What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Steelers owe St George $8.29 million

Southernsaint

Staff member
But in order to get the "RL Heartland" we had to sacrifice 77 years of history.

St George tradition was given away for some short-term success - and one year is very short-term.

People just have different priorities, I guess.

Cheers,
Ben S.

drake

First Grade
I was immensely angry when news of the merger hit. I didn't like it, and I agree about the loss of our history.
But I adapted to the situation, and have come to love the Illawarra, especially since I moved down. But we weren't exactly setting the world on fire consistantly prior to the merge. And the club's management had been pretty lame, so much so the Stinker Smith thought we had a whiff of Newtown. Weren't we being coached by the great Coyney for a while there?

Southernsaint

Staff member
Smith only said that because he thought we were staring down the barrell of a merger with Easts - one that was averted thanks to People Power - and that he was going to lose his job to Fool Gould.

I admit that the Super League tarnished 1997 wasn't crash-hot but between 1992 & 1998, Saints were extremely competetive, making three Grand Finals - hardly inconsistent.

Of course I want to support a successful side. But I want to support a Successful ST GEORGE side. If following a successful team, any team, was my only concern I would've jumped ship to Brisbane or Newcastle years ago.

Cheers,
Ben S.

drake

First Grade
Yeah I agree, I follow my team. Evolution. I don't try to sound like a prat, but the desicion was made by St George RLFC. I rolled with the punches. The red V is alive, the Dragons are alive and the emblem had a word tacked on.
I don't much give a toss about socks.
I'm not a St George local, and only briefly lived in Arncliffe. I followed them because they were the dragons, pure and simple. So thus my connection to the St George area begins and ends with the football team.
Please don't tell me I can't be a real supporter because i'm not from the area, Skull lived around the corner, and I'm sure no-one would question his devotion.

Anonymous

Juniors
St George supporters are everywhere and thats a strength, not a weakness. In the early 90s I converted a few soccer fans in Bologna, Italy... and then left behind a Bexley-born mate to keep on reminding them. lol.
I still send them tapes of games every now and then

To the subject... I think its already been mentioned that the juniors are there regardless of the JV. They may not all be playing for Saints but they would be on the market in any case. The influence of St George ensures that this junior development continues in the Illawarra and that the Dragons get first pick of the crop.

As for the history, I'm one of these guys who think you can have your cake and eat it. I make no apologies for that.

IMO, we have a joint history which goes way back and the JV is merely a reunification. The next premiership will be number 16 and the Steelers will be remembered as being part of the Dragons evolution.

Southernsaint

Staff member
Drake, I would never use the "not a real supporter" argument, as I think it's a sign of a weakness in whomever uses it in a debate - clutching at straws. And I don't believe that you have to be from the St George District to be a Saints fan - some of our maddest fans are from outside the region. But I do believe that the football club, and Dragons "brand" are intrinsically linked with Kogarah & the St George District.

Willow, I'd like to have your attitude as well but I don't really feel it's realistic. Does your rationale mean that the Wests Tigers are on fifteen Premierships too??

Cheers,
Ben S.

drake

First Grade
Thanks ben,
I've copped a fair a bit about following the Dragons and coming from maroubra, from our supporters and especially the bunny boys.
For me, I've become a bit rabid about footy over the last few years, I don't get out much anymore, except to games. The Dragons are still there, albeit in a mutated fashion, so I'll go and scream my guts out, no matter that Illawarra got tacked on the bottom.

Anonymous

Juniors
Southernsaint said:
Willow, I'd like to have your attitude as well but I don't really feel it's realistic. Does your rationale mean that the Wests Tigers are on fifteen Premierships too??

Cheers,
Ben S.
Thats entirely up to Wests and Balmain supporters to work out. If they want to deal with the issue, then it has nothing to do with me.
Nevertheless, their situation is a little more complex with both 'sides' having a long history of division beforehand.

I recall Mark Coyne referring to St George and Illawarra as being "kindred spirits" in 1998. IMO, this still rings true.

The history issue is too emotive to get bogged down in rigid bookwork. The NRL has messed it up and thats something which will need to be corrected. But Peter Doust has repeatedly said that the next premiership will be number 16... a little lip service perhaps but currently, that is the club's view.

Quite clearly when thinking of the Dragons, we think of St George. Sure, the name is St George Illawarra and I mean no disrespect to the Steelers supporters... but lets face it, there is no denying the overwhelming dominance of the Dragons history. And in that, we think of St George. Making it official with the NRL (who have had a few name changes of their own) will take time.

I call them St George because thats who they are... and I'm not alone. Even our (Illawarra based) team captain calls them St George in post match interviews, even though he's been asked not to. The point I'm making is that the identity is there.

I dont believe the Wests Tigers have this luxury. And I have no idea how they will tackle the issue... assuming they even want to tackle the issue.

I'm not a St George local, and only briefly lived in Arncliffe. I followed them because they were the dragons, pure and simple. So thus my connection to the St George area begins and ends with the football team.
Please don't tell me I can't be a real supporter because i'm not from the area, Skull lived around the corner, and I'm sure no-one would question his devotion.

Drake,

I wouldn't suggest that for one moment. But I do think the basis of any club lies in its local area. For this reason I can't ever see the JV meaning as much to the St George District or Illawarra region as there respective clubs would. In the long term this can only lead to a serious weakening of the venture. The clubs only solution to this is the emphasis on a brand name and reviving the Steelers for a day.

Anonymous

Juniors
Well I can. We may have to agree to disgaree.
The Illawarra district has been providing players to St George for over 70 years now. It's just been formalised imo.

Southernsaint

Staff member
Willow - I can see where Denis is coming from. The Illawarra also provided Manly with Bobby Fulton & Balmain with Steve Roach. But those clubs have no claims of "synergy"??

Cheers,
Ben S.

Anonymous

Juniors
Yeah sure.
And Keith Barnes played for Balmain.
But I think you'll find that plenty of great players who came from the Illawarra ended up at St George. Their first international, Saus Hazelton, played for Saints in the 1930s.
I dont want make a list but suffice to say, its been a happy hunting ground for Saints and by having the JV, we get to look over the prospects before anyone. If it was formalised decades ago, we may have ended up with Barnes, Cronin or Fulton. Pure speculation ofcourse.

Like I said, I want my cake and eat it too. I want the team to be called St George and I want the Illawarra to be part of our junior base... like it was before but only better. I want the Sharks to piss off to the Gold Coast as well. I don't think its asking too much. lol

Southernsaint said:
drake said:
Then if we weren't merged, we'd be the Roosters mark II, IE 3 local juniours, and 21 bought and 'developed' players?

You do know that they've won the comp in the last 25 years??

I'm not saying Juniors aren't important, I'm just saying that they're not the be-all & end-all of running a successful football club.

Cheers,
Ben S.

Very true. It is also very interesting to sit here reading the different perspectives people have of where there team is at.

Willow said:
Yeah sure.
And Keith Barnes played for Balmain.
But I think you'll find that plenty of great players who came from the Illawarra ended up at St George. Their first international, Saus Hazelton, played for Saints in the 1930s.
I dont want make a list but suffice to say, its been a happy hunting ground for Saints and by having the JV, we get to look over the prospects before anyone. If it was formalised decades ago, we may have ended up with Barnes, Cronin or Fulton. Pure speculation ofcourse.

Like I said, I want my cake and eat it too. I want the team to be called St George and I want the Illawarra to be part of our junior base... like it was before but only better. I want the Sharks to piss off to the Gold Coast as well. I don't think its asking too much. lol

Gold Coast don't need (or should that be kneed) Cronulla.

It will be premiership #1. Any suggestion of it being #16 is an insult to 50% of the JV. That's what it is... a JV. The Dragons board is 50% from St.George and 50% from Illawarra. Yes, at the moment StGeorge provide more money... but there are plans for the Steelers to put in an equal amount in future... and we provide pretty much all of the juniors.

Southernsaint

Staff member
Man_of_Steel_1982 said:
It will be premiership #1. Any suggestion of it being #16 is an insult to 50% of the JV. That's what it is... a JV. The Dragons board is 50% from St.George and 50% from Illawarra. Yes, at the moment StGeorge provide more money... but there are plans for the Steelers to put in an equal amount in future... and we provide pretty much all of the juniors.

Care to elaborate on the plans?? Methinks the Steelers are talking out of their arses...

If St George weren't propping up Illawarra to the tune of $8.29 million, I'm sure some of that funding would have gone towards St George talent identification & development...

Cheers,
Ben S.

Saint 60

Juniors
As much as i like the merge, and i do :) and ive been a staunch Saints supporter all my days

i cant see the problem, if its 16 or 1...

LETS JUST GET THE NEXT ONE SOOOON :D

Anonymous

Juniors
Man_of_Steel_1982 said:
How is it an insult? Since when does it become wrong to have a team playing in Wollongong who has a history of 15+ premierships...?
You want to destroy all that in the name of pride? Fair dinkum... what you're asking for is the insult.

Latest posts