What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

STH: Forum - Early July

bartman

Immortal
We'll have to disagree on some parts of this one
Fair enough.

I presume our new Boards are moving toward the pre-election goal of transferring the NRL franchise back to the FC, and my understanding is that this needs to be passed by AGMs of each club first, so Dec this year followed by Apr next year.

In the meantime, good luck to people in their attempts to alter the LC Supporters club... having been to a meeting this year (and now hearing that there is a three year qualifying period before eligible to vote in that club) I personally think it will be a long road before it changes at all.

And that people's energies might be better spent with people's contacts in the new board/s, planning for a new official supporters club to start up under the FC when the franchise moves. But it's just an opinion.

Suitman

Post Whore
(and now hearing that there is a three year qualifying period before eligible to vote in that club)

I find that extraordinary. For one, shouldn't they be encouraging participation, if they are "The Eels Suppoters Group" funded by the club?
Secondly, to have a three year qualifying period before eleigibility to vote just smacks of elitism.

I for one, hope that the new board sort this crap out.

The Sharks have a supporters group that are recognisable.
So do the Dragons, Roosters Bunnies and Bulldogs.
Hell, even the Panthers had a half decent one on Sunday, with an excellent bugular I might add. :lol:

It's time.

Suity

bartman

Immortal
Suit, I only learned of the constitution change to bring the SC in line with the other LC member clubs (darts, bowls etc) from what was posted here and on facebook in the words of current SC members.

Not sure its' confirmed, and I guess we'll have to take their word for it... perhaps it is getting confused with the 3 year rule for the LC, and doesn't actually apply within the sub-clubs again (but would in the case of a brand new LC member)? But I do know it was not the case in February this year. So this has either happened in the last days of the previous Board, or the first days of the new Board.

With that in mind I have low expectations of the new Board sorting that out, as it seems that it has just been sorted for consistency through the LC. In terms of encouraging participation they have recently had a spiel and contact phone number go up on the LC website (as posted by Fish somewhere), and have been plugging the away bus trips by email via Ross Smart, so they'd be ticking the boxes as far as their requirements as a group under the LC are concerned.

Basically, you can't start a new one supported under the LC while the old one is there, and there are rules in place about how membership and change have to occur in the existing one. The LC financial support isn't sizable as I understand it, and it's more about the official status being used in potentially broader ways.

I personally just think that the quickest and best option to get a broad open official Supporters club functioning in this way will come with the reconfiguration of "memberships" (which surely should be ready for start of season 2010) and the shift of the NRL franchise back to the FC (which should be mid-2011?) allowing the establishment under the FC of a big supporters club of the type people have been and are crying out for.

It's time, but alas to unearth the NRL operations and bring them back closer to the people/members (from where Dennis and Brian Smith et al had it buried) will take time too...

Last edited:

Captain BF

Juniors
and here is one reply from a fellow group member to that post in blue above:

Hey Hellsy, Thats my reply. I read the post from the person and felt that i had to reply. I can't cop that kind of elitist attitude to a club where they should be encouraging as many people to join as possible. I had never even heard of the Official Supporters Club untill recently. I had thought that the Blue & Gold Army was the official supporters club.

bartman

Immortal
I had thought that the Blue & Gold Army was the official supporters club.
And that's exactly what we need our club(s) - through the new Board(s) to change.

If we get real and get Memberships similar to those promoted through the league in other clubs, and sort out our different official Armies and memberships and ticketing etc as above, then in the future we don't have to worry about what has been a small sub-group set up within the leagues club structures.

The new Board(s) starting up a new official Supporters Club that is broad and open and does a lot (other than just B&G Army merchandising) will be exactly what the majority of fans out there look for from their club... Swapping the NRL licence to the FC will provide the perfect opportunity to start this off :thumn

EelGirl

Juniors
Gee grow up, I too had had the displeasure of sitting near some of these people at some games, and they are so perfect they treat people so well, why dont you all grow up and learn to support the club in harmony. Instead of thinking you earned a one way trip to parra heaven,

ok..good question.

the guy who's currently there but I don't know his name, I thought you might known who it is? he's apparently been our patron for many years.

Okay so, our Original Patron was Jack Argent, until his death, then when Billy Rayner left the board he was made patron until his death, from there the leagues club offered the Patrons role to Don Ritchie when he left the board last year, but no news on if Don took up the role.

I'm pretty sure there was someone else other than don but I don't know who it was but than again it may well be Don and Ovo..

Just wanted to ask a question on this if I could for those that were at the event.

Who spoke about Ovo being given the role as Patron?

Currently as it sits, in speaking with Ovo he has not been officially given such a position, and has heard from some of the current board stating that they would block such a push. Personally I believe that would be the worst thing the new board could do. Bringing Ovo in as a Patron, showing his years of service are still valued to the club is an important step and could very well bring those that were opposed to the current board, although they are a minority according to the ballot box, back to the club in some way and not leave them feeling isolated and jaded to a point.

Stagger, I also noticed when I went to the supporters club meeting last Tuesday that Don Ritchie's photo hangs on the adjacent wall to the current board of directors photos behind the reception desk. Don is currently our Patron.

Hellsy

Immortal
I think it was Chidiac... but please don't quote me on that, hopefully someone else can confirm/correct

Latest posts