What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Steelers owe St George $8.29 million

Well... they contribute say roughly a quarter of the JV funding. The JV includes both NRL and Premier League. Unless PL costs a quarter or more than the overall current spending then they should be right.

All I'm saying is, it might work out better for the Steelers to run the much cheaper PL team. Obviously, I don't know all the in's an out's of this... it's just an idea that I thought is worth discussing.

Denis'saints'Freak said:
If the Illawarra Premier League team was going to be St Georges reserve grade side then presumably we'd be underwriting it to no small extent.

No, it would be like the Newtown-Cronulla agreement that will start next year. St.George would only have to worry about the NRL and Jersey Flegg. Potentially, the money that they currently spend in the JV PL team, could be redirected to the NRL side, while Illawarra's contribution would go to their own PL team.

Anonymous

Juniors
I'm just trying to get this straight because the goal posts are shifting a little here.

So you'd like St George not to have a PL side so Illawarra could stand alone?

Then when Illawarra re-join the NRL in 2015 (I think that's the year you quoted) what happens to the PL side then?

It would be like the Cronulla - Newtown agreement. St George wouldn't have a Premier League team, as the Steelers would be their Premier League feeder club. Although this wouldn't have to be the case, St George could have their own PL side and ignore the Steelers (if they wanted), but it would make sense (and save money) if they used the Steelers PL as their feeder club (just like the Newtown Jets are going to be Cronulla's PL feeder club). St.George could even have a PL side and use Illawarra as another feeder club if they wanted (though it wouldn't make much sense to do so.

Now as for 2015 (or whenever possible) the Steelers get back into the NRL, both probably wouldnt bother fielding PL sides as apparently in 2006 alot of NRL teams will simply be using other clubs as their PL (just like Newtown and Cronulla). Then, both Illawarra and St.George would either, field separate PL teams, or find feeder clubs.

mightybears

Bench
joint ventures kill 2 teams with history and generations of support, they create one team that has no history or soul and you lose supporters
as for the cost of a pl side, the conservative estimate is a half million a year, [the roosters spend $300,00 on the jf side!]
and at least your team didn't get merged with manly!, there is nothing worse[all i want for christmas is a manly wooden spoon in september]

Anonymous

Juniors
mightybears, are those estimates for player payments only? I would think running a stand alone football club would require a much larger budget.

mightybears

Bench
its a figure i've seen mentioned on other forums and is "conservative" in that it would cover the all up norths and newtown pl teams costs [in otherwords teams with no nrl link and nrl wages], but not flegg and lower teams, the reason that norths are last in pl, but lets no go there!
newtown fans will support[as long as the colours, emblem, henson etc remain the same] the concept as it will have a way to keep the talent from leaving, as no nrl link is killing the ability of norths an to a lesser extent the jets to compete for talent

Generalzod

Immortal
The Steelers could get a loan from St George Bank, a proud sponsor of St George Illawarra...........what a shambles :lol: :lol: :lol:

One happy family

I've requested some basic info and the Steelers general manager is going to get back to me when he's in the office.

As for the $500,000 PL costs mentioned above, if that's the case then Illawarra would be better off financially if they were only in PL. They currently contribute around $1-1.4 mil (will be finding out the exact amount soon). Also, Illawarra have the advantage of a very strong local competition to draw players from.
This saving of between 500,000 to 900,000 would then be able to speed up the loan repayments.