best players on the planet.

It hasn't been that way for a while now but as long as the media is full of people from that earlier era, Origin will keep being glorified beyond what it probably deserves.

I still do enjoy it though.

Blair

Coach
nah
I like watching NSW and Qld go at it. Leave it alone
And NZ wouldn't get a fair-go anyway. It'd be NSW v Qld in the final, they'd make sure of that, one way or another.

We have 1997 as a template.

On brighter news, the Blues are in camp here in the Blue Mountains! I'll see them strolling through Katoomba for sure. I don't make a big deal of players off the field but, if I get a quiet moment, I'll congratulate Mitch on making his debut from the Warriors.

Let's hope he makes the game-day 17.

JJ

Immortal
Like some of the NSW selections, others not so much…, surely you can’t start McInnes ahead of Yeo???

and API should be 9 imo, but presumably there’s a game plan reason but jeepers thats a strange one

Last edited:

Big Marn

Bench
anyone watch the face to face on fox last night with wally lewis? the promo looked interesting.

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
As someone who typically goes for QLD (I guess from the previous Warrior connections in Marsh, Campion and Lillyman etc)

This season, I'll be going for NSW cause of Mitch

Scott

Bench
Harry Grant is sick.
Coach Maguire cut his head. May require stitches.

More news as it comes to hand. Real drama in the State of Origin wankfest buildup.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Harry Grant is sick.
got the flu? There’s a brutal strain doing the rounds, I had it a couple of weeks back and deadset couldn’t get out of bed for 2-3 days and was off work for a week. I reckon it’d knock you out of high level sport for a couple of weeks easy.

JJ

Immortal
Queensland are always up against it with injuries and illness in camp - wouldn't be origin without that, and then the player in question putting in an heroic against all odds miracle performance... that Queensland spirit is just something else

Blair

Coach
Day one of the Blues' camp here in the Blue Mountains and I haven't seen any sight of them. With the sun shining I'd have thought they would've announced their arrival with a quick stroll around town, it would be the polite thing to do, but no.

The forecast is grim. They had their one shot. The cold and mist is theirs to deal with now, alone!

Last edited: