What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

State of origin series

Murraymob1

Juniors
Nsw played safety first trying not to lose.
Qld played attacking footy trying to win at origin level that’s the difference

Girds89

Bench
Nathan was far better than Luai behind that pissweak pack
You just fail to see what actually wins a game mate lol.

Dce did nothing special all night.. had no gi or munster or smith or thurston or billy moments.

He did the cronk thing.. he just kicked so well. He just turned the blues around all night and did it early.

Nath didnt. He really really had a shocker with hes kicking.

All the mistakes the blues made came im our own 20m..... guess were dces kicks finished....

Origin is all about mistake free footy and playing the pressure game... nath didmt apply any pressure with his kicking tonight...

And you know what.. i only say all this like i have all bloody year because he needs to be better.

I promise you in a final or gf he will need to profuce better kicking than tonight.

Nath can win a game when we are on the fromt foot.. tonight he didnt play like a joey or a cronk or a thurston. He played like a moses.

WestyLife

First Grade
I said about 6 weeks ago id let critta go to the dolphins. A few got angry at me.

Have said for 2 years he is nowhere near manus level.... hes just not an elite centre. Turbo and latrell are 100x better.

Tago is seriously already as good as critta..

If critta demands a pay rise next contract he can go.

Good nrl centre but hes not world class

He's got so much physical potential but it's not really paying off this year particularly. Maybe he really should be a winger I don't know.

CCJohnC

Juniors
You just fail to see what actually wins a game mate lol.

Dce did nothing special all night.. had no gi or munster or smith or thurston or billy moments.

He did the cronk thing.. he just kicked so well. He just turned the blues around all night and did it early.

Nath didnt. He really really had a shocker with hes kicking.

All the mistakes the blues made came im our own 20m..... guess were dces kicks finished....

Origin is all about mistake free footy and playing the pressure game... nath didmt apply any pressure with his kicking tonight...

And you know what.. i only say all this like i have all bloody year because he needs to be better.

I promise you in a final or gf he will need to profuce better kicking than tonight.

Nath can win a game when we are on the fromt foot.. tonight he didnt play like a joey or a cronk or a thurston. He played like a moses.
Why were NSW not on the front foot?

Pomoz

Bench
None of our players acquitted themselves very well. Crichton is not SOO quality, he is a good first grader and that's it. I have some sympathy for him throwing the ball dead, a NSW player should have been supporting him he had his hand free for 10 seconds and we could have made a line break.

Martin - Undecided about Martin, he missed a lot of tackles.
Cleary - not his best game. Went into his shell. Try assist was good.
Luai - Ok. He tried to get things going. His pass into touch was bad, but if he sticks the pass we score.
Yeo - Ok.
Too - Ok.
Api - Ok. Try assist was good but he run for 20m.
Crichton - Bad. Not at this level.

Not sure why Burton goes to the bin. He was under assault and has to defend himself. Two QLD on one NSW player. Not sure how Tino's swinging arm isn't ten in the bin. Piss weak refereeing.

Not sure why Burrton wasn't given the opportunity to kick more when we had the field position. Bad game plan.

In the end, QLD were more dangerous with the ball and played more skilfully. They had Grant, Hunt, DCE, Ponga and Dearden all ball playing. It caused real confusion at times. Yes I know we had Tedesco, Cleary, Yeo, Api and Luai. But Api is not a ball player like Grant or Hunt and Tedesco is not a ball player. We were pedestrian in attack and didn't use the extra bench player advantage very wisely.

Panther ball doesn't work when the other team is just as fit and stop your roll on. You never get the space to break the line. You need ball movement to do it and that's not our strength. We needed Turbo and Latrell to give us that point of difference, but NSW were bogged down trying to ruck the ball up the field and were very unadventurous. Panther fans have seen that type of "midfield bomb" toiling before. It was exacerbated by QLD moving up quickly to stop the ball going wide and we just kept trucking up the middle. Saifiti was the only one able to break the line.

Ploughing up the middle gave us metres, but QLD's ball movement gave them 6 linebreaks and they looked like scoring many times. NSW's defence was brilliant but you have to be able to score.

Last edited:
None of our players acquitted themselves very well. Crichton is not SOO quality, he is a good first grader and that's it. I have some sympathy for him throwing the ball dead, a NSW player should have been supporting him he had his hand free for 10 seconds and we could have made a line break.

Martin - Undecided about about Martin, he missed a lot of tackles.
Luai - Ok. He tried to get things going. His pass into touch was bad, but if he sticks the pass we score.
Yeo - Ok.
Too - Ok.

Not sure why Burton goes to the bin. He was under assault and has to defend himself. Two QLD on one NSW player. Not sure how Tino's swinging arm isn't ten in the bin. Piss weak refereeing.

Not sure why Burrton wasn't given the opportunity to kick more when we had the field position. Bad game plan.

In the end, QLD were more dangerous with the ball and played more skilfully. They had Grant, Hunt, DCE, Ponga and Dearden all ball playing. It caused real confusion at times. Yes I know we had Tedesco, Cleary, Yeo, Api and Luai. But Api is not a ball player like Grant or Hunt and Tedesco is not a ball player. We were pedestrian in attack and didn't use the extra bench player advantage very wisely.

Panther ball doesn't work when the other team is just as fit and stop your roll on. You never get the space to break the line. You need ball movement to do it and that's not our strength. We needed Turbo and Latrell to give us that point of difference, but NSW were bogged down trying to ruck the ball up the field and were very unadventurous. Panther fans have seen that type of "midfield bomb" toiling before. It was exacerbated by QLD moving up quickly to stop the ball going wide and we just kept trucking up the middle. Saifiti was the only one able to break the line.

Ploughing up the middle gave us metres, but QLD's ball movement gave them 6 linebreaks and they looked like scoring many times. NSW's defence was brilliant but you have to be able to score.
This game could de-rail our season, that was awful from Luai, Crichton and Cleary

Kilkenny

Coach

Yeo - Ok.
Too - Ok.

Great summary.

Iamback

Coach

Yeo - Ok.
Too - Ok.

Martin isn't Origin quality either.

Burton not getting involved was strange. After how well Perth went no idea why they changed things up

CCJohnC

Juniors
Tedesco tried hard but I only saw him pass once the whole game. So when he had the ball the game did not flow.
Crichton is 21 and his game reflected the NSW situation of little go forward.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
NSW beaten by a better team on the night. Qld appeared to make less error at crucial times. I am not sure whether the NSW forwards were up to conteracting the Qld forwards who seemed to smother them. More thoughts when I have calmed down.

I agree.

I think what annoys me the most about origin games is how the rules 'are forgotten' by the refs.

The high shot on Burton should have been a sin bin

The punches thrown by qld should have meant the player in question being sent off.
Burton should not have been sin binned for defending himself.

In the great wash up though, all Penrith players came through without injury. That's the most important.

Fangs

Coach
I thought Fittler got the interchanges right.

Cook really didn't have the impact I thought he would. I'm used to seeing him overplay his hand in attack like Tedesco. He just shovelled it on to Cleary who was gassed and we didn't get any second phase in the final 20 either.

Latest posts