What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Still worried about the go forward

Stagger eel

Staff member
eel01s said:
How did Fa'aoso go in PL? He might need to be included in the 17 for a bit more go forward.

accoring to Kornster he's ball handling still let him down.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
I think there are other forwards in Premier League that could come in, we don't only have Fa'aoso. Paolo is a great example based on his games against Canberra and Wests.

COACH STERLING

Juniors
I think people should start looking more at Parra's defence rather than attack. Sure there's plenty of room for improvement with the go forward, but that will come with time. Parra's defence over the last couple of weeks has been superb!

sooperdooper

First Grade
COACH STERLING said:
I think people should start looking more at Parra's defence rather than attack. Sure there's plenty of room for improvement with the go forward, but that will come with time. Parra's defence over the last couple of weeks has been superb!
defence superb? i think its pretty shocking... how many metres are teams making how often are there half breaks but something amazing from an idividual saves us...

The Engineers Room

First Grade
COACH STERLING said:

I agree. Early in the Souths game they were great but it's the old scenario of we didn't score so the heads went down and they got all the confidence.

Stagger eel

Staff member
yeah, I wouldn't use the word superb when talking about our defense, there's still a hell of alot of improvement left defensively.

T-BONE MCGRAW

Juniors
I am not sure of the stats but it appears to me that we are carrying Cannings a bit. However as someone mentioned earlier, hopefully he will be better if he goes back to the bench for Moimoi to start when he can come on against tiring defences. I normally would not question NRL players as I have great respect for what they do but he just seems a bit soft for a bloke his size IMO. He need to take whatever Fuifui is on

Stagger eel

Staff member
I don't think Az has played as many consecutive games as he's done this year, he's bound to get better with every run.

COACH STERLING

Juniors
sooperdooper you are a hard man to please. Conceding fu*k all points at an average of 2 tries a game against our last 3 oponents is pretty good going if you ask me. I used the term superb because it was a mojor improvement on the first 2 rounds. perhaps I used the phrase loosely, however, I think we should be very happy with the effort.

The pleasing aspect is that we can all see that there is room for improvement. Very Pleasing!

oldmancraigy

Coach
I'm not sure if this has been said (since I haven't read the thread), but the meters for Fridays game were:

Cayless 13 hitups 153 meters
Cannings 5 hitups for 56 meters
Cordoba 10 hitups for 80 meters
Moi Moi 164 meters (it won't tell me how many hitups he did, but less than 10 as he's not in the 'top 3 hitups men')

I got the impression that Cannings didn't get a lot of game time --> was fairly sure that Ian Hindmarsh was playing prop in the last 20 minutes.

Not bad go forward from Cannings, but seriously --> 5 hitups?

To be honest I'd rather have Richie Fa'aso in there - he's a bit sterner in defence too!

But on the whole subject of 'go-forwad', we gained 1436 meters for the match, Penrith 1287. And the tackle count was reasonably close (302 to 282).

eels_fan_01

Bench
If it was round 25 right now, i would probably be worried to but when you look at it in relation to all NRL teams the Eels are competiting right now and i dont think you need to be worried yet. Most teams including the Eels havent hit their straps yet but i think we will because we are showing very good signs at the moment.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I think our defense has been ok, but our scrambling defense has been great. Great example was Hindy and Hayne's try saving effort on Lewis.

yy_cheng said:
I'm with Holics UTE. Our marker defending sucks. We don't even go after the kicker on the 5th.

UTE, we use to have very good marker defense because the best marker defender, iHindy, was always there. He used to make 2-3 tackles in a row from marker defense.

Now that Hindy is defending out wide, our marker defense has dropped off. Mainly because, Hindy used to HOG that position and the other guys never really did that stuff coz Hindy did it.

Even with Smithy at the helm our marker defence was never that great. I used to rail into us during games because of the lack of intensity around the play the ball. We pioneered the arms pointing to let others know of the direction we would take but that's where it stopped.

BTW....did anyone watch the Bulldogs/Eagles game Saturday night? That was one hell of a fierce battle in the forwards. I am glad we will be playing these teams over the next few weeks (plus the Titans). That should be some steeling up for us to carry us onwards and upwards into the rounds after.

Pazza

First Grade
T-BONE MCGRAW said:
I am not sure of the stats but it appears to me that we are carrying Cannings a bit. However as someone mentioned earlier, hopefully he will be better if he goes back to the bench for Moimoi to start when he can come on against tiring defences. I normally would not question NRL players as I have great respect for what they do but he just seems a bit soft for a bloke his size IMO. He need to take whatever Fuifui is on

the thing about cannings is he seems to do everything in slow motion. Can Cannings even sprint????? im willing to stick by him but if we start losing games by poor D then i'd be moving Ian to prop

Latest posts