What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Steven Masters to Bunnies?

BennyV

Referee
Very true O/T.

Masters has gone through our lower grades, played junior reps, including playing for NZ, has had 2 years in our DS and now he's gone.
Admittedly his defense is very ordinary, but so was Garrick and look at him now.
Meanwhile, we openly gloat about a players who havent played at NRL level for nearly 2000 days and they are brazenly referred to as "next cab".
Whether Masters was good enough for first grade, we may never know, but we never gave him cause to aspire to it.
We have 4 others (im leaving H. Lomax out) in our DS who will he looking at recent events and thinking of greener fields.
Ford, Blacker, Lovodua and Saab, what opportunity is there for them in 1st grade under McGregor?
I also think others such as Timm wont be here next year.
For mine ‘poor defense’ is amongst the most brain dead excuses for justifying the loss of a young player. These kids come through junior leagues in fast-paced, open games and spend years is part-time footy while they go on with the rest of their lives. They then come into NRL squads where they are subject to weekly video sessions, wrestling coaching, defensive patterns that can change on a game-by-game basis depending on the opposition. Are they expected to adapt to that overnight? That comes with training and maturity, it’s called development.

Our club seems to think that all it takes is time for a player to build for first grade. We have no ability to actually coach and develop players.

Reddragon

Bench
For mine ‘poor defense’ is amongst the most brain dead excuses for justifying the loss of a young player. These kids come through junior leagues in fast-paced, open games and spend years is part-time footy while they go on with the rest of their lives. They then come into NRL squads where they are subject to weekly video sessions, wrestling coaching, defensive patterns that can change on a game-by-game basis depending on the opposition. Are they expected to adapt to that overnight? That comes with training and maturity, it’s called development.

Our club seems to think that all it takes is time for a player to build for first grade. We have no ability to actually coach and develop players.
Good point.
But also comparing their defense to Aitken or Maranta?

George Dragon

Juniors
Very true O/T.

Masters has gone through our lower grades, played junior reps, including playing for NZ, has had 2 years in our DS and now he's gone.
Admittedly his defense is very ordinary, but so was Garrick and look at him now.
Meanwhile, we openly gloat about a players who havent played at NRL level for nearly 2000 days and they are brazenly referred to as "next cab".
Whether Masters was good enough for first grade, we may never know, but we never gave him cause to aspire to it.
We have 4 others (im leaving H. Lomax out) in our DS who will he looking at recent events and thinking of greener fields.
Ford, Blacker, Lovodua and Saab, what opportunity is there for them in 1st grade under McGregor?
I also think others such as Timm wont be here next year.
Timm definantly won't be at the club next year

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Heaven forbid if we move Aitken aside and blood some more young talent.....after all McGrexit is all ready giving Lomax a go.....cant rush these things now can we

Bench
Just another example of Millward’s recruitment. I bet he has someone lined up who hasn’t played first grade, 30 years old and recovering from a broken leg.
Just when you think we are on the look out for decent players our juniors know there is no road to first grade.
Our club is in a world of shit and I don’t see any improvement any time soon

SaintPauli

Juniors
Another one bites the dust then.

Can't say I blame him going for an opportunity he clearly wasn't getting from mary...
So let me get this right.
Masters is going to South Sydney chock full of talented backs to get an opportunity! Bahahaha.
Our recruitment and club are a joke.
Why dont our recruitment ever buy talented juniors in the market place.
Roarters just got a young gun from Ipswich. A future J.Thurston apparently. We only keep average juniors and let the good ones go.

So let me get this right.
Masters is going to South Sydney chock full of talented backs to get an opportunity! Bahahaha.
Our recruitment and club are a joke.
Why dont our recruitment ever buy talented juniors in the market place.
Roarters just got a young gun from Ipswich. A future J.Thurston apparently. We only keep average juniors and let the good ones go.
Do think they do it on purpose?
I sure looks that way sometimes doesn't it?

getsmarty

Immortal
Just another example of Millward’s recruitment. I bet he has someone lined up who hasn’t played first grade, 30 years old and recovering from a broken leg.
Just when you think we are on the look out for decent players our juniors know there is no road to first grade.
Our club is in a world of shit and I don’t see any improvement any time soon

With all due respect, Millward doesn't pick them for 1st grade....If McGregor never gives them a run, then it doesn't matter what millward says...McGregor is the one wanting the "Journeymen"....

RufusRex

Post Whore
With all due respect, Millward doesn't pick them for 1st grade....If McGregor never gives them a run, then it doesn't matter what millward says...McGregor is the one wanting the "Journeymen"....

Art Howe wanted Carlos Pena, Billy Beane wanted Hattenburg

Old Timer

Coach
Oh yes, I was very much saying precisely that.. Kudos to you on your comprehension tonight..

Far too often we get in a self perpetuating bubble in here and talk up particular players as the next big thing, all trying to show we’re smarter than the club..

So whilst it’s a shame to lose a junior (particularly an Illawarra junior as they’re the best ones) only time will tell if he is the next Damien Cook or the next Shannon Crook.
A few too many .. oh perfect one you really are slipping.
If they do turn out to be the real deal were people right in protesting that they left without us bothering to find out if they had the right credentials for NRL?

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
A few too many .. oh perfect one you really are slipping.
If they do turn out to be the real deal were people right in protesting that they left without us bothering to find out if they had the right credentials for NRL?
Of course.. Hindsight is 20/20 and it works for both missed opportunities and dodged bullets..

But the problem is on here it’s a case of the boy who cried wolf..

Nearly every lost junior is heralded as being the next big thing, with the associated whining when they leave..

But more often than not they turn out not to be..

Latest posts