What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

State of origin series

Pomoz

Bench
This game could de-rail our season, that was awful from Luai, Crichton and Cleary
Maybe, but they have lost playing for NSW before, so I think they will cope. They will need a few weeks to get over it though. That was physically brutal and Martin and Yeo played 80 minutes racking up 40 tackles.

Iamback

Coach
I thought Fittler got the interchanges right.

Cook really didn't have the impact I thought he would. I'm used to seeing him overplay his hand in attack like Tedesco. He just shovelled it on to Cleary who was gassed and we didn't get any second phase in the final 20 either.

Talakai got too long.

Pomoz

Bench
Martin isn't Origin quality either.

Burton not getting involved was strange. After how well Perth went no idea why they changed things up
He is still young and inexperienced. He was a bit overawed and they belted him to put him off. He only made 3 runs.

Girds89

Bench
We weren't getting to position to kick.

Luai throws it to Talakai. Goes into touch
NSW defend
Crichton throws it in goal

We finally get it back. Then Talakai drops it on the 5th.

That is the kicking game?
Qld were under pressure as much as us and kicked early and sooo much better to turn us around.

Anyone the tries to defend naths kicking game tonight or blame anyone else fpr his lacl of control as a half is off their head.

Yeah we made mistakes.

Yeah the 17 couldnt done things better.

But dce and co kicked sooo much better than nath and co and imo it was a huge huge difference.

Topou too and teddy came out of their own end for most of the night through really hard yards. We were made to turn around and work to get back.

Qld were on the fromt foot all jight from nath and cos kicking game

Fangs

Coach
Talakai got too long.

I suppose. I just thought holding back Cook would be the winning play.

This spine is a long way from Thurston/Cronk/Smith. They'd have had this team is a position to win this game. We never looked like scoring points in the final 20 minutes despite all the bad errors it was a 4 point game.

Girds89

Bench
And thw only reason im sooo frustrated about naths kicking is its happened nost of this year.

Most on here just see us het the two points and think damn we are playing well.

I dont give a shit about origin..

But naths kicking this year has been not up to an elite standard.

Hes mid field bombs are a deadset pisstake.

Its fine if hes mixing it up.

But every f@cking kick.....

Even we we got down their end he put in a shit cross field half bomb.... that had no effect..

Remember when cronk and jt and smith used to put grubbers in set after set to just break nsw....

I love nathan. Hes one of my favs. Hes going to be probs our best ever for penrith.

But atm he has still a fair bit to work on.

Put it this way, of he had dces kicking tonight we win imo.

Again im not trying to blame him.

I just want to see him do better because we will probs need him to be better than that in the finals.

The bomb midfield and pressure might work i regular season games against average teams...

Come finals when refs put the whistle away and its do or die your half has to deliver.

Naths kicking in game 1 and 3 imo was extremley poor and it wa a big factor in us losing the series.

Girds89

Bench
Freddy fittler killed any chamce of being an nro coach this series

Billy won with a far superior team.

Freddy failed to get the best out of his players.

Whereas billy got more than the best out of his....

Dearden on debut showed up nath and luai...

CCJohnC

Juniors

This spine is a long way from Thurston/Cronk/Smith. They'd have had this team is a position to win this game. We never looked like scoring points in the final 20 minutes despite all the bad errors it was a 4 point game.
Compare age and experience between T C & S and NSW now makes a difference.

Iamback

Coach
He is still young and inexperienced. He was a bit overawed and they belted him to put him off. He only made 3 runs.

That is my issue with him. He is a trier don't get me wrong.
He is good for a drop ball or 2
Falls off tackles and limited hitups

Iamback

Coach

Cook is a down hill skier. NSW didn't have anyone used to playing off the back foot

Girds89

Bench
I have no doubt cleary is an elite player.
Luai imo is a bloke who couod go either way. He does some things that are munster level than does stuff where im like wtf.

Yeos game isnt as effective at nsws level. Without ruck penalties or refs kepping a solid 10 yeos ability to control the game throygh his ball playing is severley limited.

Api is elite. No two ways about it.. him and grant imo are the best 9s in the game.. api is muxh better in defence but slightly behind grant in attack but overall they are even.

Martin and critta arent world class.

Latrell and turbo bout there tonight..... nsw win easy.

Martin i love him but hes a nigel plum playing in a winning team.

Id have let critta leota, spencer go to keep api and kiks..

Nsw needed a kikua tonight. They missed murrays leg speed and ruck play the ball speed.

Iamback

Coach
Qld were under pressure as much as us and kicked early and sooo much better to turn us around.

Anyone the tries to defend naths kicking game tonight or blame anyone else fpr his lacl of control as a half is off their head.

Yeah we made mistakes.

Yeah the 17 couldnt done things better.

But dce and co kicked sooo much better than nath and co and imo it was a huge huge difference.

Topou too and teddy came out of their own end for most of the night through really hard yards. We were made to turn around and work to get back.

Qld were on the fromt foot all jight from nath and cos kicking game

I thought NSW was the better team in the 1st half. 12-6 is a reflective score. Tupou knocks on just before halftime and QLD score.

2nd half

Possession QLD 53 % NSW 47%

Run metres QLD 815. NSW 535

Line break QLD 3-0

Errors NSW 5-4. Although 2 of those QLD ones were disallowed tries. So seems closer then it was in that area

WestyLife

First Grade
I thought NSW was the better team in the 1st half. 12-6 is a reflective score. Tupou knocks on just before halftime and QLD score.

2nd half

Possession QLD 53 % NSW 47%

Run metres QLD 815. NSW 535

Line break QLD 3-0

Errors NSW 5-4. Although 2 of those QLD ones were disallowed tries. So seems closer then it was in that area

Cleary needs to remember to kick the team out of trouble. Early kicks into the corners, 40/20s etc. He was doing it last year when Penrith were under pressure even in their own 30m but it's gone entirely this year.

Luai can also get all the way f**ked going off at a player knocked out and nearly needing a stretcher. I hate him as much as any rival after that.

The Realist

Juniors
Here to say that I saw the game almost Identically to the way @Girds89 did. I was watching the game with a bunch of non-panther supporters and they were saying similar things

I think only Yeo and Martin can be proud of their games. Api did okay as well but wasn't particularly good.

There is more than a little bit of Mitchell Pierce in Nathan Cleary. A good, even excellent 1st grade halfback but not a great at that level and struggles at Rep level. He looked completely lost in that 2nd half. Yeah he wasn't the one making the mistakes, yes our forward pack broke down midway through the 2nd half - but a great halfback guides his team around and either Prevents the passage(s) of play that cause the problems or they pull a trick out of their hat to change/break the game. Cleary doesn't have the magic pass, magic instinct or magic step that can change the game out of nowhere. His biggest strength is his kicking game and it literally went missing tonight. As Girds89 said, it has been ordinary all year and occasionally he brings it back (like SOO2) but it is a worrying sign. His form is down on 2020/2021.

Luai also is down on 2020/21 form. He didn't do all that much wrong (other than the pass over the side line) but in such as critical position at Rep level - you need to play better than 'not much wrong'. Not much wrong and quite a bit right is good for 1st Grade, not Rep level.

Chricton was lucky to be in the side and in the end it cost us. Did very little and that complete brain explosion was as a result of him trying too hard to 'contribute' when he knew he'd been ordinary. Like others have said - he isn't an Elite centre and he is definitely not worth the reported 700K he is on. He is a good club centre being paid like he is Elite. Just imagine us using that 700K and throwing that at Burton (I can dream)

And I also hate to say this as he is probably my favourite Panther, but To'o this series was pretty average for Rep level. At this level his power running most of the time is blunted because his opposition are quicker, stronger, fitter and better organised than he is usually accustomed to facing. He isn't 'bad' and does a fair bit of good - but he can't really create anything spectacular either (like a Cobbo) mainly because he isn't particularly quick.

I suppose the last thing to mention is that Freddy is not a good coach. We looked like we had no plan out there another than to hope and pray for an error off our bombs. Talakai was a disaster and Tupou in the 1st half was absolutely dreadful - constantly getting shoved back (including forcing a drop out). His error just before half time was as dire as Crichton's was. Burton only putting up 1 real bomb and basically being frozen out of the game was just inexplicable. Angus Crighton was diabolical at times. Did not pass when our centre or winger was open on at least 3 occasions. Still the talking point among league fandom is that the 'NSW Panthers' failed and they'd be mostly right.

I hope this is the wake up call we needed. We aren't as good as we think we are and despite our recent record, we aren't somehow the natural Heirs to the Premiership.

WestyLife

First Grade
Here to say that I saw the game almost Identically to the way @Girds89 did. I was watching the game with a bunch of non-panther supporters and they were saying similar things

I think only Yeo and Martin can be proud of their games. Api did okay as well but wasn't particularly good.

There is more than a little bit of Mitchell Pierce in Nathan Cleary. A good, even excellent 1st grade halfback but not a great at that level and struggles at Rep level. He looked completely lost in that 2nd half. Yeah he wasn't the one making the mistakes, yes our forward pack broke down midway through the 2nd half - but a great halfback guides his team around and either Prevents the passage(s) of play that cause the problems or they pull a trick out of their hat to change/break the game. Cleary doesn't have the magic pass, magic instinct or magic step that can change the game out of nowhere. His biggest strength is his kicking game and it literally went missing tonight. As Girds89 said, it has been ordinary all year and occasionally he brings it back (like SOO2) but it is a worrying sign. His form is down on 2020/2021.

Luai also is down on 2020/21 form. He didn't do all that much wrong (other than the pass over the side line) but in such as critical position at Rep level - you need to play better than 'not much wrong'. Not much wrong and quite a bit right is good for 1st Grade, not Rep level.

Chricton was lucky to be in the side and in the end it cost us. Did very little and that complete brain explosion was as a result of him trying too hard to 'contribute' when he knew he'd been ordinary. Like others have said - he isn't an Elite centre and he is definitely not worth the reported 700K he is on. He is a good club centre being paid like he is Elite. Just imagine us using that 700K and throwing that at Burton (I can dream)

And I also hate to say this as he is probably my favourite Panther, but To'o this series was pretty average for Rep level. At this level his power running most of the time is blunted because his opposition are quicker, stronger, fitter and better organised than he is usually accustomed to facing. He isn't 'bad' and does a fair bit of good - but he can't really create anything spectacular either (like a Cobbo) mainly because he isn't particularly quick.

I suppose the last thing to mention is that Freddy is not a good coach. We looked like we had no plan out there another than to hope and pray for an error off our bombs. Talakai was a disaster and Tupou in the 1st half was absolutely dreadful - constantly getting shoved back (including forcing a drop out). His error just before half time was as dire as Crichton's was. Burton only putting up 1 real bomb and basically being frozen out of the game was just inexplicable. Angus Crighton was diabolical at times. Did not pass when our centre or winger was open on at least 3 occasions. Still the talking point among league fandom is that the 'NSW Panthers' failed and they'd be mostly right.

I hope this is the wake up call we needed. We aren't as good as we think we are and despite our recent record, we aren't somehow the natural Heirs to the Premiership.

It's not controversial, Cleary's kicking has become pretty one dimensional unless they're comfortably in front or have massive momentum.

Smug Panther

First Grade

To'o averaged 200m a game for the series. He was excellent as always

Munky

Coach
I've thought Martin has been ordinary for a while. In 2020 he had good late footwork as was an aerial threat. The last two years he has become solid but no more and his attack had dropped way off. He's now Josh Jackson.

The Critter Toupou combo was diabolical. Neither is upto rep level, JAC should have played.

NSW need some running backrowers. Penrith ball doesn't work if you can't spread early coming out of trouble and the ball dying at the left backrower killed NSW in game one and three.

Last edited:

Latest posts