What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Steve O'Keefe - When will he get his shot at test cricket?

TheParraboy

Staff member
map_VictoriaTasmania.gif

Now if you tilt that pic once to the left, it looks like Invers (victoria) with a dunces hat on and a huge pie (tassie) about to splatter on his face :D

I'm sure the Indians are quaking in their boots to face Doherty. I was going through Shield stats and he didn't even show up on the bowling averages for this season, has he even taken a wicket?

aussies1st

Staff member
Ah f**k it wasn't a bad dream, I still see Doherty name in the 17 man squad over SOK ](*,)

oldmancraigy

Coach
I'm sure the Indians are quaking in their boots to face Doherty. I was going through Shield stats and he didn't even show up on the bowling averages for this season, has he even taken a wicket?

That is such an unreasonable comment. He's played 4 shield games and just got selected for Australia.

OF COURSE HE'S TAKEN A WICKET.

In fact he's taken 2.

TheParraboy

Staff member
http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia/content/story/623379.html

Steve O'Keefe has forfeited the captaincy of New South Wales in order to more vigorously pursue a place bowling left-arm spin for Australia.

Towards the end of his second summer leading the Blues whenever Michael Clarke is not available, O'Keefe volunteered to give up the job ahead of the state's final two Sheffield Shield matches, reckoning it would give him a greater chance of taking the wickets he needs to push for an international spot.

The Blues will instead by led by the batsman Ben Rohrer, who enjoyed success as interim captain last month when O'Keefe was briefly injured.

O'Keefe stated recently his disappointment at being passed over for a place in the Test squad to tour India, despite his possession of the most persuasive first-class bowling figures among all slow bowlers in the Sheffield Shield.

However apart from an eight-wicket match haul against Western Australia at Blacktown Oval recently, O'Keefe's bowling and batting returns have diminished during his time as captain, occasionally leaving selectors to ponder his best role in the NSW side.

O'Keefe's decision to abandon the captaincy also follows two years of largely barren results for NSW, and a raft of recent changes at the state association, which now has vacancies for the positions of chief executive and head coach plus a new chairman in John Warn.

Taking on the captaincy at the start of the 2011-12 season, O'Keefe was an unexpected choice to replace Simon Katich, who was keen to continue as state captain but was encouraged by the former CEO David Gilbert that the time was right for a change.

This left O'Keefe and the new coach Anthony Stuart as the inexperienced duo in charge, contributing partly to a poor summer. When results did not improve this season, Stuart was dismissed, and Gilbert and the chairman Harry Harinath have also now left.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
wont achieve anything

its not as though he cant get picked for Oz if he is the blues skipper

Earl

Coach
wont achieve anything

its not as though he cant get picked for Oz if he is the blues skipper

Sort of. While relinquishing the captaincy won't get him selected he will able to put all his focus towards his game.

Timbo

Staff member
Honestly, I think it's more to get his name out there and show he's willing to do 'whatever it takes' to get a baggy green.

Something has to give eventually. Watching Doherty and Maxwell get pongoed on a spinners deck yesterday means that this is the right time for him to make a bold move like this.

The important thing is the media are now starting to call bullshit on the whole thing, whereas they've been silent for the last 18 months. If he keeps his name in the media while the geniuss we've got in the squad keep getting smashed it may be enough to force old man Invers hand.

th

Or not.

aussies1st

Staff member
"Stephen O'Keefe has got a really good record. Xavier Doherty bowled outstandingly well for us in the one-day series. Michael Beer would have been here if he didn't get injured.
"That caused us to reshuffle a little bit. We picked Xavier over Stephen primarily because we thought Xavier was bowling exceptionally well, which he was in the one-day series at that particular time."​

http://starspoon.com/article/46061cea51529899b9b8699d504a39ae/0,1,3,2

Once again showing the silly things we pick players on.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
and SOK got 8 wickets in his last 4 day game but apparently ODI form means more to the fossil

fmd

Timbo

Staff member
I also love the fact that X was picked on ODI form after he was 12th man for the first 4 games against the Windies.

oldmancraigy

Coach
and SOK got 8 wickets in his last 4 day game but apparently ODI form means more to the fossil

fmd

No - the fossil takes 4 day form into account - remember he picked Agar to go over as a net bowler because Agar bowled well in that 4 day game (the same one O'Keefe got wickets in).

Why they bother trying to explain it is beyond me? They might as well just say "we think SOK is an annoying little turd" and be done with it.

undertaker

Coach
Honestly, I think it's more to get his name out there and show he's willing to do 'whatever it takes' to get a baggy green.

Something has to give eventually. Watching Doherty and Maxwell get pongoed on a spinners deck yesterday means that this is the right time for him to make a bold move like this.

The important thing is the media are now starting to call bullshit on the whole thing, whereas they've been silent for the last 18 months. If he keeps his name in the media while the geniuss we've got in the squad keep getting smashed it may be enough to force old man Invers hand.

th

Or not.

The reason Inverarity et al. won't pick O'Keefe now is very simple: ego and pride, my friend. Ego and pride.

They believe that if O'Keefe is selected, he will outperform Lyon/Maxwell/Doherty/Beer combined, which will then make the selectors look even more stupid as to why he wasn't picked 18 months ago when Lyon became the spinner in the side during the tour of Sri Lanka in our first test series post-Argus review. When you can't swallow your own ego and pride and willing to concede and face up to your mistakes, you will never learn anything.

The only glimmer of hope though is as you said: the media have now woken up (whereas most of the folk here at LeagueUnlimited had been speaking about this 18 months prior) and can see right through the adulterated B.S. Inverarity et al. have dished out. Sadly, knowing how a lot of people Inver's age are old-fashioned in thinking, I think he will refuse to budge and will eventually bow out in a similar manner to Hilditch to avoid any health problems he'll be likely to incur due to the media barrage he'll be copping soon. I predict he'll bow out after the Ashes tour or Ashes series next summer (whichever one we get hammered in first).

P.S. Now that I mentioned it, this Argus Review was a load of crap as well. What was the use in CA calling for it and holding it when the administration weren't going to even implement 50% of the suggestions? Also, funny how one of the main points mentioned in the review was the inordinate amount of T20 cricket our guys were playing!!!! And what does CA do instead? Create the Big Bash League - expanding the previous state franchise format from 20 to 35 games - and also barring Sheffield Shield from being played for nearly 2 months:lol: However, although Invers is a big part of the problem, the biggest part of the problem is the man at the top of CA. That guy must go if there's any chance of returning back to the glory days from 10+ years ago.

Last edited:
11/169 against SA for this current match. His first even 10 wicket match.

I doubt many spinners have had a 10 wicket match at domestic level in recent years.

Ludicrous he's never had at least one test. Especially given some of the nuffies pre Lyon that were thrown up.

112 wickets @ 25.5 s/r 60 eco 2.6

That's prior to this match.

How does that not even get one test match?!

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Why pick a guy like O'keefe when we can pick Beer, because Warnie once played a club game with him. Or Derpaty who averages double what SOK averages lol. Toney nailed it someone high doesn't like him.