What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stephen Kearney takes break from Four Nations to lay down law to Eels players

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
We rnt saying he shouldn't be allowed to talk, but maybe he should lay off the media stuff until he starts backing it up with some good form. The fact he was in the papers/tv every week in 2010 just put more pressure on him to perform and he sure as hell didn't perform.

Until he starts playing like a first grader leave the media gigs to the captain.

Mate, the more our pretty boys appear in the media, the more memberships and season tickets we sell.

Especially in the off-season when the punters are deciding whether or not to commit the money.

Haynzy

First Grade
Giving quotes for articles is not a stressful thing to do, appearing on tv for interviews is no biggy either...seriously, who cares if they talk to the media.
As if it has any impact on how they train or play the game :crazy:

cv8z

Juniors
I'm the one saying how well I think Carl Webb will go next year. That's optimism.

Likewise, pessimism pertains to anticipation of the future. My criticising the club as a less-than-ideal place for a new coach to come has nothing to do with the future. And for what it's worth, I support the board's decision to sack Anderson and I think Kearney is a great buy.

I reckon Kearney, Webb and the rest of the club wil kick arse next year.

That's optimism you f**king genius.

Sorry you're a disbelieving f@ckwit with optimism then

guruminga

Juniors
Giving quotes for articles is not a stressful thing to do, appearing on tv for interviews is no biggy either...seriously, who cares if they talk to the media.
As if it has any impact on how they train or play the game :crazy:

Mate, you obviously have internet out bush! Luxury!:D

mrpwnd

Bench
Sorry you're a disbelieving f@ckwit with optimism then
Oh wow, so he hammers you and you resort to some childish name calling.
Some bloody heaven-sent angel you must be.
I'd spit on you if it were worth the temporary loss of my saliva.

fanaticeel

Juniors
Kearney drops in to tell his Eels what to expect - plenty of sweat

Brad Walter

NEW Parramatta coach Stephen Kearney has put the club's players on notice to prepare for a tough off-season as they reported to training for the first time since missing out on this year's finals series.
Kearney, who takes over the reins at the Eels after the sacking of Daniel Anderson in grand final week, took time out from his duties as New Zealand coach to meet his squad before their return to training yesterday.
He did not stay to see the players complete their pre-season testing with a time trial at Parramatta Park but left them in no doubt about what to expect before he flew back to Auckland to prepare the Kiwis for Saturday night's Four Nations match against Australia at Eden Park.

''I just let them know that over the next five weeks we are going to work very hard,'' Kearney said. ''It was the first day back at training and as a new coach I thought it was important that I was there for that. I wanted to welcome everyone into the group and just make sure they are aware of what is expected of them.''

Since his appointment, Kearney has kept in contact with some senior Eels players but it was the first time the World Cup-winning mentor had met most of the squad. He believed his message had been well received.
He will return to the club in two weeks' time after the October 13 Four Nations final between the Kiwis and Kangaroos at Suncorp Stadium. In the interim his coaching staff of Peter Sharp, Brad Arthur and Hayden Knowles will implement the training program he outlined.

The players included new recruits Carl Webb, Casey McGuire and Jordan Atkins. Centre Timana Tahu was also present, despite being yet to finalise a new deal with the club.Tahu has been given the remainder of the week off as he had been in the Kangaroos train-on squad named during the finals series and is expected to have signed a new contract before his return. Nathan Hindmarsh, Luke Burt, Shane Shackleton and Tim Mannah will also take time out from training for three days to spread the Eat Well, Play Well, Stay Well message to schoolchildren and communities in New England as part of the Blue and Gold Deadly Heart program.
Meanwhile, the Eels will intensify negotiations to sign former Manly captain Matt Orford when his manager, George Mimis, returns from the US later this week. The halfback has requested a release from the remaining two years of his Bradford contract and is being sought by Parramatta and Canberra.

Bradford officials want a transfer fee but Mimis is understood to have told the Eels and Raiders he believes the Super League club has no grounds to demand a payment for Orford's release. The Bulls have signed Canberra halfback Marc Herbert to replace Orford.
Kearney, who has been in contact with Orford, was a teammate of his for four seasons at Melbourne.

■ Next year's World Club Challenge will be held at Wigan's DW Stadium on February 27, raising doubts about St George Illawarra's ability to play in the annual Charity Shield clash with South Sydney scheduled for February 26.

EELS' GAINS AND LOSSES

Gains: Jordan Atkins (Titans), Casey McGuire (Catalans), Reni Maitua (suspension), Brad Murray (Roosters), Carl Webb (Cowboys).
Losses: Nathan Cayless (retired), Krisnan Inu (Warriors), Kris Keating (Bulldogs), Feleti Mateo (Warriors), Johnathan Wright (Bulldogs).

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...o-expect--plenty-of-sweat-20101101-17ail.html

Last edited:

FROSTY319

Juniors
EELS' GAINS AND LOSSES

Gains: Jordan Atkins (Titans), Casey McGuire (Catalans), Reni Maitua (suspension), Brad Murray (Roosters), Carl Webb (Cowboys).
Losses: Nathan Cayless (retired), Krisnan Inu (Warriors), Kris Keating (Bulldogs), Feleti Mateo (Warriors), Johnathan Wright (Bulldogs).

Hmmm :?

cv8z

Juniors
Oh wow, so he hammers you and you resort to some childish name calling.
Some bloody heaven-sent angel you must be.
I'd spit on you if it were worth the temporary loss of my saliva.

Keep the spit for the palm of your hand, do what you do best and go and mind your own business.

lingard

Coach
EELS' GAINS AND LOSSES

Hmmm :?

Doesn`t look too good on the face of it, does it?
Kris Keating`s no loss. I think a change in captain was long overdue. Inu could have been a great loss, except for the fact that he`s lost so much speed. What the hell happened? I don`t get it. And Mateo at his best is a great loss - but at his worst, is no loss at all. The new recruits look like a motley old crew. Let`s hope they shape up.

lingard

Coach
Here we go again

Criticism is rife, give me a break, what about talking up our players. The Yawnion boys do it all the time, we death ride everything that happens at the moment

Chill pills needed all round , FMD it is the November pre season after all

Let`s see you talk up Jeff Robson. Hypocrite. :lol:

Eelementary

Post Whore
Doesn`t look too good on the face of it, does it?
Kris Keating`s no loss. I think a change in captain was long overdue. Inu could have been a great loss, except for the fact that he`s lost so much speed. What the hell happened? I don`t get it. And Mateo at his best is a great loss - but at his worst, is no loss at all. The new recruits look like a motley old crew. Let`s hope they shape up.

Why?

As far as I'm concerned, our only genuine loss is Cayless.

People whinged about Inu's lack of speed - we punted him and got Atkins. And Walker, to boot.

People whinged about Keating and how he was unable to do anything. We punted him and signed Brad Murray and even Casey McGuire. Hell, even maitua could play 5/8.

People whinged about Mateo's lazy defence and lack of fitness. We punted him and signed Maitua who, people's personal opinions aside, had a few good years in the areas Mateo lacked in before he went off the rails.

Honestly - you people act so f**king high and mighty. "Oh, he's a fat lump! Oh, he's a druggo! Oh, he's a wanker!" These people are here to play football, not anything else. And when they win the Premiership, all of you doubters will have egg on your faces but your hypocrisy won't let it show through.

Sometimes my love for this club is pushed to breaking point by some of its so-called "supporters".

mrpwnd

Bench
Keep the spit for the palm of your hand, do what you do best and go and mind your own business.
Regardless of the location of my own body fluids, my point still stands. Go PM yourselves if your so intent on keeping it private mate, until then your childish comments will continue to litter this thread and I'll continue to denigrate you.

Delboy

First Grade
Ahhh Lingard , how I have missed your insightful comments

I was referring to the recruitment, and guess what, I still don't share yuour enthusiasm for certain players. I will back my opinion over yours to be honest, one swallow does not make a summer and ability is more lasting that 6 or 7 games a season

Cheers

mrpwnd

Bench
Why?

People whinged about Inu's lack of speed - we punted him and got Atkins. And Walker, to boot.

People whinged about Keating and how he was unable to do anything. We punted him and signed Brad Murray and even Casey McGuire. Hell, even maitua could play 5/8.

People whinged about Mateo's lazy defence and lack of fitness. We punted him and signed Maitua who, people's personal opinions aside, had a few good years in the areas Mateo lacked in before he went off the rails.

Honestly - you people act so f**king high and mighty. "Oh, he's a fat lump! Oh, he's a druggo! Oh, he's a wanker!" These people are here to play football, not anything else. And when they win the Premiership, all of you doubters will have egg on your faces but your hypocrisy won't let it show through.

Sometimes my love for this club is pushed to breaking point by some of its so-called "supporters".
Well look, it's great that you have a very bright and positive attitude as a supporter for our club.
However, I'm taking the stance of a father-like supporter for this club. People don't want their daughters going off with fat boys, druggos or QLDers and I often personify the Eels as my daughter.
As a supporter I'm worried that we're taking the wrong path down the recruitment of our players, maybe they deserve better treatment, maybe they will try and put in but until then it's all speculation. At face value it just looks plain bad considering the facts as they stand, a fat waste of talent, a has-been caught for numerous off-field incidents and an alcoholic with anxiety disorder.
Honestly, I'd love to be the one supporting these guys on the front lines...But it's just really hard considering their backgrounds and even harder when you consider that most of them have been given chances to redeem themselves before only to push their idiocy more.

Noise

Coach
Why?

I agree with all that particulary the bit about "they're here to play football" Lets not worry about their past and focus on how they play in 2011

However I don't see cayless as much of a loss, particularly his form this year. With fui, poore, mannah and even webb i dont see how we r in a worse position. There wouldnt b too many sides with 4 better top line props

Eelementary

Post Whore
Well look, it's great that you have a very bright and positive attitude as a supporter for our club.
However, I'm taking the stance of a father-like supporter for this club. People don't want their daughters going off with fat boys, druggos or QLDers and I often personify the Eels as my daughter.
As a supporter I'm worried that we're taking the wrong path down the recruitment of our players, maybe they deserve better treatment, maybe they will try and put in but until then it's all speculation. At face value it just looks plain bad considering the facts as they stand, a fat waste of talent, a has-been caught for numerous off-field incidents and an alcoholic with anxiety disorder.
Honestly, I'd love to be the one supporting these guys on the front lines...But it's just really hard considering their backgrounds and even harder when you consider that most of them have been given chances to redeem themselves before only to push their idiocy more.

That's fair enough, mate. And I never meant to insinuate you should support them or otherwise you're not a true supporter. You're as passionate as anyone I have cyber-met.

I completely understand people's reservations about Webb, Maitua and Walker. I do. But I believe people have the right to try to change and not have people judge them - until they stuff up again. If Webb refuses to get fit...If Maitua comes back and starts on the drugs again...If Walker hits the grog and refuses to get help for his condition...Then I believe we can say enough is enough and piss them off. But characterising them as a fatso, a druggo and a tool based on past experiences when they haven't yet had the chance to redeem themselves to us is just a tad harsh IMO.

I would have rathered we focused our recruitment in a slightly different direction, but all in all and considering who was available, I believe we've done OK. Webb is a fair trade off for Caylo (albeit sans the leadership); Maitua, in my honest opinion...When he's fit and focused he's a better all around player than Mateo. Inu, who I do like, was not a massive loss with his erratic form the last two years, and we signed a couple of experienced backs to compensate. Lastly, KK, a kid I also had huge hopes for, was not a loss due to his ineffiency in Firsts for us. But at least we signed two very talented young NYC halfbacks to compensate.

I take your point about the fact they've had chances before, though. It is indeed concerning. But perhaps (and of course it's just a theory) the big problem here was that deep down those blokes were not happy where they were and stopped caring.

For instance, maybe Maitua was sick of playing for the Sharks (for argument's sake). He resorted to the same behaviour he had learned whilst at the Dogs because it was a coping mechanism.

Perhaps Webb thought moving to North Queensland would be awesome - he'd still be in his home state, but he'd be out of the spotlight. And he'd get to play with some great players. It turns out, maybe, that he didn't enjoy it, got maybe a tad depressed and stopped caring.

It's all speculative, of course, but it certainly makes a bit of sense (at least to me lol). Certainly in Carl's case - if he was unhappy, I can totally understand why he let himself go. You may argue that it is totally unprofessional of him to do something like that. But if you get to a point where you are just so numb to everything, you don't care - you honestly don't even think about the consequences.

If we can keep Webb and co. happy and motivated we are onto a winner. If we can't and they mess up again, we can tell them where to get off. Maybe they even have something about their behaviour in their contracts - say, that Maitua has to lay off the drugs and Webb has to stay at a certain weight, and if they break the conditions, they don't get paid. I don't know.

One thing is for sure, though - I will bet that, come round 1, as disappointed as some may be in seeing someone like Carl Webb in the Blue and Gold, everyone will cheer him on and support him. Ditto Maitua and Walker.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I agree with all that particulary the bit about "they're here to play football" Lets not worry about their past and focus on how they play in 2011

However I don't see cayless as much of a loss, particularly his form this year. With fui, poore, mannah and even webb i dont see how we r in a worse position. There wouldnt b too many sides with 4 better top line props

Good points. I guess I meant it more in a strictly leadership sense. Cayless was often criticised by fans on here in terms of his captaincy and leadership, but his players never had anything bad to say about him.

mrpwnd

Bench
That's fair enough, mate. And I never meant to insinuate you should support them or otherwise you're not a true supporter. You're as passionate as anyone I have cyber-met.

I completely understand people's reservations about Webb, Maitua and Walker. I do. But I believe people have the right to try to change and not have people judge them - until they stuff up again. If Webb refuses to get fit...If Maitua comes back and starts on the drugs again...If Walker hits the grog and refuses to get help for his condition...Then I believe we can say enough is enough and piss them off. But characterising them as a fatso, a druggo and a tool based on past experiences when they haven't yet had the chance to redeem themselves to us is just a tad harsh IMO.

I would have rathered we focused our recruitment in a slightly different direction, but all in all and considering who was available, I believe we've done OK. Webb is a fair trade off for Caylo (albeit sans the leadership); Maitua, in my honest opinion...When he's fit and focused he's a better all around player than Mateo. Inu, who I do like, was not a massive loss with his erratic form the last two years, and we signed a couple of experienced backs to compensate. Lastly, KK, a kid I also had huge hopes for, was not a loss due to his ineffiency in Firsts for us. But at least we signed two very talented young NYC halfbacks to compensate.

I take your point about the fact they've had chances before, though. It is indeed concerning. But perhaps (and of course it's just a theory) the big problem here was that deep down those blokes were not happy where they were and stopped caring.

For instance, maybe Maitua was sick of playing for the Sharks (for argument's sake). He resorted to the same behaviour he had learned whilst at the Dogs because it was a coping mechanism.

Perhaps Webb thought moving to North Queensland would be awesome - he'd still be in his home state, but he'd be out of the spotlight. And he'd get to play with some great players. It turns out, maybe, that he didn't enjoy it, got maybe a tad depressed and stopped caring.

It's all speculative, of course, but it certainly makes a bit of sense (at least to me lol). Certainly in Carl's case - if he was unhappy, I can totally understand why he let himself go. You may argue that it is totally unprofessional of him to do something like that. But if you get to a point where you are just so numb to everything, you don't care - you honestly don't even think about the consequences.

If we can keep Webb and co. happy and motivated we are onto a winner. If we can't and they mess up again, we can tell them where to get off. Maybe they even have something about their behaviour in their contracts - say, that Maitua has to lay off the drugs and Webb has to stay at a certain weight, and if they break the conditions, they don't get paid. I don't know.

One thing is for sure, though - I will bet that, come round 1, as disappointed as some may be in seeing someone like Carl Webb in the Blue and Gold, everyone will cheer him on and support him. Ditto Maitua and Walker.
I hear you mate, I'll be the first to admit I've been overly critical of those 3 in recent times. I guess now at this stage all we can do is speculate and hope that these guys get it all together.
I'd hate for us to be the next laughing stock right after I've just had a real good laugh at the expense of the Raiders and their recent dog of an off season.

lingard

Coach
Why?

Mate, you`re barking up the wrong tree. I think you`ll find I pretty much agree with you. I`m saying that, on the face of it, the new recruits look like a motley bunch, but the losses are really no great loss. I reckon Maitua could well be a very good signing. The others I don`t know, but they aren`t terrible. Chris Walker could surprise a few people.

lingard

Coach
Ahhh Lingard , how I have missed your insightful comments

I was referring to the recruitment, and guess what, I still don't share yuour enthusiasm for certain players. I will back my opinion over yours to be honest, one swallow does not make a summer and ability is more lasting that 6 or 7 games a season

Cheers

Thank you, Dellboy; that`s good of you.
As always, you are as elusive as Floyd Mayweather ......... but without the knock-out punch. Cheers.

Latest posts