What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stefano Utoikamanu

Nutz

Bench
From SMH - 10 August 2024
Tigers powerbrokers have reportedly written to the NRL, seeking clarity regarding the Storm's offer which enticed Stefano Utoikamanu to make the move south to Melbourne. That is according to the SMH, who are reporting the merger club have requested information regarding his new contract, hoping to confirm it's within salary cap guidelines.

The WT are apparently not suggesting that the Storm are cheating or went against the guidelines....so what are they saying?

From SMH - 10 August 2024
Tigers powerbrokers have reportedly written to the NRL, seeking clarity regarding the Storm's offer which enticed Stefano Utoikamanu to make the move south to Melbourne. That is according to the SMH, who are reporting the merger club have requested information regarding his new contract, hoping to confirm it's within salary cap guidelines.

The WT are apparently not suggesting that the Storm are cheating or went against the guidelines....so what are they saying?
Yeah I know what you mean. It's clear they're suggesting that Melbourne are cheating the cap, and with bloody good reasons:

1. Unless they dump NAS they have about $5.5 million of their cap tied up in 6 players. How could they possibly be under?
2. It's not like Melbourne don't have form on the board.

If the NRL is serious about making the competition even (which I don't believe they have any interest in at all) then they need to:

1. Enforce all contracts for their full duration, both club and player.
* They won't do this as they consider the constant contract scuttlebutt to be a good form of entertainment.
2. Don't allow players to accept lesser money to play at elite clubs.
3. All TPA's need to be publicly posted, including details of how the chain of events, from inception to signing of the agreement were managed and by who.
*This might create a bit too much work for the salary cap and investigations units. In addition, smart supporters will probably, and quite easily find violations. Can't have that.
4. All player salaries must be publicly posted showing how each team is managing their cap.
* Can't see this ever get taken up due to privacy concerns, even though the muck rakers publish this info quite regularly.
5. The salary cap has a maximum cap, but NO minimum cap.
* The collective bargaining agreement has them over a bit of a barrel here. The NRL need to fight to scrap this next time the agreement comes up.

Unless they do something like this they may as well just do away with the cap altogether. They won't though because teams will start going broke trying to catch up, and this will breach the NRL's agreements with 9 and Fox re # of games per week.

Last edited:

Nutz

Bench
Yeah I know what you mean. It's clear they're suggesting that Melbourne are cheating the cap, and with bloody good reasons:

1. Unless they dump NAS they have about $5.5 million of their cap tied up in 6 players. How could they possibly be under?
2. It's not like Melbourne don't have form on the board.

If the NRL is serious about making the competition even (which I don't believe they have any interest in at all) then they need to:

1. Enforce all contracts for their full duration, both club and player.
* They won't do this as they consider the constant contract scuttlebutt to be a good form of entertainment.
2. Don't allow players to accept lesser money to play at elite clubs.
3. All TPA's need to be publicly posted, including details of how the chain of events, from inception to signing of the agreement.
*This might create a bit too much work for the salary cap and investigations units. In addition, smart supporters will probably, and quite easily find violations. Can't have that.
4. All player salaries must be publicly posted showing how each team is managing their cap.
* Can't see this ever get taken due to privacy concerns, even though the muck rakers publish this info quite regularly.
5. The salary cap has a maximum cap, but minimum cap.
* The collective bargaining agreement has them over a bit of a barrel here. They need to fight to scrap time the agreement comes up.

Unless they do something like this they may as well just do away with the cap altogether. They won't though because will start going broke trying to catch up, and this will breach the NRL's agreements with 9 and Fox.
Good read DOM.
As a joke earlier I wrote...Scrap the Cap... All income be made visible to the public and legalise performance enhancing drugs...as well as other stuff :)
The irony of it all is, in regards to income, it should come down to this if all the cards were on the table.
There are two things that makes a mockery of it all,
1. The NRL investigates then rattifies all contracts so it's their reputation that should should come under scrutiny and not the rorters and
2. There are gambling agencies involved with the game. It appears that the horse racing industry is more transparent than our game. After each race there's no money paid out until the stewards give the all clear. There is a weight handicap system and the horses, jockey, trainers and all connections are under scrutiny and info is available to the punter in the way of form guides and periodicals. There are also odds to give the punter a fair deal.
The RLPA should get the best deal for these players but in professional sport where the punter and the supporter really have no idea if the horse is riding the jockey or the jockey is riding the horse, it's just not good enough.
How is it a fair race.
Stefano knocking back 150-200k a year makes me wonder if the contract is as they say, correct weight.

Tigerm

Coach
I am a firm believer that the salary cap should be scrapped as well.
It's far too easy to rort the system.
I think player ratings are the best and most transparent system, where you only have an allocated total to fill your squad. It would make it impossible to rort and stack a team with elite players.

Nutz

Bench
I am a firm believer that the salary cap should be scrapped as well.
It's far too easy to rort the system.
I think player ratings are the best and most transparent system, where you only have an allocated total to fill your squad. It would make it impossible to rort and stack a team with elite players.
How does the rating system work Tm.
Are other codes using it or similar?
What about a draft? It seems to work in arial ping pong.

Tigerm

Coach
How does the rating system work Tm.
Are other codes using it or similar?
What about a draft? It seems to work in arial ping pong.
I don't think anyone uses this type of thing.
I think a draft would be great, but the trouble is, when the measurement is a salary cap, it can be cheated.

My example for this would be:
Players are rated 1-5 by the NRL. At the beginning of a season.
1 being a rookie
2 never played NRL
3 played NRL less than 50 games
4 played NRL more than 50 games
5 Played current (last few years) SOO or International (some international teams would be exempt, as they don't play at elite levels)

The squad of 30 would have to have a total of (Say) 90 rating points.

So that could look something like:
3 X 5 (rated players) =15
8 X 4 = 32
8 X 3 = 24
8 X 2 = 16
3 X 1 = 3
Total = 90

So, if you stacked the team with (5) players, you wouldn't get a squad to stack up.

Nutz

Bench
I don't think anyone uses this type of thing.
I think a draft would be great, but the trouble is, when the measurement is a salary cap, it can be cheated.

My example for this would be:
Players are rated 1-5 by the NRL. At the beginning of a season.
1 being a rookie
2 never played NRL
3 played NRL less than 50 games
4 played NRL more than 50 games
5 Played current (last few years) SOO or International (some international teams would be exempt, as they don't play at elite levels)

The squad of 30 would have to have a total of (Say) 90 rating points.

So that could look something like:
3 X 5 (rated players) =15
8 X 4 = 32
8 X 3 = 24
8 X 2 = 16
3 X 1 = 3
Total = 90

So, if you stacked the team with (5) players, you wouldn't get a squad to stack up.
That seems interesting but it would still come down to money and TPA. The rich clubs who can offer big incentives during and after footy would be stacking their roster with the young guns like LachlanGalvin, Blaize Talagi, Ethan Strange, Kaeo Weekes, K. Kini etc etc.
Also it might make it easier to get players like Stef because he's not on big points

Last edited:

Tigerm

Coach
That seems interesting but it would still come down to money and TPA. The rich clubs who can offer big incentives during and after footy would be stacking their roster with the young guns like LachlanGalvin, Blaize Talagi, Ethan Strange, Kaeo Weekes, K. Kini etc etc.
Also it might make it easier to get players like Stef because he's not on big points
Money would not be a consideration,but the clubs could spend them selves broke.
That’s up to them, to manage their finances.

Nutz

Bench
I just think the NRL needs to bite the bullet and make all players NRL related income transparent.
It's a unique type of income. The managers don't want to disclose it because they use this as power.
If the RLPA gets the players to boycott so be it. Eventually players will be running out of money and will go back to work. It's the same reason that unions don't have as much power as they did years ago.
The major drawback would be a backlash from sponsors and television rights, 9, foxtel.
Even if we had to sit out a whole season to get transparency so be it, at least WT would be safe from the spoon.

Nutz

Bench
Money would not be a consideration,but the clubs could spend them selves broke.
That’s up to them, to manage their finances.
If you scrap the cap of course it's going to come down to money. The rich will offer more and more money to the lower tier players, paying more for talent and potential.
If you scrap the cap who pays for the contracts, the NRL won't.

Latest posts