What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stephen Kearney takes break from Four Nations to lay down law to Eels players

benoir91

Juniors
INCOMING Parramatta coach Stephen Kearney will break from Four Nations camp to deliver his mantra to Eels players for the first time next week.
Desperate to draw a line on the disappointment of 2010, Kearney will fly to Sydney to address the squad ahead of the first pre-season training session at Parramatta Stadium on Monday.
It will be the first time most Eels players have met the rookie coach, who will miss the opening fortnight of pre-season while he plots the Kiwis' Four Nations campaign.
And while Kearney will spend little more than a couple of hours with the squad before conditioner Hayden Knowles puts them through a torturous running session, the tone will be all about what he expects for 2011.
"That's essentially the reason for it," Kearney told The Daily Telegraph yesterday. "As a new coach it's important I send the message what we're after and I want to be clear about where we are heading as a team. I think it's important I'm back there for that."
Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

Although neck deep in the Kiwis' Four Nations campaign, Kearney began planning the agenda for 2011 during a series of meetings with Eels assistant Peter Sharp and Knowles before going into camp three weeks ago.
It's meant burning the midnight oil in New Zealand, donning both Kiwi and Eels caps.
And while Kearney is tight-lipped about the sermon he will deliver on Monday, the new Eels mentor is adamant change starts on the training paddock.
"I'm not even probably going to be talking about (football)," he said. "The important thing is making sure they put their best foot forward every time we train. That will be the message and the focus of my address. The competition doesn't start for a good five months so it's about making sure we achieve what we've got to achieve in this pre-season."
With the Eels failing to make the finals this year after losing the 2009 grand final, Kearney begins his rookie season under intense pressure to immediately return the side to premiership contenders.
But the 38-year-old insists he is not concerned about the expectation or setting targets.
"I'm not thinking about that, I'm just worried about what we need to achieve in the pre-season," he said.
Asked if he had a message for long suffering Eels fans, Kearney promised a fresh direction.
"There will be changes in the way we do things, but essentially my focus now is just making sure we work as hard as we possibly can and that will lead to good performances," he said. "I'm not looking ahead to next year. I'm focused on what we've got to do the next five weeks. That will determine a lot."
Knowles, who will lead the training with Sharp, while Kearney is still involved with the Four Nations, said it was no surprise the new Eels coach followed Wayne Bennett's lead from 2008 to break camp and meet the squad.
Knowles, who was also involved with the Kiwis world cup campaign, said like Bennett, Kearney brought the best out in players.
He also joked at his recruitment powers.
"For sure players definitely want to play for him," Knowles said. "I reckon he'll attract players to the club. I'm not sure what he's doing over there now if he's bringing anyone back with him. It would be nice if he is."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...-to-eels-players/story-e6frexnr-1225945326645

boxhead

First Grade
What a great article! Kearney is very well spoken if I may say so myself.
Also, that is high praise from Mr Knowles, Stephen Kearney really looks set to get our team up and running!

Eels Dude

Coach
What a great article! Kearney is very well spoken if I may say so myself.
Also, that is high praise from Mr Knowles, Stephen Kearney really looks set to get our team up and running!

I'm not being spectical... but do you really think the papers would publish an article in the off season bagging out a club's new coach or simply one written to paint him in a bad light?

Snoochies

First Grade
I'm not being spectical... but do you really think the papers would publish an article in the off season bagging out a club's new coach or simply one written to paint him in a bad light?

Anythings possible with the DT.

Wise Old Eel

Juniors
I still maintain this is a good and positive article.

Really? You're easily pleased. It was the typical nothing article from the telecrap. Expect to see more of this tripe over the coming months as they push their "pro-Kearney" barrow & try to convince people the right decision was made regarding the change in coaches.

Having said that, I wish Kearney all the best for 2011. As an Eels supporter, I hope he succeeds. I would LOVE to see Parramatta win a premiership. As a Daniel Anderson fan, I won't be too disappointed if he doesn't.

WOE

Maroubra Eel

Coach
Good article. Good to see the coach will be turning up to pre season training. Just shows how very committed he is.

big boppa eel

Juniors
Really? You're easily pleased. It was the typical nothing article from the telecrap. Expect to see more of this tripe over the coming months as they push their "pro-Kearney" barrow & try to convince people the right decision was made regarding the change in coaches.

Having said that, I wish Kearney all the best for 2011. As an Eels supporter, I hope he succeeds. I would LOVE to see Parramatta win a premiership. As a Daniel Anderson fan, I won't be too disappointed if he doesn't.

WOE
You made some sense, in regards to Boxhead being easily pleased, but quite pathetic comment in your last line, clearly not a Parra fan.

boxhead

First Grade
Guys, I will say this.

Watching the New Zealand V Papua New Guinea game, I can honestly say, that if Kearney can get the best out of a national team like this and make them gel so well even with only a few weeks of training, then imagine what he could do with our first-grade team....

New Zealand are gelling and playing at their best, their completion rate is high, their forwards, pivots and halves are all firing and gel so well together.

This is the result of brilliant coaching and great training. I think Kearney definitely has the ability to get the best out of his players......

Eels Dude

Coach
Boxhead even you could coach NZ to a cpnvincing victory over PNG. To beat the park football side that is PNG all you have to do is play the percentages and the result will sort itself out.

boxhead

First Grade
Well true but you can just tell by watching New Zealand in comparison to their past matches, they are fully switched on and playing near their peak; to me it looks like Kearney has brought out the best in each of them individually.

parra pete

Referee
Maybe Anderson will go somewhere else and knock us out of the finals. Then you'd be f**ken STOKED!

AS usually happens....the grass is always greener over the fence..especially when it comes to replacing coaches....Getting rid of a bloke you know can do the job, and replacing him with a bloke you THINK can do the job...it's always a risk...

Latest posts