What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

State of origin series

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
148m, 1 try assist a line drop out needing a freakish save from QLD which would've given nsw possession and an off side player ruining a great kick which also would've given nsw possession or a possible try. He could've been better but he didn't disappear.

He was terrible in that second half.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
I should make it clear that my opinion that Clearly is not, nor ever will be, better than Cronk does not mean that he is a trash player or that we should get rid of him. Obviously, he fits our system like a glove. But we should expect more of his inconsistency at higher levels where the system is a lot less rigid, which does not suit his game at all.

WestyLife

First Grade
He was terrible in that second half.

He definitely should've been a bit more aggressive with his kicking game which has been my main criticism of him. He just bombs and prays but otherwise not much he could've done with all the momentum those errors gave to QLD.

Munky

Coach
Cronk didn't play Origin until he was 26 and start at halfback until he was 28. Although he was a top 3 three club halfback from 2006.

Thurston got his first Origin game at 22.

Nathan is a weird one, he was starting to dominate for the final twenty minutes of first half. He just didn't seem to know what to do with attacking kicks other than simple bombs.

mxlegend99

Referee
NSW played the majority of the game coming off their own line. Queensland were hitting our ball runners before they got past the point the ball was played most the time.

Even To'o couldn't do much because they were being smashed before they had the ball. When we had space for moments of that first half Nathan looked good and took control.

The momentum was lost by Jurbo and Tupou in that first half and we never had any at all in the second.

Jurbo gives away a dumb penalty in a dominant defensive set. He gives away another when we're hot on the attack. Tupou drops an easy kick on a set where nothing happened. Second half Queensland come out high on confidence.

Our guys made their mistakes. But our mistakes happened trying to make things happen when we had nothing going for us. Crichtons offload happened in a set where we weren't getting out of our 20 anyway. That drop out is not much worse of a result than Nathan having to launch it up field flat footed from his 20 really. It was dumb and could have been costly. But i think it's barely a huge difference to the opportunity Queensland had regardless.

Nathans chip kick was poorly executed too. But at that point there was unlikely to be any other opportunities so he tried to make something happen.

I wouldn't say his game was good overall by any stretch of the imagination. But the expectation on halves to make shit happen when their team is being smashed across the park is ridiculous.

WestyLife

First Grade
NSW played the majority of the game coming off their own line. Queensland were hitting our ball runners before they got past the point the ball was played most the time.

Even To'o couldn't do much because they were being smashed before they had the ball. When we had space for moments of that first half Nathan looked good and took control.

The momentum was lost by Jurbo and Tupou in that first half and we never had any at all in the second.

Jurbo gives away a dumb penalty in a dominant defensive set. He gives away another when we're hot on the attack. Tupou drops an easy kick on a set where nothing happened. Second half Queensland come out high on confidence.

Our guys made their mistakes. But our mistakes happened trying to make things happen when we had nothing going for us. Crichtons offload happened in a set where we weren't getting out of our 20 anyway. That drop out is not much worse of a result than Nathan having to launch it up field flat footed from his 20 really. It was dumb and could have been costly. But i think it's barely a huge difference to the opportunity Queensland had regardless.

Nathans chip kick was poorly executed too. But at that point there was unlikely to be any other opportunities so he tried to make something happen.

I wouldn't say his game was good overall by any stretch of the imagination. But the expectation on halves to make shit happen when their team is being smashed across the park is ridiculous.

I think the short drop out that nearly went into touch was a good thing on Cleary's part. He was centimetres from regaining possession for his team.

Nathan is a weird one, he was starting to dominate for the final twenty minutes of first half. He just didn't seem to know what to do with attacking kicks other than simple bombs.
I agree with this and it’s also weird that this is a back end of 21 and 22 thing; early last year his kicking game had much more variety and he always seemed to take the right option.

I still wouldn’t swap him for any other half in the comp (even with my little quibble above) and I have every confidence he will come through this little period an improved player; I’ve never seen someone with such an appetite for self improvement.

Latest posts