What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Steve Folkes joins Tigers.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...it-still-on-menu/story-e6frexnr-1225773042558

STEVE Folkes is ready to make his return to the NRL, with Wests Tigers offering him a job as head trainer.

But there's a get-out clause attached to the deal - just in case the Souths coaching position is up for grabs by tonight.
Folkes, the former Bulldogs premiership-winning coach, is poised to replace current Tigers trainer Cherry Mescia alongside head coach Tim Sheens.
After leaving the Dogs last year, fitness fanatic Folkes took over as strength and conditioning coach for the West Indies cricket team.
But he makes no secret of the fact he would love to be back in the NRL.
While the trainer's job at the Tigers has appeal, Folkes admits he is a career coach and it seems highly likely he will throw his hat in to the Rabbitohs' ring if Jason Taylor's tenure at South Sydney is ended because of his involvement in the club's Sad Sunday incident. Taylor has until 5pm today to explain why he should not be sacked after a punch-up with player David Fa'alogo.
Speculation is rife that Taylor is facing the sack, but he and manager Wayne Beavis are ready to present a strong case for his retention. Fa'alogo will front the Souths board this Friday to explain his actions.
If Souths do sack Taylor, the club will start the search for a replacement and several experienced coaches will be sounded out.
Asked whether he would want to coach Souths, Folkes said: "I guess. I'm a career coach. I am currently unemployed so if any head coaching job came up, you would have to say you're interested.''
Folkes said he was "not at liberty'' to reveal details of his Wests Tigers deal.
On the subject of his get-out clause, Folkes said: "That's all a bit too far ahead for me.
"I haven't given that any thought.'' Ironically, Tigers coach Sheens was initially mooted as a candidate for the Souths job, alongside Sharks assistant Shane Flanagan and former North Queensland coach Graham Murray.
Souths football manager John Lang, a veteran coach, is unlikely to covet the job.
"As far as I know, everyone is jumping the gun [in relation to Souths]. Jason Taylor is still employed there,'' Folkes said.
Folkes' manager John Fordham was also reluctant to discuss any possible move to Redfern. "I am not prepared to discuss anything to do with Souths while there is still a coach employed by that organisation,'' Fordham said.
Souths co-owner Peter Holmes a Court and CEO Shane Richardson want to hear Taylor's explanation before deciding the coach's future.
"It's a board process. But it is important we wait and receive all the information. JT has a right of response,'' Holmes a Court said. "I'm not forming an opinion until we have completed the process. We will do that professionally and thoroughly. The worst that can happen in these situations is for someone to be pre-judged.''

ByRd

First Grade
Goodluck Folksey, you are good coach and should be in charge of an NRL club especially with some of the drop kicks coaching out there

Magpies Forever

Juniors
Common Souths- make Sheensy an offer too good to refuse. I'm sure WT would look favourably on him going early. Just think Teflon you could hand over the reins to Simmons or Folkes........... arrgh!!!!!!!!

BuffaloRules

Coach
Would Folkesy be a better coach for WT then Shines??

Hmmm.. I dunno....

Defensively they would improve, but I think he would take the flair out of them.....

Tiger Hawk

Bench
Step in the right direction for mine, if we secure his services. With any luck Simmons will get the boot.

DanOz

Juniors
Some guy said on the 2SM Talkin Sport program last night that Souths will sack Taylor today, and Sheens will be their new coach with Folkes to coach the Tigers.

Magpies Forever

Juniors
Lord knows - interesting proposition though.

I have an open mind over Folkes- I defintiely rate him defensively but not sure in attack. But then again thats what you have assistant coaches for to help with. ONe thing though WT have a very good reputation for liaison and general cooperativeness- not sure Folkes exactly lived up to that requirement when at Canterbury. But then again if he is made to agree to such things when he signs contract fine- he knows what he has to do.

Juniors
Witht e exception of 2005 the tigers seem to be one of the most injury prone teams, and certainly the one whos players take the longest to recover. New strength and conditioning tecniques could be benneficial. Perhaps they also need to have a look at a revamp in the medical department....or we could just be unlucky with injury???

I would like to see sheens go but not if he is to be replaced with Steve Folkes. Sheens may have problems attracting big names, Folkes seems to have problems retaining them. I would hat to see our big name players go elsewhere.

Magpies Forever

Juniors
I'd suggest that Folkes does not suffer fools and idiots gladly- and lets them know it. I'm sure prima- donna's will not be entertained under Folkes if he got the helm.

Then again all this could be the shortest lived signing ever -seeing the get out clause for the SOuths job.

Mind you there is also the Tame Tupou shortest lived contract too - failed physical, never played and only cost us $500 for the contract plus associated legal and medical costs- a bargain for the bargain basement shoppers Wests Tigers.

RoMo

Juniors
A revamp in the medical area ?
Dr Kuah is an expert .. who could forget Dr Death's misfiring needle on Robbie in 07 or his clearance for Galloway to go back on before f**king his knee up further this season

Don't forget the good doctor also bulk bills which is the most important factor

Bench
I am all for the Folkes to us deal,hope he sticks around,at the very least it will put the pressure on Sheens,and our recovery from injuries will be better.
He might be able to attract us a decent signing,something Tim can't do.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Piss off Sheens
Makes Folkes Head Coach
Mescia can stay on
Make Skando defence coach

N.C.

Juniors
Folkes set to return with Tigers

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,26072730-5012431,00.html

Brent Read | September 15, 2009

Article from: The Australian
AS South Sydney prepares to make a decision on the future of coach Jason Taylor, former Bulldogs mentor Steve Folkes is set to make his return to the NRL with the Wests Tigers.
Folkes is expected to be unveiled as the Tigers conditioner today, taking over from Cherry Mescia, who is likely to join the Sydney Roosters as a replacement for Ron Palmer.
It is understood Folkes has a get-out clause in his deal with the Tigers should he be offered the opportunity to coach in the NRL again. But his decision to return to his roots -- Folkes was the Bulldogs trainer before becoming the club's head coach -- is likely to put to bed suggestions he is headed to England to join Celtic or Wigan.
Folkes has only recently returned from a six-month stint as strength and conditioning coach with the West Indies cricket side. He had been working in the media and made it clear he wanted another chance at coaching in the NRL.
His decision to link with Tim Sheens at the Tigers is the next best thing. Although he won't be on staff as a coach, Folkes will still be heavily involved in the NRL. It will also keep him on the radar of other clubs.
Souths could be one of those, pending its decision on Taylor. Folkes has been linked with the job, although his manager John Fordham declined to comment on the speculation yesterday.
"I'm not prepared to discuss anything to do with Souths while there is a coach employed by that organisation," Fordham said.
Other coaches linked with the job include Melbourne assistant Michael Maguire, Souths coaching director John Lang and former North Queensland and Sydney Roosters coach Graham Murray.
Melbourne assistant Stephen Kearney and Sheens have ruled themselves out.
Taylor had until today to respond to a breach notice issued last week following his punch-up with Rabbitohs forward David Fa'alogo at the club's end-of-season celebrations.
Souths officials remain coy on whether Taylor will be sacked.

Ah well you take the good news with the bad I guess. Folkes at the Tigers is a step in the right direction as far as I'm concerned. It signals a dramatic shift away from the "promote from within" policy which has amounted to nothing but nepotism and failure in the last couple of seasons.

TimmyB

Juniors
A revamp in the medical area ?
Dr Kuah is an expert .. who could forget Dr Death's misfiring needle on Robbie in 07 or his clearance for Galloway to go back on before f**king his knee up further this season

Don't forget the good doctor also bulk bills which is the most important factor

Oh f*** off, Dr Kuah IS one of the best in the business.

DanOz

Juniors
I'll take Folkes any day. Tigers don't need someone to coach attack, Benji, Robbie and co play what they see and do it well.

If he comes in, stiffens our defense, lets the boys play their natural game attacking football, picks our best players, and plays them in their actual positions = semi final football imo.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
the good thing about a defence oriented coach, they have a tendancy to buy high profile forwards.

If we had a pack that was dominant 9 times out of 10, we become the hardest team to beat in the NRL, imagine Benji, Moltzen, Farah, Lawrie and Tuiaki behind a dominant pack.....f**k!

innsaneink

Referee
I'd suggest that Folkes does not suffer fools and idiots gladly- and lets them know it. I'm sure prima- donna's will not be entertained under Folkes if he got the helm.

Then again all this could be the shortest lived signing ever -seeing the get out clause for the SOuths job.

Mind you there is also the Tame Tupou shortest lived contract too - failed physical, never played and only cost us $500 for the contract plus associated legal and medical costs- a bargain for the bargain basement shoppers Wests Tigers.

Have I missed something with Tupou?

Good move with Folkes imo......the way I see this it can be engineered so Sheens doesnt get the punt or anything negative like that, his head trainer merely takes over when his times up.
As MU says, hopefully Folkes will see us get some real forwards.

Latest posts