What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

steve turner fair trade ?

lotti

Bench
Smith, Isaacs, Rogers and about 50K for Turner I'd say it's fair. At least it's over and Steve gets to play where he wants to and in the end the game's the big winner since we no longer have Searle and Waldron battleing it out in the media anymore.

Ice777

Bench
douglasallen91 said:
smith will be a star. wrong choice here.

So what were we meant to do? He could only get a game at Origin time last year and with the backs we have i don't think there was any chance he would've got a game this year either unless we had a heap of injuries. That's taking nothing away from his talent, but there's only a certain amount of positions and the Storm are very lucky in that we have a wealth of talent already to cover those positions for at least the next few years. What was Smith supposed to do? Bide his time even longer in the hope we have a spate of injuries or wait until someone moves on where he may then get his chance?

At least this way the kid might get the opportunity to have a crack at first grade. If he stars well good on him, but it's not as if we haven't got plenty of proven stars in our backline already. Did i want to lose him? No, but for his sake and ours i'm not overly upset with the outcome. We kept a player who's only a year or 2 older than Smith who scored 18 tries last season and we know for a fact what he's capable of doing. Not what he hasn't done or what he may be capable of doing in the future.

MONY

Juniors
Couldnt be happier with the outcome. I'm just a little concerned about us being under the salary cap, We have a hard enough time fitting all our players under the cap without having to give away $100,000

Ice777

Bench
MONY said:
Couldnt be happier with the outcome. I'm just a little concerned about us being under the salary cap, We have a hard enough time fitting all our players under the cap without having to give away $100,000

That'll depend if it comes out of our cap money Mony. I'm not sure how it works but i can't see that it will as we had enough to offer Turner the contract without going over the cap. I think it'll just be a straight out payment without affecting the SC because i doubt very much we'd have been 100K under it considering who we have on our books.

sheet_ed

Juniors
I don't think Smith was highly rated by Bellamy - the only game he played he tried a Benji jump and step and found that only works with juniors.

He may be a good player - but to be fair I could see him asking for a release - there are too many better players in front of him and he does come from the Gold Coast.

Isaacs - don't know about him - if he was a forward I would be worried.

Mind you I will just be happy to see these CRAPPY STEVE TURNER threads stop.

Now we are here - I will put the jinx on him saying "What happens if he gets the same career threatening injury he got 2 years ago?" - Doh!

Rage

Juniors
I'm just glad the whole thing's over, it's been dragged well past it's used by date. Mind you, if it wasn't off season I don't think it would have been anywhere near as publicised as it has been.

I’m just wondering how the gold tits are feeling now that they’ve lost turner and carney and depending on the injury to rogers (I haven’t read about it as I don’t give a toss, so I don’t know how serious it is) but it looks like smith might get his shot at first grade a little quicker then they might have expected.

IMO, Storm definately got the better end of the deal.

The two juniors are unproven and may end up being nevilles, the financial compensation is very minimal, especially if News LTD gets involved, and Melbourne once again have themselves one of the most promising young wingers in the comp, whom has proven himself in the NRL.

TITAN1

Juniors
Sea Eagle Scuba said:
IMO, Storm definately got the better end of the deal.

The two juniors are unproven and may end up being nevilles, the financial compensation is very minimal, especially if News LTD gets involved, and Melbourne once again have themselves one of the most promising young wingers in the comp, whom has proven himself in the NRL.
Yes,good old news ltd,acting like the rich uncle..cant wait for a s.a or w.a team when the funds dry up in melbourne!:lol:

Stormerz

Juniors
Not the worst deal for either clubs.

Storm got Turner who isn't something tremendous while Titans got a couple of players who can be improved on who aren't so good now. I don't know how good Proctor is but Samau was horrendous against Manly.

lotti

Bench
it wasn't Proctor it was traded it was Daniel Isaacs and Proctor is apparently a rising star.

Ice777

Bench
Allangles said:
Turner's not even that good. And everybody knows the real reason why he changed his mind.

18 tries last season (equal 4th) in the NRL, yep he's a shocker :lol:

Can you please enlighten us as the what the real reason was as to why he changed his mind? It couldn't possibly be for extra money because he's not earning one cent extra playing for the Storm. Any extra income he would've been earing is going straight to the Titans. So that's obviously not the reason, can you please tell me what is genius?

Stormerz said:
Not the worst deal for either clubs.

Storm got Turner who isn't something tremendous while Titans got a couple of players who can be improved on who aren't so good now. I don't know how good Proctor is but Samau was horrendous against Manly.

I cannot understand how many fans see Turner as being overated...he was bloody consistent last year and will have a reat season this year as well...Samau is no great loss...too small.

This was a fair trade and the danger with Samau and Isaac is they may become players of high potential but never cut it in the NRL. At least Turner is a proven performer.;-)

Ice777

Bench
kia ora storm said:
This was a fair trade and the danger with Samau and Isaac is they may become players of high potential but never cut it in the NRL. At least Turner is a proven performer.;-)

Spot on. For every player who lives up to their potential and makes it in the NRL or any other sport for that matter, there's 10 that don't and end up staying in the lower grades or giving it away all together. We don't know which category Samau and Isaac fall into and i sincerely hope it's the former, but we just don't know right now and i think it was well worth the risk of keeping a proven first grader who's only 22 himself.

Allangles

Juniors
Ice777 said:
18 tries last season (equal 4th) in the NRL, yep he's a shocker :lol:

Can you please enlighten us as the what the real reason was as to why he changed his mind? It couldn't possibly be for extra money because he's not earning one cent extra playing for the Storm. Any extra income he would've been earing is going straight to the Titans. So that's obviously not the reason, can you please tell me what is genius?

He wasn't even in the starting team and wanted to go somewhere else to play in the starting side. So he agrees to go to the Titans.

Webster gets injured. Turner cements himself in the side then turns around and says he has changed his mind.

He's not a man of his word, and alot of his tries he barely had to do anything due to great work from hsi inside guys.

Ice777

Bench
Allangles said:
He wasn't even in the starting team and wanted to go somewhere else to play in the starting side. So he agrees to go to the Titans.

Webster gets injured. Turner cements himself in the side then turns around and says he has changed his mind.

He's not a man of his word, and alot of his tries he barely had to do anything due to great work from hsi inside guys.

Isn't that how most wingers get their tries? Due to great work from the inside guys? It's got to get out there somehow and who else is going to get it there besides the inside guys? Anyway you obviously don't watch many Storm games because if you did you'd know he makes many opportunities for himself.

Also from memory i could've sworn that Turner started pretty much every game he played and never came off the bench. If that's the case it blows your already weak argument right out of the water in regards to why he left :sarcasm: