What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Still Proud

greeny12

Juniors
It was always going to come down to who would make the first error or who would give away the first penalty... We did. We were not good enough. Our forwards were completely dominated. We have the worst go forward. Therefore hornby and soward were terrible. Kicking game was hopeless!!!

I'm proud we got so close, but we were very lucky.

I fear for next year. Our pack is looking really soft. Don't mean to be negative but we have bought shite in the forwards.

I know your upset... we all are. But I don't think you watched the same game as everyone else mate. Our forward pack went great guns tonight. Cuthbo, Weyman, Merrin, Creagh, Scott, even when Green came on. f**k even Prior ran straight and hard tonight.

And to have a go at Soward and Hornby?? I don't get it?

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
I agree with BBC. Our forwards were dominated. If we had as much ball as them and field position we would have won easy. They played as well as they could but could not match the Broncos. Damn we missed players like Smith, Costigan and Saffy.

Great effort tonight, we played extremely well considering and never gave up.

PS Hodges is a low life scum who deserves an uppercut

Last edited:

Steelers

Juniors
Was at the game tonight. We could have been down by 30 at half time but defended like champions. Seeing Lockyer kick that field goal was the worst feeling ever.

nontime111

Juniors
Im SO proud of St.George Illawarra!
Even though a loss it was the BEST game Ive ever seen them play...with all the garbage decisions, away...the broken Mozzie leg...the Creagh limp...Boy they came back strong and in ANY era that Prior try would have counted...i Just hope the Indie commission reduce the pathetic amount of trivial rules and laws destroying the flow of the game...that try should have been enough...they won in my opinion... and the golden field goal is a pethetic way to end an epic like that also...

THANK YOU DRAGONS!!
You defended the premiership galantly and you made it all worthwhile supporting you each week...You were SO gutsy Made me PROUD TO BE A DRAGONS FAN!!...and should be proud in a heroic defeat...
Cant wait to do it all again next season!
Have a great chilled holiday you thoroughly deserve a good long break!
Back next year better and stronger than ever!
THANK YOU :))!!!

Dragoness

Juniors
With the amount of ball the Bronco's had in the first half they should have killed us, our defence was at it's best & I guess I'll be wondering if Morris was still on the field would the Bronco's have scored that second try... The Hornby knock on in goal was unlucky. Our defence was fantastic, Weyman, Morris, Cuthbo & even Boyd were outstanding (Matt Cooper was a bit quiet)... Oh well untill next year, should be interesting what we do with all the back rowers we now have..... Loving the Dragons :ls:

AceAv

Juniors
Yeah it was some great scrambling defense tonight. Haven't seen that since the start of the year.

I always knew Corey Parker and his crucial missed conversions + Copleys bombed try gave you guys the drive to come home strong and you nearly did.

As much as I hate the Dragons, I was really impressed by this game. Definately what finals footy is all about.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Underdogs and written off, and at half time we were behind on every stat. If the result went the other way, it would be the stuff of legend.

There were a lot of heroic efforts out there last night. The boys didn't let anyone down and we didn't die wondering. They dug deep found something special. Pride in the jersey and plenty to be proud about in their second half performance.

The fightback was trememndous to watch. 12-all at full time and a lottery in extra time. Credit to Brisbane's defene for setting up the field goal but it was anyone's game.

Special mention to Cuthbo. He lifted the whole team with his runs. The try he and Weyman engineered was scored through shear guts and determination.

j0nesy

Bench
The lads really stood up last night. Ive got to admit I didnt expect us to play like that, and I was just as surprised with Brisbane - they stood up to the test.

Im going to stick up for a bloke who has been much maligned in here of late - Matt Prior. I thought he and Cuthbertson went well.

Bring back choc

Juniors
I know your upset... we all are. But I don't think you watched the same game as everyone else mate. Our forward pack went great guns tonight. Cuthbo, Weyman, Merrin, Creagh, Scott, even when Green came on. f**k even Prior ran straight and hard tonight.

And to have a go at Soward and Hornby?? I don't get it?

We did not get out of our half!! Weyman played well, but our forwards on the whole really struggle to get any roll on. There's a lot of factors to this, including the lack of quality dummy half. But we really don't dare anyone.

As a result incredibly poor tonight. Rarely found but soward was always kicking from inside our half. Always on the back foot.

If it wasn't for our steely defence, it would have been 20-0 at half time.
They were much stronger.

Merrin is very young and will learn. But dan hunt needs a lot more mongrel. There's just no fear at all.

ghostface

Juniors
Im disappointed. But some of the things that happened in that game were amazing, Brett Morris playing on with a broken leg & Lockyer kicking a winning field goal with a suspected fractured cheek bone..Stuff of legend.

The team played with plenty of guts and bravado. This is the type of footy we've come to love from the dragons and despite my disappointment in the result im incredibly proud of the effort. As premiers we went out fighting till the very end.

Bring back choc

Juniors
whats the go there anyways?? is cuthbo staying or going?? i thought i heard ages ago that he was leaving?>? i hope not.

He's gone. Nothing official, but it's common knowledge around the club that he's moving on.
He'll be in Newcastle.

Can't help but think Bennett should have played him 2 weeks earlier.

Minh

First Grade
If he's not signed up we better sign Cuthbo up on that performance the standout forward alongside Dean young.

Mr Red

First Grade
a few observations from the game:

1. Darius boyd back to his best - although he could have given soward and easier shot at goal, he had a chance to run it closer to the posts... great pressure kick from Soward.

2. Morris great courage to play on and take a pressure catch under the high ball despite a fractured leg.. Hodges a cowardly act, if that wasnt enough to fire up our forwards i dont know what will.. we need a few mongrels in the pack next season...

3. that game once and for all proved we need a halfback for next season.. Hornby has been a champion over the years but his time is up.. use the money we have free from losing gasnier and boyd to buy a halfback.. Hornby's kicking game was awful, his defence was bad and when he needed to steer the team he went missing in action.

4. 99.9% of the forum members here have been saying for weeks that we need to get rid of Fein, have Young and Rein as the hooker rotation and bring in Cuthbertson on the bench.. FINALLY this happened and it seemed to work nicely..

5. Dan Hunt complete waste of space... yet again dominated by his opposite forwards..

6. Although i have been a Prior basher this season, i think he had one of his better games last night, actually ran with some purpose and did some good cleanup work in defence.. pity this type of game from Prior is one in every 10, he needs to do this each week.

7. Beau Scott awesome match, Ben Creagh needed to do more in attack but was solid in defense.

8. why kick with 1 tackle still to run the ball in extra time? that extra 10 meters we could have gained could have put the field goal attempt out of reach... once again this is where your halfback needs to take control in the set of six, Hornby simply cant do this...

Ulysseus

Bench
Awesome effort.
As long as you don't leave the arena with anything in the tank, and I remember seeing a doco on Wayne Gretzky in which he commented how they could not compete with a certain team so he went to look into their dressing sheds after the game and all of them had nothing in the tank hence the difference, well last night I doubt either team had any petrol left in the tank after that game.
I think that's all you can ask for, win, lose or draw, that the players you make an emotional investment in don't die wondering.
A lot of people will have an opinion on last night, a lot will criticise Saints for losing, well, I didn't see them there last night and I don't recall seeing their teams either, you could go so far to say that if any other team had played either of those teams out their last night - provided the mind set remained the same - they would have got their arse handed to them.
I've already given it to one supporter about how Saints were at least in a position to challenge their credentials and they at least done that, not many other teams would have sustained that early onslaught and drawn level.
The Broncos were desperately unlucky not to have racked up a bigger score early on as much as Saints were unlucky not to have pulled it out of the fire in the end.

Just as Kennedy had an influence on Manly even after he was gone, I look forward to the fact that the influence Bennett has had on the organisation and the team will ensure we are continually in a position to challenge for the title again and again for many more years to come.
We will not always succeed, but provided the best foot is always put forward and everyone is doing all they can, you cannot ask for much more.

nrlnrl

First Grade
We did not get out of our half!! Weyman played well, but our forwards on the whole really struggle to get any roll on. There's a lot of factors to this, including the lack of quality dummy half. But we really don't dare anyone.

As a result incredibly poor tonight. Rarely found but soward was always kicking from inside our half. Always on the back foot.

If it wasn't for our steely defence, it would have been 20-0 at half time.
They were much stronger.

Merrin is very young and will learn. But dan hunt needs a lot more mongrel. There's just no fear at all.

It reminded me of SOO1, with forwards not challenging their defence enough.

Last night it seemed to be only Weyman & Young who ran hard consistently, but the amount of work required in defence contributed to this. When Cuthbertson came on, he added that impact we have been missing - even though he coughed up one error, he was dangerous whenever he had the ball.

With the scenario that he's leaving next year, who are candidates to be the impact forward ? Ideally we'd have a tearaway young backrower who goes hard in attack & defence - like Tariq Sims. If only we could've kept him.....

effort was outstanding.
execution...wasnt even that bad. you had very limited opportunities to attack them and scored twice.

had you scored when boyd threw the cutout over the line after you had the dropout (about 60 minutes in?)
you could have gone on and won in normal time.

anyway, shit way to go out on a field goal to a guy with a broken face.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Well done Dragons. Everyone put in a huge effort against the Broncos. Game could of gone either way in the end. With the amount of possession the Bronco's had in the 1st half they should have been up by at least 20. Credit to the defence.

Bring on next year.

Latest posts