What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

State of the Game survey

Perth Red

Post Whore
I gave the wrestle ,the choke hold.It's a blight on the game.
Wrestling coaches should be flicked.

I'd say the 3 man tackle is actually the big issue, having three men involved slows it down so much that they can apply this BS wrestle techniques. In the old days when you tackled one up one down you simply didnt have the time to get your hands in those places and be wrenching on body parts.

taipan

Referee
I'd say the 3 man tackle is actually the big issue, having three men involved slows it down so much that they can apply this BS wrestle techniques. In the old days when you tackled one up one down you simply didnt have the time to get your hands in those places and be wrenching on body parts.

The wrestle is intertwined with the 3 man tackle or the gang tackle as known in the Jack Gibson years.I hated it from day one.

If they'd had done something about this tackle years ago ,the Knight's player would not have IMO ,received his dreadful injury.
The best sight in defence in rugby league is a flying winger centre being brought down with a bootlace tackle.There is too much high tackling, resulting in players getting head knocks.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Not sure what you could actually do other than ban anything more than two men in the tackle? But then we might end up with 135kg props dragging players down the pitch. Id give it a go to see if we can revert this horrible style of play that is literally killing the entertainment factor of the game. Its no surprise that when this came in we started to see a lot less ball playing and second phase play that opened it up for the centres. We then got sht block plays introduced because the skills had gone and it was the only way to get through a set defence that wasnt tired.

Springs09

Juniors
Good survey. Hopefully they do something about the dead time in a game. Wouldn't mind the clock being stopped whenever the ball is out of play and then a maximum 30 second shot clock to get play restarted again

Why do people persist with this 'stop clock when ball is out of play' rubbish? Games would go for 3 hours and we'd have 50-40 scores in some games.

Springs09

Juniors
The wrestle is intertwined with the 3 man tackle or the gang tackle as known in the Jack Gibson years.I hated it from day one.

If they'd had done something about this tackle years ago ,the Knight's player would not have IMO ,received his dreadful injury.
The best sight in defence in rugby league is a flying winger centre being brought down with a bootlace tackle.There is too much high tackling, resulting in players getting head knocks.

The NRL is actually trialling reducing this with the senior safeplay code. My competition the Proten Cup in old Group 17 land used it this year and it included only 2 allowed in the tackle (apart from within the 10 of the tryline) and 1 marker. Brought little blokes back into the game especially around the ruck and players had to actually know how to tackle with the right technique instead of just ganging up. Quicker play-the-balls too as in gang tackles you can have 4 players peeling off one-by-one to give the illusion that you're trying to get off.

Not the solution for all rugby league but was very enjoyable and a lot faster than the footy I'm used to. We are hoping to bring about more smaller competitions like this to increase playing numbers and get more people playing the game with less fear of injury.

taipan

Referee
The NRL is actually trialling reducing this with the senior safeplay code. My competition the Proten Cup in old Group 17 land used it this year and it included only 2 allowed in the tackle (apart from within the 10 of the tryline) and 1 marker. Brought little blokes back into the game especially around the ruck and players had to actually know how to tackle with the right technique instead of just ganging up. Quicker play-the-balls too as in gang tackles you can have 4 players peeling off one-by-one to give the illusion that you're trying to get off.

Not the solution for all rugby league but was very enjoyable and a lot faster than the footy I'm used to. We are hoping to bring about more smaller competitions like this to increase playing numbers and get more people playing the game with less fear of injury.

That's what we want mate, more of the smaller nippier guys playing the game ,just like we had with the Tooveys, Sterlings,Langers,etc.
The biggest problem with 3 or 4 in on a tackle, yes it's
effective in stopping the attacker's forward motion and his offload, and repeating what you stated the adverse effect is more chance of injury to players both in the attack and the defence with head collisions,and the eternal amount of time it takes for defenders to peel off and the ball to be played.Giving a tired defence more time to gather their breath.

Perth Red

Post Whore

Thanks for sharing, great to hear someones actually looking at this! Now just need the NRL to trial it in a couple of pre season games!

T-Boon

Coach
Why do people persist with this 'stop clock when ball is out of play' rubbish? Games would go for 3 hours and we'd have 50-40 scores in some games.

That would be cool. We would definitely see an increase in crowds.

T-Boon

Coach

Going to 5 metres and reducing the number of players on the field gets rid of the wrestle.

T-Boon

Coach
To slow the ruck down, get everyone onside and give your teammates the longest break possible? aka the point of gang tackling and wrestling in the first place?

thats only necessary and/or effective under the 10 meters.
Under 5 meters attacking teams need to come up with a different way of creating opportunities than fast play the balls (e.g. actual old school rugby league skills).
Essentially the smaller the neutral zone the less important/influential the speed of the play the ball is.
Under 5 meters teams wouldn't bother having wrestling coaches.

Springs09

Juniors
thats only necessary and/or effective under the 10 meters.
Under 5 meters attacking teams need to come up with a different way of creating opportunities than fast play the balls (e.g. actual old school rugby league skills).
Essentially the smaller the neutral zone the less important/influential the speed of the play the ball is.
Under 5 meters teams wouldn't bother having wrestling coaches.

Yes, yes they would. I played under a 5 metre rule this year. Speed of the ruck is always important. It was also way too close that after the first round we decided to get the defensive line back 8 metres instead.

People forget that the 5 metre rule was for both sides, it was also measured from the back of the marker, not from the play-the-ball. Gang tackling was also one of the reasons the 10 metre rule was introduced, along with the introduction of interchange.

T-Boon

Coach
Yes, yes they would. I played under a 5 metre rule this year. Speed of the ruck is always important. It was also way too close that after the first round we decided to get the defensive line back 8 metres instead.

People forget that the 5 metre rule was for both sides, it was also measured from the back of the marker, not from the play-the-ball. Gang tackling was also one of the reasons the 10 metre rule was introduced, along with the introduction of interchange.

It would evolve out of the game the same way it evolved in. You just don't need to wrestle when it is 5 meters.
A 5 meter rule would also get rid of dummy half forward passes.

What would the average time of a ball-out-of-play be per 80 minutes?

I honestly don't know but if it was more than 10 minutes (12.5%) I'd be very surprised. If someone knows what this is I'd be interested.

dogslife

Coach
2l57u6.jpg

If they answer no, we disregard the rest of their survey.

Quick way to weed out the duds.

Latest posts