What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Steve Simpson retires - press conference at 8.45am

RABK

Referee
A quality player who always played the Newcastle way. Very sad to see him to go like this... His last game was a loss to he Tigers and to see his career end in injury is just terrible...

I wish you the best mate!

How many players remain from our last premiership winning side now? Just Maddog? Was he there in 2001?

Yes yosh, Maddog is now the last player from our premiership winning side. Though i'd say that's the average anyway - most premierships sides would have 1-2 players at most remaining in their side 9-10 years later. Broncos 2000 - lockyer, roosters 2002 Mini, Panthers 2003 Lewis, waterhouse.

I'd even argue Maddog shouldn't be included, considering he left us for some time and when he returned to us he basically retired to 8 games a year anyway.

Last edited:
Just watched the press conference on FSN. The boys (the entire squad by the looks) stood behind him in a show of solemn solidarity as he made his announcement. Tears were very close to the surface... and that was just from me! Might be another teary old boys day... I've had a few of those.

The quote that stood out was from Stoney. "Everything good about Rugby League is in Steve Simpson". Simple and yet right on the mark.

Adsy

Juniors
Sad to see another club legend retire like this.

Thanks for all the hard work and great memories, Simmo. Will go down as a Newcastle Knights great.

IanG

Coach
His knee wasn't healing quickly. Probably for the best. Not really a surprise though. He's done it all in footy so there wasn't much for for him to achieve. Won a Premiership, Played State Of Origin and played for Australia. Been a great servant to the club. Wonder if he'll be able to stay involved somehow?

Last edited:

Apey

Staff member
Just watched the press conference on FSN. The boys (the entire squad by the looks) stood behind him in a show of solemn solidarity as he made his announcement. Tears were very close to the surface... and that was just from me! Might be another teary old boys day... I've had a few of those.

The quote that stood out was from Stoney. "Everything good about Rugby League is in Steve Simpson". Simple and yet right on the mark.

anywhere I can see this online?

Alex28

Coach
Reports on Twitter that Robert Tew has suggested that Simmo will be offered a role within the club. Good to see.

macavity

Referee
yeah was on NBN news, and also talking sport this arvo. Probably some sponsor liaison type role on game days.

macavity

Referee
how about chief head girl?

as in they step out of line, don't put in, look at him funny, or he simply feels like it, he slaps them upside the head.

Rolla

Juniors
Mayb an assistant trainer, so he can still get game time out there barking orders at the defensive line. Only in a brighter tshirt

Pika

Bench
how about chief head girl?

as in they step out of line, don't put in, look at him funny, or he simply feels like it, he slaps them upside the head.

I have been hit up the side of the head by him.... hurts.

Latest posts