What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Steve Rapira

Talanexor

Juniors
Based on his performance this year, I think we'll definitely try to keep him up in Townsville. Warriors already have a pretty good forward pack anyway - you need to sign up some decent halves, not backrowers.

But you can have Carl Webb.

Charlie124

First Grade
Based on his performance this year, I think we'll definitely try to keep him up in Townsville. Warriors already have a pretty good forward pack anyway - you need to sign up some decent halves, not backrowers.

But you can have Carl Webb.

Not if Carl plays as well as he did against the dragons, but sadly those performances are becoming further and further appart. I count 2 very good games in 9 rounds, the rest have been poop :(

Talanexor

Juniors
Not if Carl plays as well as he did against the dragons, but sadly those performances are becoming further and further appart. I count 2 very good games in 9 rounds, the rest have been poop :(

Agreed - when he's on song he's one of the most damaging forwards in the league. If he can play that well in even HALF the games he plays, I'd hang on to him. But we can only afford an inconsistent star when the rest of the forward pack are giving it 100% week in week out.

For mine, I'd rather keep Rapira for the next few years than pay overs for Webb. He's not the player he used to be.

Talanexor

Juniors
Like a giant sack of sh*t.

Seriously he's a 'depth' player. He's not up to first grade. I'm not sure why Henry picked him on the bench this week unless maybe Payne can't cope with playing 80 mins every week.

Would really prefer to see either Amos or Watts in the 14 tbh.

Shorty

Staff member
Rovelli is a back up half for when the Cows have injuries or JT is off for Rep duties.

ozbash

Referee
The nerves are mounting for Steve Rapira. Not only has Cowboys league coach Neil Henry not told him if he's playing against his old club the New Zealand Warriors on Sunday, the regular text messages from his elder brother Sam have dried up.
"I'm still waiting to hear whether I'm in the team or not, but if I am, I can't wait. It's going to be awesome," Rapira said.
"I haven't heard from him (Sam) yet. Usually by now he's given me a text but there's been nothing so far. We'll see what happens. I might get nothing."
Henry named Rapira on an extended bench, alongside fellow Junior Kiwi James Tamou, but will take both on the flight to Auckland tomorrow night for the National Rugby League (NRL) match before making a final call.
It only adds to the tension for Rapira, two years younger than his better-known brother who returns to Mount Smart Stadium after missing the Kiwis' test with a sternum injury.
"We've never played against each other so it'll be a good test. It's really weird, all through the grades we've always played together, he's been prop and I've been second row so it'll be a funny feeling."
The pair grew up in Waikato and played their junior league for the Hukanui club before both were signed by the Warriors.
But Steve, 20, eventually decided to move elsewhere for his NRL career to take off. Townsville, the home of league megastar Johnathan Thurston, came calling.
"The hardest thing was making that first decision to move, then once that was made I never really looked back," Rapira said.
"It's a lot harder being away from the family. Before they were just an hour drive away and now it's a couple of flights.
"Another reason I moved was, I didn't really want to live in Sam's shadow. I really want to make a name for myself."
That he's done, courtesy of some devastating performances for Cowboys feeder club Mackay Cutters which led their coach Shane Muspratt to dub him the "silent assassin".
He made his NRL debut against Gold Coast in round five and impressed with strong defensive performances and the occasional big hit which belied his 94kg frame.
Henry told Rapira to sharpen his attack, but gave him no indication of whether he'll play.
Making it harder was the fact he'd formed a close friendship with former Levin Knights second-rower Tamou, another new Cowboys recruit from the Sydney Roosters.
"I'd be pretty gutted if I did miss out. I'm definitely travelling back so that's a bonus, to see the family.

"He (Tamou) is an awesome player and he fully deserved his shot. To be honest he should be in the side this week with the way he's been playing.
"He's one of my best mates here so it is a bit hard when you're fighting for the same spot."
The resurgent Cowboys have named an unchanged squad from their narrow win over St George-Illawarra last weekend, when Thurston led them home with a dazzling three-try performance.
They sit 11th on the NRL ladder, one spot behind the Warriors.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/2412718/Rapira-Whats-up-bro