What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stephen Kearney takes break from Four Nations to lay down law to Eels players

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
AS usually happens....the grass is always greener over the fence..especially when it comes to replacing coaches....Getting rid of a bloke you know can do the job, and replacing him with a bloke you THINK can do the job...it's always a risk...

It's about respectability - this is the sole cause of earnt respect.

People have been divided on Anderson for years, however nobody talks sh*t about Kearney. We're talking about one of the game's dominant personalities here.

When somebody like Brian Smith or Daniel Anderson pisses a player off, people talk about him 'losing the respect of the players'. When coaches like Wayne Bennett and Kearney piss a player off the player is blamed.

Some coaches command respect while others are endlessly having to prove themselves. This is not just true in coaching but in all walks of life.

parra pete

Referee

People have been divided on Anderson for years, however nobody talks sh*t about Kearney. We're talking about one of the game's dominant personalities here.

When somebody like Brian Smith or Daniel Anderson pisses a player off, people talk about him 'losing the respect of the players'. When coaches like Wayne Bennett and Kearney piss a player off the player is blamed.

Some coaches command respect while others are endlessly having to prove themselves. This is not just true in coaching but in all walks of life.

By nobody, I assume you don't count Jarrod McCracken.

spartan2153

Juniors

The reason you dont hear that crap is because he has never coached.

for f*cks sake. He is not bennet re incarnated. His success is off the back of a cheating scum team & his only claim to fame is being a unofficial assistant coach to wayne bennet when they one the world cup against the worst coach to ever coach australia

Kearney deserves praise when he proves himself until then please stop with all the bennett comparisons

Eels Dude

Coach
Agree with Spartan and Maroubra. Of course you're not going to read or hear s**t about an assistant coach in the papers or on talkback... they're not in the spotlight it's pretty damn obvious.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

I do. Jarrod McCracken has no credibility in the league world any more.

Just like Ray Price.

The reason you dont hear that crap is because he has never coached.

No but he's been around since the early 90s. He's had plenty of opportunity to show he's a f**kwit.

And he hasn't.

for f*cks sake. He is not bennet re incarnated.

No he isn't. But his reputation as a man, in the league world, is up there with Wayne Bennett.

His success is off the back of a cheating scum team & his only claim to fame is being a unofficial assistant coach to wayne bennet when they one the world cup against the worst coach to ever coach australia

Kearney deserves praise when he proves himself until then please stop with all the bennett comparisons

This isn't about his success or his accomplishments as a coach; it's about the level of respect people in the league world have for him. That's partly due to his success as a player, but mostly because of the strength of his character.

Daniel Anderson never had this level of respect in the league world. It is something that can only be earned.

born an eel

Bench
Well true but you can just tell by watching New Zealand in comparison to their past matches, they are fully switched on and playing near their peak; to me it looks like Kearney has brought out the best in each of them individually.
you mean the last couple of years when they were coached by that absolute joke of a coach..........now who was that again???????:crazy:

boxhead

First Grade
you mean the last couple of years when they were coached by that absolute joke of a coach..........now who was that again???????:crazy:

Stephen Kearney. Yes I know. I was pointing out that when he gets them playing at their best, they are awesome.

Look, Kearney is a World Cup winning coach with the New Zealand Kiwis. That alone tells you the guy has credentials. The Kiwis problem for mine has never been talent in comparison to Australia, it's always been their consistency. Kearney looks to be gradually coaching that into them, which is what I'm interested in.

Last edited:

Eels Dude

Coach
Stephen Kearney. Yes I know. I was pointing out that when he gets them playing at their best, they are awesome.

Look, Kearney is a World Cup winning coach with the New Zealand Kiwis. That alone tells you the guy has credentials. The Kiwis problem for mine has never been talent in comparison to Australia, it's always been their consistency. Kearney looks to be gradually coaching that into them, which is what I'm interested in.

I'd leave that until next week to decide. He's still only coached the Kiwis to one victory over Australia in 5 meetings and there's been a couple of thrashings in there too. Chances are we'll play NZ next week and then again in the final, so we'll have a far better idea of what he can achieve in 2 weeks time.

shiznit

Coach
Jarrod McCracken has nothing against Mook's...

hes been interviewed numerous times in NZ and asked that question... everytime he said he's got no hard feelings towards Mooks... he was suing the insurance company... not the player. he also said that if he had been told that any money gained would have come directly out of the pocket of the players he would have dropped the case.

boxhead

First Grade
I'd leave that until next week to decide. He's still only coached the Kiwis to one victory over Australia in 5 meetings and there's been a couple of thrashings in there too. Chances are we'll play NZ next week and then again in the final, so we'll have a far better idea of what he can achieve in 2 weeks time.

Yeah I agree, I think though it will definitely be an Kangaroo V Kiwi final, as Kiwis are already through and I doubt we will lose to England. We have to wait and see I guess :)

shiznit

Coach
what thrashings are you referring to??

i dont recall them getting thrashed too badly under Kearney...

When Daniel Anderson had them.... i remember an absolute trouncing in Sydney...

But Kearney's been one of the better kiwi coaches weve had for awhile.

Eels Dude

Coach
what thrashings are you referring to??

i dont recall them getting thrashed too badly under Kearney...

When Daniel Anderson had them.... i remember an absolute trouncing in Sydney...

But Kearney's been one of the better kiwi coaches weve had for awhile.

30-6 in the world cup, and 38-10 last year. Daniel Anderson's biggest loss was a 37-10 loss, he was not in charge for either of the games we put 50 on the Kiwis mid decade.

boxhead

First Grade
Smart Kearney, he knows we've been the laziest team during the past decade.

Which is exactly why he wants to come here, because he wants to turn us around. What better club to try and do so, and make his name? We are a pile of crap at the moment, I think his logic is that if he does well, he will be even more respected.

Eels Dude

Coach
Which is exactly why he wants to come here, because he wants to turn us around. What better club to try and do so, and make his name? We are a pile of crap at the moment, I think his logic is that if he does well, he will be even more respected.

I think his logic is, he's been offered a first grade head coaching role so he may as well take it while the oppurtunity is available to him.

boxhead

First Grade
I think his logic is, he's been offered a first grade head coaching role so he may as well take it while the oppurtunity is available to him.

That's what I meant and you know it, I was talking about why he would take our job above others.

Latest posts