What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Steve Folkes joins Tigers.

Magpies Forever

Juniors
Have I missed something with Tupou?

Good move with Folkes imo......the way I see this it can be engineered so Sheens doesnt get the punt or anything negative like that, his head trainer merely takes over when his times up.
As MU says, hopefully Folkes will see us get some real forwards.

Its in the Mark Flanaghan thread here in this forum both notes from Sando88-

"According to Rugby League Week (due out Wednesday but i already have my hands on ;-))

wests tigers have signed Mark Flanagan from Wigan next year on a 2yr contract.

also, we are no longer signing tame toupou as he failed the fitness test and will be getting a reconstruction

they believe we will be releasing corey payne and rocky trimarchi"

and

"Wests Tigers wish to clarify news on player signings for 2010.
An article in this week’s Rugby League Week claims Wests Tigers have signed one of the best young back-rowers in England in Wigan forward Mark Flanagan.
The article states Flanagan has signed a two-year deal. The 21-year-old can also play half, five-eighth and hooker.
Wests Tigers Recruitment Manager Warren McDonnell said the article was not correct.
“Mark has not signed with Wests Tigers. We have spoken to Mark and his management and have sent him a contract to look at.’’ McDonnell said.
“Should Mark sign the contract, we will announce it once we receive it. At this stage, it is just speculation.’’
McDonnell also pointed out winger Tame Tupou and former forward Liam Fulton had not been signed by Wests Tigers despite being listed in an article on each club’s gains and losses for next year.
It is just another reason why for the all latest and most accurate news on the Wests Tigers, the official website is the place to be."

Last edited:

super_coach

First Grade
The way I read the situation, Cherry M was headhunted by Brian Smith to take over from Ronnie Palmer so we had a position vacant on the coaching staff for a head trainer so Sheens offered his out of work mate the gig.

Now outside the fitness side of things I dont know how much latitude Sheens will give Folkes. You have to remember we have the garden gnome and Gentles in the co-pilots seat and second officers seat.

If he can get some more grunt into the pack, and help improve the defense of the team in general it will be a great signing. I just have me doubts how anyone could work under Sheens, theirs only one way and thats Sheens way

Magpies Forever

Juniors
The way I read the situation, Cherry M was headhunted by Brian Smith to take over from Ronnie Palmer so we had a position vacant on the coaching staff for a head trainer so Sheens offered his out of work mate the gig.

Now outside the fitness side of things I dont know how much latitude Sheens will give Folkes. You have to remember we have the garden gnome and Gentles in the co-pilots seat and second officers seat.

If he can get some more grunt into the pack, and help improve the defense of the team in general it will be a great signing. I just have me doubts how anyone could work under Sheens, theirs only one way and thats Sheens way

Supercoach I dont disagree it may well be a hard position Folkes finds himself in next season but at very least it iwl gicve WT management time to look at things and increase our options in looking at new coach for 2011. I'd suggest it safe to say when SHeens goes, Simmons will not get the gig and go too, leaving a fight between Gentles, who has had no media exposure at all with Sheens and Simmons overshadowing him, and Folkes as the internal choices to add to a mix of whatever outsiders put up their hand.

Forth & Clyde

Juniors
I would have thought that Ron Palmer, old Balmain boy and one of the few Degree Qualified trainers (Human Movement and Physiology) in the NRL, would have been a no brainer, but no, yet again it may be a Canterbury has been....you could never accuse us of original thought

N.C.

Juniors
Did anyone see the official press release on this? From the WT website:

http://www.weststigers.com.au/default.aspx?s=newsdisplay&id=20264
STEVE FOLKES JOINS WESTS TIGERS

Tuesday, September 15, 2009
Wests Tigers CEO Stephen Humphreys is pleased to announce the appointment of former premiership winning player and coach Steve Folkes as the club’s new High Performance Manager.
Folkes will work alongside Wests Tigers Head Coach Tim Sheens and Assistant Coaches Royce Simmons and Peter Gentle in leading the club’s strength and conditioning program. He replaces Cherry Mescia who successfully filled the role since 2003.
“Steve brings a wealth of experience to our organisation. His appointment is the start of a new era for Wests Tigers as we step up across all areas in 2010,’’ Humphreys said.
Following his departure from the Bulldogs at the end of 2008, Folkes spent time as the strength and conditioning coach of the West Indies national cricket team.
Head Coach Tim Sheens said Folkes was the ideal candidate for the role.
“Steve is the man I wanted,’’ Sheens said.
“There is plenty of great talent and skilful players at Wests Tigers and with Steve now here, it will take our High Performance Program to a new level.”
Folkes spent his first day meeting the Wests Tigers players and inspecting the facilities at Concord Oval.
“This is an opportunity for me to work with such an exciting roster of players,’’ Folkes said.
“I’m really looking forward to contributing to the Wests Tigers program in 2010.
“Tim Sheens has an excellent history of success as an NRL coach and it will be a real pleasure working with him, my old mate Royce Simmons, and Peter Gentle.”

Interesting how it's framed as "Humphrey's" signing. Or maybe I'm just clutching at straws...

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Oh crap, Folkes has been infected already :(

"Tim Sheens has an excellent history of success as an NRL coach"

innsaneink

Referee
Its in the Mark Flanaghan thread here in this forum both notes from Sando88-

"According to Rugby League Week (due out Wednesday but i already have my hands on ;-))

wests tigers have signed Mark Flanagan from Wigan next year on a 2yr contract.

also, we are no longer signing tame toupou as he failed the fitness test and will be getting a reconstruction

they believe we will be releasing corey payne and rocky trimarchi"

and

"Wests Tigers wish to clarify news on player signings for 2010.
An article in this week’s Rugby League Week claims Wests Tigers have signed one of the best young back-rowers in England in Wigan forward Mark Flanagan.
The article states Flanagan has signed a two-year deal. The 21-year-old can also play half, five-eighth and hooker.
Wests Tigers Recruitment Manager Warren McDonnell said the article was not correct.
“Mark has not signed with Wests Tigers. We have spoken to Mark and his management and have sent him a contract to look at.’’ McDonnell said.
“Should Mark sign the contract, we will announce it once we receive it. At this stage, it is just speculation.’’
McDonnell also pointed out winger Tame Tupou and former forward Liam Fulton had not been signed by Wests Tigers despite being listed in an article on each club’s gains and losses for next year.
It is just another reason why for the all latest and most accurate news on the Wests Tigers, the official website is the place to be."

I wouldnt place too much credence on what sando writes... I hear from the horses mouth , he'd had the recon months and months ago, he had cleanout surgery about 2/3 weeks back, before then was training with the top squad....but could only run limited, knee would swell as there was a small flap of ligament needed removing

innsaneink

Referee
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...it-still-on-menu/story-e6frexnr-1225773042558

STEVE Folkes is ready to make his return to the NRL, with Wests Tigers offering him a job as head trainer.

But there's a get-out clause attached to the deal - just in case the Souths coaching position is up for grabs by tonight.

Folkes, the former Bulldogs premiership-winning coach, is poised to replace current Tigers trainer Cherry Mescia alongside head coach Tim Sheens.
After leaving the Dogs last year, fitness fanatic Folkes took over as strength and conditioning coach for the West Indies cricket team.
But he makes no secret of the fact he would love to be back in the NRL.
While the trainer's job at the Tigers has appeal, Folkes admits he is a career coach and it seems highly likely he will throw his hat in to the Rabbitohs' ring if Jason Taylor's tenure at South Sydney is ended because of his involvement in the club's Sad Sunday incident. Taylor has until 5pm today to explain why he should not be sacked after a punch-up with player David Fa'alogo.
Speculation is rife that Taylor is facing the sack, but he and manager Wayne Beavis are ready to present a strong case for his retention.
Fa'alogo will front the Souths board this Friday to explain his actions.
If Souths do sack Taylor, the club will start the search for a replacement and several experienced coaches will be sounded out.
Asked whether he would want to coach Souths, Folkes said: "I guess. I'm a career coach. I am currently unemployed so if any head coaching job came up, you would have to say you're interested.''
Folkes said he was "not at liberty'' to reveal details of his Wests Tigers deal.
On the subject of his get-out clause, Folkes said: "That's all a bit too far ahead for me.
"I haven't given that any thought.'' Ironically, Tigers coach Sheens was initially mooted as a candidate for the Souths job, alongside Sharks assistant Shane Flanagan and former North Queensland coach Graham Murray.
Souths football manager John Lang, a veteran coach, is unlikely to covet the job.
"As far as I know, everyone is jumping the gun [in relation to Souths]. Jason Taylor is still employed there,'' Folkes said.
Folkes' manager John Fordham was also reluctant to discuss any possible move to Redfern. "I am not prepared to discuss anything to do with Souths while there is still a coach employed by that organisation,'' Fordham said.
Souths co-owner Peter Holmes a Court and CEO Shane Richardson want to hear Taylor's explanation before deciding the coach's future.
"It's a board process. But it is important we wait and receive all the information. JT has a right of response,'' Holmes a Court said. "I'm not forming an opinion until we have completed the process. We will do that professionally and thoroughly. The worst that can happen in these situations is for someone to be pre-judged.''

JT's goorrne and Lang has been named as his replacement. :clap:

jasonl

Juniors
You gotta be kidding...

Steve Folkes - the most boring, unimaginative NRL coach of the last decade...

... secured by WT.

What a triumph.

At the Bulldogs, he may as well have mailed the weekly game plan in (or maybe he just pinned it up in the sheds at the beginning of each season).

Pure headbanger football - get the biggest, most intimidating and most expensive (even if you have to rort the salary cap blind) pack you can find and simply roll over the top. Chuck it to Sherwin on the 5th, build pressure in the red zone and eventually someone like Patten will run through the exhausted defence out wide - which is really no problem cos with El Magic in the team every 4 is a 6.

Price, Mason, O'Meley, Ryan, Asotasi, Norton, SBW, Maitua et al ...

... no wonder Anasta looked good.

And once all that firepower was gone, what happened to Folkes in 2008?

An empty shell with no answers, forced to humiliatingly scurry off into the night.

And since then the team's seen something of a slight reversal in fortunes eh?

Go figure.

Folkes was an exceptional player who played well above his weight. No disrespect there.

As a coach though, I would humbly suggest, he is not without his limitations.

By all means, get rid of Simmons (if he can be separated from Sheens at the hip) and put him in to starch up the defence.

But handing him the keys to guys like Farrah, Benji, Moltzen, Lawrence and co is IMO like getting your redneck cousin Cletus to park the monster truck and come manage your F1 team.

The players deserve better and so do you.

Just my thoughts.

Jase

parra pete

Referee
Should make a play for Jason Taylor ..Then you would have Sheens, Simmons, Folkes and Taylor...good brains trust..maybe even add Graham Murray.....

alien

Referee
You gotta be kidding...

Steve Folkes - the most boring, unimaginative NRL coach of the last decade...

... secured by WT.

What a triumph.

At the Bulldogs, he may as well have mailed the weekly game plan in (or maybe he just pinned it up in the sheds at the beginning of each season).

Pure headbanger football - get the biggest, most intimidating and most expensive (even if you have to rort the salary cap blind) pack you can find and simply roll over the top. Chuck it to Sherwin on the 5th, build pressure in the red zone and eventually someone like Patten will run through the exhausted defence out wide - which is really no problem cos with El Magic in the team every 4 is a 6.

Price, Mason, O'Meley, Ryan, Asotasi, Norton, SBW, Maitua et al ...

... no wonder Anasta looked good.

And once all that firepower was gone, what happened to Folkes in 2008?

An empty shell with no answers, forced to humiliatingly scurry off into the night.

And since then the team's seen something of a slight reversal in fortunes eh?

Go figure.

Folkes was an exceptional player who played well above his weight. No disrespect there.

As a coach though, I would humbly suggest, he is not without his limitations.

By all means, get rid of Simmons (if he can be separated from Sheens at the hip) and put him in to starch up the defence.

But handing him the keys to guys like Farrah, Benji, Moltzen, Lawrence and co is IMO like getting your redneck cousin Cletus to park the monster truck and come manage your F1 team.

The players deserve better and so do you.

Just my thoughts.

Jase

You worried that he'll take over from Sheens aye? It's good that Folkes is with the Wests Tigers club. If we are travelling bad halfway through next season Folkes could take over the coaching position then so he could choose what players we sign and let go for 2011, and he would probably coach the Wests Tigers in 2011 and 2012 atleast. You can have your opinion about how the teams he coaches play 'boring' football but I have looked at his results. He has coached 11 seasons in the NRL and his team has made the finals 7 times. This includes 1 Premiership, 2 Grandfinals. That's not bad mate. He would also bring more quality frontrowers to the club which is something we have needed for years.

jasonl

Juniors
You worried that he'll take over from Sheens aye? It's good that Folkes is with the Wests Tigers club. If we are travelling bad halfway through next season Folkes could take over the coaching position then so he could choose what players we sign and let go for 2011, and he would probably coach the Wests Tigers in 2011 and 2012 atleast. You can have your opinion about how the teams he coaches play 'boring' football but I have looked at his results. He has coached 11 seasons in the NRL and his team has made the finals 7 times. This includes 1 Premiership, 2 Grandfinals. That's not bad mate. He would also bring more quality frontrowers to the club which is something we have needed for years.

OK - a couple of things to consider here:

Firstly, yes, if there was any possibility of Folkes taking over I would be worried.

Period.

As to his coaching record, so what? Chris Anderson had a great record also and yet came to Easts well after his prime, coaching the same old geniused up and in defence with no idea of the modern game. Another case of a broken old man forced to leave in humiliation mid season. The team wasn't the problem - Fittler walked in without a clue and all of a sudden they started playing football again.

If you're going to use that argument we might as well exhume Jack Gibson.

Secondly, you're seriously suggesting that Folkes would attract quality players to the club?

Apart from El Masri and Patten, every marque Bulldogs player walked out on him - most in a highly public fashion. In the end he went off to try his luck with West Indies cricket and even they turfed him.

Finally (and this is the guts of it), no one wants to see that type of football played anymore (if in doubt take a look at how well the Ricky Stuart coaching style is going these days).

There is a reason that Gould says that if it were up to him he would see the Tigers televised every Sunday afternoon of the season.

This is the most exciting, unpredicatable and interesting team in the NRL.

With a first class front rower, a proper half, a decent kicker and a touch of luck they could easily win the thing next year.

Folkes is not the answer mate ... he's not anyone's answer.

Peace.

Jase

macnaz

Staff member
he hasn't even signed up as a coach so relax

But surely that has to be the long term plan .. Why else would they fork out good money on a qualified coach just to actualy train and condition a side ? Particulary when i dont believe fitness has been the reason for failing year in and year out.

alien

Referee
But surely that has to be the long term plan .. Why else would they fork out good money on a qualified coach just to actualy train and condition a side ? Particulary when i dont believe fitness has been the reason for failing year in and year out.

Folkes joining the Wests Tigers was Sheens' choice. Folkes is a fitness expert and him and Sheens are pretty good mates. Even if Sheens does move on next year, I can think of alot worse people to take over than Folkes.

Latest posts