What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

State of origin series

martielang

Bench
Hard to disagree with the majority. Thought overall Cleary had a relatively good game but also thought there were several occasions when he could’ve kicked earlier to turn QLD around. He and Luai seemed a bit isolated at times.

Need to pick legit edge back rowers next year. Posed no threat on the edge which gave Luai / Cleary / Teddy no space. Thought Martin did well but he should be coming off the bench and playing up the middle, he’s not an edge.

Yeo passed the ball way too much last night. Looked heaps better game 2 when he ran the ball.

Critta is just average. Made some huge defensive plays in our final run last year - bless his soul - but failed to deliver much else.

You’re not going to drop Teddy but I’d love to see how Edwards would perform at origin. You’d imagine he’d keep our attack more direct.

Munky

Coach
With a bit more time to think about it I don't think Cleary was as bad as I thought last night.

He took control for the final twenty minutes of the first half and looked like NSW would run away with it.

Then the errors started and kept going.

Major issue was the fifth tackle kicks with nothing mid field bombs.

chrisD

Coach
They went wide off the ruck early in their sets out of their own end and the NSW wide defence was soft and lazy. It's up to Cleary, Martin, Luai and A.Crichton to set the standard there and they failed.

They rushed up on Cleary and Luai and that was simply enough to shut them down. Cleary and Luai weren't brave enough in response. Opposition teams will be looking at that to shut us down but it's different when you've got Kikau running off Luai's hip.

The Penrith defensive combinations let us down. DCE thoroughly outplayed Cleary. Martin isn't good enough for this level. If the fullbacks are injured Staggs is the next best centre in NSW and it isn't close and he shouldn't have been dropped. If Crichton plays SOO it should be on the wing. There should be two middle forwards on the bench, he thrashed Trbojevic to death and Yeo is playing 80, just a dead tired middle.

Sime_11

Juniors
losing Cam Murray was biggest loss for NSW - the one NSW edge forward who offers more than hit ups and tackles - if Murray wasn't gone, we would be minimum 18-6 at HT. not having Trell and Turbo showed how poor NSW edge forwards are currently.

we just shit the bed 2nd half - seemed to be a game of 2 halves for NSW, looked outstanding in the first half at times and just WTF moments in the second half.

DCE kicking options easily outplayed Nathan and whilst Ponga & Teddy had similar stats, Ponga was just another level tonight- I finally saw the million dollar player that Ponga can be - he was outstanding for QLD. Nathan made Ponga look even better by kicking straight to him all night.

I expect the boys will be hurting after this, it is a good thing for us Panther fans - i expect the boys to really push hard now towards September.

Here's hoping a NSW loss is like the Rabbitohs Finals Week 1 loss from last year - the reality check we need to go back to back :)

Fangs

Coach
We really missed having Latrell or Tom taking carries out of our half. Burton and Crichton aren't of that quality. To'o was okay but Tupou looked like he was running injured.

Looking at it now I think Wighton would have helped us a lot with that.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
If the Panther players were as bad as some of the Forum "Experts" are making out, we can relax knowing we will have zero players selected in 2023.

Martin, Crichton, and Luai will not be there next year (injuries notwithstanding), Api won't be a Panther anymore, so we will be down to 3 at best. It is what it is.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
Luai might hold on for 1 more year
Possibly, but he is widely hated by many non-Panthers fans, making it easier to drop him the second anyone shows a smidgen of better form. If poster boy Hynes plays halfway decent in the first half of next year, I think he will get the first crack (Of course, this is assuming a rational coach, but it's Fittler, so.... yeah).

Smug Panther

First Grade
The more I think about it the more I'm disappointed in our boys not backing Burton up, especially Martin and Yeo. Letting Tino target a good mate all night and doing sweet f**k all to protect him. Was cowardly really

hindy111

Post Whore
Garbage.

When a QLD 5/8th on debut runs for more metres then a NSW starting prop.. that tells you where the issue is

Burton exposed badly in defense.
Crighton garbage all series.
Talaki has had 4 good games in NRL and picked.

Wighton best player on field game 1 misses out.
Matterson in career form dropped

It was a close game in QLD who has a better spine. Hunt,Ponga,Grant,DCE and Munster when fit.
Does NSW have anyone as creative and as good with ball in hand as any of these guys?
Nathan's an awesome player but more a game manager. Luai is more a jack rabbit and unpredictable. Teddy just has a run game. Korisau is probably the most creative.

QLD have better players in more important positions.

hindy111

Post Whore
And thw only reason im sooo frustrated about naths kicking is its happened nost of this year.

Most on here just see us het the two points and think damn we are playing well.

I dont give a shit about origin..

But naths kicking this year has been not up to an elite standard.

Hes mid field bombs are a deadset pisstake.

Its fine if hes mixing it up.

But every f@cking kick.....

Even we we got down their end he put in a shit cross field half bomb.... that had no effect..

Remember when cronk and jt and smith used to put grubbers in set after set to just break nsw....

I love nathan. Hes one of my favs. Hes going to be probs our best ever for penrith.

But atm he has still a fair bit to work on.

Put it this way, of he had dces kicking tonight we win imo.

Again im not trying to blame him.

I just want to see him do better because we will probs need him to be better than that in the finals.

The bomb midfield and pressure might work i regular season games against average teams...

Come finals when refs put the whistle away and its do or die your half has to deliver.

Naths kicking in game 1 and 3 imo was extremley poor and it wa a big factor in us losing the series.

Moses kicking games been great. Better player then Luai

hindy111

Post Whore
I've deleted my comment because I've realised I can't be bothered with someone who indulges in being a small minded troll.

It's fact. Moses is the best kicking game halfback currently in the NRL. He leads try assists I think as well? Very creative and a great running game. Problem is his defense is average and he can't stick to a game plan and is easily flustered. But Nathan would run the show so Moses wouldn't need to so would compliment him perfectly.

You feel Luai is a better player? Talk about bias.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
It's fact. Moses is the best kicking game halfback currently in the NRL. He leads try assists I think as well? Very creative and a great running game. Problem is his defense is average and he can't stick to a game plan and is easily flustered. But Nathan would run the show so Moses wouldn't need to so would compliment him perfectly.

You feel Luai is a better player? Talk about bias

hindy111: I've said my piece. I will leave it there.

Iamback

Coach
Cleary needs to remember to kick the team out of trouble. Early kicks into the corners, 40/20s etc. He was doing it last year when Penrith were under pressure even in their own 30m but it's gone entirely this year.

Luai can also get all the way f**ked going off at a player knocked out and nearly needing a stretcher. I hate him as much as any rival after that.

When does he need to do that in club level though?

As for Luai. There was 4 in the tackle I doubt anyone knew the situation at that stage. Would just be a crowd of players

Latest posts