What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stephen Kearney Career Coaching Stats and Replacement

Iron Lion

Juniors
Is this head coach quality?

105 games
37 wins
1 Draw
67 Losses
35.2% win rate

Based on those stats you are missing the top 8 every year.

In fact, it's rare you even get close to the top 8.

To be fair In comparison to other NRL coaches. I have highlighted 3 coaches I think could be available to fix the Warriors.

Daniel Anderson 144 games 76 wins 65 losses 3 draws 52.8% win rate
Craig Bellamy 436 games 299 wins 135 losses 2 draws 68.6% win rate
Wayne Bennett 828 games 514 wins 300 losses 14 draws 62.1% win rate
Nathan Brown 237 games 103 wins 133 losses 1 draws 43.5% win rate
Ivan Cleary 310 games 146 wins 161 losses 3 draws 47.1% win rate
Matt Elliot 265 games 121 wins 141 losses 3 draws 45.7% win rate
Shane Flanagan 185 games 102 wins 81 losses 2 draws 55.1% win rate
Paul Green 148 games 81 wins 67 losses 0 draws 54.7% win rate
Anthony Griffin 173 games 96 wins 76 losses 1 draws 55.5% win rate
Des Hasler 376 games 219 wins 157 losses 0 draws 58.2% win rate
Michael Maguire 167 games 92 wins 75 losses 0 draws 55.1% win rate
Andrew Mcfadden 67 games 29 wins 38 losses 0 draws 43.3% win rate
Paul McGregor 127 games 63 wins 64 losses 0 draws 49.6% win rate
Anthony Seibold 41 games 22 wins 19 losses 0 draws 53.7% win rate
Tim Sheens 669 games 340 wins 318 losses 11 draws 50.8% win rate
Brian Smith 601 games 305 wins 285 losses 11 draws 50.7% win rate
Ricky Stuart 383 games 187 wins 194 losses 2 draws 48.8% win rate
Geoff Toovey 105 games 61 wins 43 losses 1 draw 58.1% win rate

Iron Lion

Juniors
Anthony Griffin should be a priority for the Warriors. The guy got offside with Phil Gould but had the Panthers firing on all cylinders. Most unluckiest coach by a fair distance not to be coach NRL right now. Would be in top 3 for win% if coaching this season.

With Brisbane 53% win rate
With Panthers 58% win rate.

Geoff Toovey would be my 2nd target. Younger with fire.

Brian Smith clearly can coach.

He has made 6 grand finals. 4 in the NRL.

Always a bridesmaid but he has continually turned clubs around.

He has a storied record to back it up.

Good for 3 - 5 years.

65 years of age.

What do you think?

Alan Johnson

Juniors
Wow, he's almost 10% clear of the next two worst, one of whom was also a Warriors coach. Horrifying.

When I think about Kearney my mind inevitably leaps to the equally implausible and surprising presidential campaign of Donald J Trump. The parallels are eerie. There's no way this could happen. It doesn't make sense. This guy is a hopelessly unqualified clown. This is real life not reality TV.

Last edited:

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
I’ll throw Henry in the mix which I did in another topic

Tooves, I love the little bloke, and I fear if he took the Warriors job the last we would see of him would be paramedics carrying him out of the coaches box

JJ

Immortal
Griffin and Toovey have had pretty good squads...

Smith is a great coach but moved on?

Start at the top, give Gould control build from the ground up. The whole joint stinks... juniors don't develop and post Monie appoint the worst coach ever and sell it as a plus, rinse and repeat until by accident they came across two that actually could coach

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Dogs already in the hunt for him, but Flanagan when his suspension ends would be worth a look too

He has already achieved the impossible once, getting the Sharks a premiership after 50 years

Iron Lion

Juniors
Griffin and Toovey have had pretty good squads...

Smith is a great coach but moved on?

Start at the top, give Gould control build from the ground up. The whole joint stinks... juniors don't develop and post Monie appoint the worst coach ever and sell it as a plus, rinse and repeat until by accident they came across two that actually could coach

JJ you have nailed it!

I can't believe the drop in quality of the junior players.

Now I know the talent is there. Put these same players at other clubs and there is some future stars for sure.

But the Warriors have just gone backwards.

In fact even from a marketing point of view its a disaster because the junior players were the best thing going at the club. You felt and believed the future was bright.

Now we know nothing about them. And as results show, they cant win either.

Iron Lion

Juniors
JJ you have nailed it!

I can't believe the drop in quality of the junior players.

Now I know the talent is there. Put these same players at other clubs and there is some future stars for sure.

But the Warriors have just gone backwards.

In fact even from a marketing point of view its a disaster because the junior players were the best thing going at the club. You felt and believed the future was bright.

Now we know nothing about them. And as results show, they cant win either.

Just to add. Warriors dont have a shit awful squad. They have some capable players. Its just the forwards suck. Tohu Harris, Bunty Afoa, Lesson Ah Mau and Paasi is all we have. Our back row is a huge reason we lose games. You simply can not carry one dimensional forwards anymore like Papalii.

That was my main criticism of Simon Mannering. Modern forwards must be balanced players on attack and defence.

Rich102

Staff member
I would like to see the stats for success based on percentage of nz players in the squad.
I suspect the more Aussies we had the higher we rank.

Just to clarify. Players who played their junior football in Australia vs those who only played in NZ.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Dogs already in the hunt for him, but Flanagan when his suspension ends would be worth a look too

He has already achieved the impossible once, getting the Sharks a premiership after 50 years
Under Flanagan our juniors have never stronger and he bought through many, many players to grade. We are still benefitting from his pathways setup, Xerri and Nikora as examples.

Gets the last bit of juice from any lemon too.

If you went hard enough, you would get Dad, Kyle (he is pissed to be behind Shaun) and could probably get Jayden Brailey too.

That is a start you can build around.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
We don't need stats to know Kearney sucks.

Our squad is poor too, but we're getting to the point where all of them are Kearney approved so that just further shows how much he sucks.

JJ

Immortal
Kearney aint the problem.

We were shit well before he came along.

Johnson wasn't the problem, we were shit with him and are shit without him.

Neither might be the solution, but they weren't/aren't the problem
But Kearney sure as shit isn't part of a solution to anything

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Kearney is definitely a problem IMO.

The fact we were shit before him shows that management are also a problem as they keep replacing old problems with new problems.

Rich102

Staff member
It's hard to believe we swapped Cappy for someone with a worse record.
Someone needs to be held accountable.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Kearney aint the problem.

We were shit well before he came along.

Johnson wasn't the problem, we were shit with him and are shit without him.

Neither might be the solution, but they weren't/aren't the problem

He's not THE problem but he's definitely part of it. Huge part of it.

Good coaches create cultures. Ivan created his here. Bellamy obviously creates his. A lot of others do too. Obviously it's a lot to do with the front office staff etc, but a coach can play such an integral role in terms of setting the environment and culture. A good coach can force out the shit around them and effect change.