What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

State of Origin Bolters

I know we're still weeeeeeeeks away from Origin selections, but I thought I'd put this idea out there.

Who do you think has been performing really well that could get a look in for Origin, that may not have been considered?

I don't mean guys like Matt Cooper, Ben Ross, etc... because they've been talked about a lot as Origin hopefuls even though they haven't played an Origin game yet. I mean really obscure picks that no one's talked about that could easily do the job (eg. Phil Bailey last year came out of nowhere).

Okay, my picks:

1. Daniel Abraham - Really underrated IMO.
2. Amos Roberts - Surely his form warrants consideration, and it's not just for his try-scoring abilities either, he's been really good under the high ball.
3. Mark Minichiello - A massive workhorse. He runs the ball hard and is a great defender. Geez that Minichiello bloodline is impressive...

If I had to pick someone from Canberra I'd definitely go Michael Hodgson. Now that he's healthy for a long period, he's probably been one of our most consistant forwards and is very underrated IMO, but he's probably not up to this standard yet.

What do you reckon?

Razor

Coach
For QLD

Scott Donald
Anthony Watmough

For NSW

Dean Young
Only if Craig Wing is injured, but as a the bench utility player Kurt Gidley

Pazza

First Grade
Eric Grothe Jnr, his form for Parra has been awesome and if he continues he will have to figure strongly in Origin selections. His hitups are better than most wingers in the competition and has a awesome ability to score long range tries.

Pazza

First Grade
Luke Burt and John Morris are 2 other young players that are playing really well at Parramatta this season that wouldnt be out of place in a rep side.

Southernsaint

Staff member
Cooper & Thompson, from Saints.

However, the selectors have shown their hand by picking Hindmarsh for Australia. There's only one spot for their type of player in the NSW side. Still, Thommo will play the house down for City regardless.

Choc Mundine fights on May 5, that will give him time to be ready to play five-eighth for The Blues.

Cheers,
Ben S.

t-ba

Post Whore
NPK said:
I didn't know Watmough was a Queenslander.

Neither Does he :lol: . He's been playing for the Eagles since Harold Matthews, so it's impossible for him to be eligible for QLD.

Razor

Coach
t-ba the hutt said:
NPK said:

Neither Does he :lol: . He's been playing for the Eagles since Harold Matthews, so it's impossible for him to be eligible for QLD.

I read somewhere that he was signed from QLD when he was 16.

thuganomics

Coach
Cooper & Thompson & Kurt Gidley & M.Minichello are definitly Dark Horses. Although Daniel Abraham i think will get a bench spot this year.

Red Bear

Referee
Cooper, Thomson etc names mentioned.
What about Preston Campbell, he could be a darkhorse for NSW to.
Whats Grothe like in defence?

t-ba

Post Whore
Razor said:
t-ba the hutt said:
NPK said:

I read somewhere that he was signed from QLD when he was 16.

Must of read about someone else. To cut a long story short, he was already supporting his 1 year old daughter working construction on the North Shore by the time he was 16.

woodgers

Bench
Am experiencing technical difficulties or are you guys talking about Lance Thompson? If so, Origin is officially dead. \

Red Bear

Referee
woodgers said:
Am experiencing technical difficulties or are you guys talking about Lance Thompson? If so, Origin is officially dead. \
Thompson is one of the form players in the comp at the moment, and if is picked at origin i wouldnt mind. Hindmarsh Fitzy n Fletcher are still ahead of him tho, as is kennedy. To many damn second rowers in NSW.

Latest posts