What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Steve Mascord has a rant

beave

Coach
Just seen him have a rant about not getting the access to players/coaches in the NRL on the Sunday Roast

You think that maybe the players and coaching staff are over the tabloid reporting on nothing off field incidents????

Interested to hear what other people think of his rant.

Last edited:

docbrown

Coach
I agree with the tabloid comments but the more press the better.

Journos with a long record of "attack" reporting should be identified and blacklisted though.

If they want access, then they should maintain a professional standard.

beave

Coach
agreed mate. But players getting shat on by reporters can only happen for so long before they wash their hands of certain media.

docbrown

Coach
agreed mate. But players getting shat on by reporters can only happen for so long before they wash their hands of certain media.

I can understand that but it's up to the NRL and Clubs to know who the bad apples are.

It's as simple as creating a list of reporter's names.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
With the hammering the game cops every time something slightly bad happens off-field it's no surprise that the media is kept at arms length. They bring it on themselves so they've got nothing to whinge about.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
At the end of the day players are going to take it one week at a time, and moving forward look after themselves and not the opposition.

More access to players = more cliches.

carlosthedwarf

First Grade
Just watching on delay now, isn't it Paul Kent not Mascord?

edit: nevermind just saw Mascord come on.

Last edited:

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
This is a follow-on from an article he wrote 2-3 weeks ago in RLW.

He has a point but as many here have said - too many clubs and the NRL itself are once-bitten, twice-shy when it comes to media - not really willing to be receptive to them given the track record of media in general over the last ten-or-so years.

nqcowboy87

Bench
i have no problem with the level its at now, the roast boys had a dig at mascord about his aperance saying hed be at the chisel concert next week, he should be one of the roadies as well

eozsmiles

Bench
The players don't talk to the media on the record very often now. So if the players, clubs, and fans are happy with the current level and standard of coverage then don't change a thing. Seems to me that not many are completely happy, least of all the clubs.

Of course, if the players want more money and more control over the message, and if the clubs want more sponsors and more control over the message then they just have to make themselves more available.

If the media really want more access then they'll make it part of the new deal. Problem solved and the players don't get a say. But the easiest way would be o get the club CEO's to take their head out of their ar$e, so quick to whinge about their problems and so slow to do anything about them. Do they know that the more often they put their players in front of the media the more popular they will become? Do they know that the more often they present to the media that they getmore control over what is pumped out? Do they know this all translates into crowds, ratings, memberships? and these turn into sponsors and $$$?
Obviously they don't. We see origin teams under media bans......seriously that is so dumb.

Notell

Juniors
Take a step back and think about it. What in the hell does any fan get out of a post-match interview? I know it is a cliche to say that players speak in cliches, but it does not make it any less true. I can only think of two post-match interviews in the last 30 years that have provided anything resembling interest. One was quite recent (Fifita and the rift in the Tigers) and one about 15 years ago where Sam Backo dropped the F-Bomb after a SOO match.

Note also that both incidents were accidental.

Mascord's frustration is not about being unable to hear what players have to say, nor concern for the fans not hearing what the players have to say. It is merely frustration that his editors have an extremly strict formula regarding match reports, which include in its time-honoured revered template that comments from a player involved must be included.