What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Still worried about the go forward

eloquentEEL

First Grade
Eelementary said:
I think it's also worth noting - Mateo had possibly his worst match for us thus far, and he still looked good. But he didn't make as many metres as he normally does. He had an offish sort of match.

can't agree with that. he had a bit less involvement, but still made over 70m. was more controlled and selective with the offload. didn't make mistakes. didn't give away penalties. didn't miss any tackles. set up Benny's line break. even got Hadley's MOTM apparently (doesn't really say much though). all in all, i think he's maturing well and had a good game tonight.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I'm not saying he played badly; what I am saying is, compared to previous matches, this was probably his least good one. He still played bloody well. Although he notably didn't seem to make as many metres per hit-up as he did previously.

I was just noting that maybe he had an offish night running the ball, and that he can do better.

eloquentEEL

First Grade
Eelementary said:
I'm not saying he played badly; what I am saying is, compared to previous matches, this was probably his least good one. He still played bloody well. Although he notably didn't seem to make as many metres per hit-up as he did previously.

I was just noting that maybe he had an offish night running the ball, and that he can do better.

his stats on nrl.com are 4 runs for 74 metres

Eelementary

Post Whore
I stand corrected.

It's just that he didn't seem to make half-breaks as much as in his other matches. And he didn't seem, to me at least, to make such a visible impact as he did in his previous outings. But he didn't play poorly - I wasn't hinting that at all.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Also, with the whole "Bulldogs will maul us" parade...Didn't Penrith beat Canterbury? You know what? I believe they did...And didn't we beat Penrith? Holy crap...We did!

Angry_eel

First Grade
Eelementary said:
Also, with the whole "Bulldogs will maul us" parade...Didn't Penrith beat Canterbury? You know what? I believe they did...And didn't we beat Penrith? Holy crap...We did!
i hope we beat them too but they have the stronger go forward department u know what i mean.

lucablight

First Grade
Eelementary said:

Haha you should know logic doesn't apply in rugby league.

Prodigal Eel

Juniors
Im not so worried about our go foward, but more bout theres......it seem they make meters easily where we struggle....something needs to be done bout tht, otherwise the bigger teams will destroy us

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Prodigal Eel said:
Im not so worried about our go foward, but more bout theres......it seem they make meters easily where we struggle....something needs to be done bout tht, otherwise the bigger teams will destroy us
Thats we're i'm more worried, at times last night we weren't moving up quick enough. It was like we we're waiting for the defense to get to us. We need to fix that up against the dogs.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Eelementary said:
Don't panic yet.

This match was Grothe and Tahu's second and first matches back from injury. Once they regain full confidence and fitness, we'll be better served.

And once Fui gets his match fitness back, he may be starting alongside Cayless, and have Cordoba and Cannings come off the bench. Cannings running at tired defenses could really be a good move.

Yes, we have improvements to make. But you have to say - our defense, apart from a few lapses, was very, very good. Case in point - Hayne and Hindmarsh's amazing try-saving effort on Luke Lewis, as well as a few times when a Panthers player looked all money to score and we held them back.

We're improving every week, and I'm loving every minute of it.

I agree, however I thought Caylo's go forward was good

we are never going to put the perfect game together each week, there will also be blemishes, but we are winning and I'm sure we are getting better each week

Fui needs to get a bit of match fitness and he is our main go forward man

Eelementary

Post Whore
I agree, Twizz.

I mean, I got very excited late in ther second half when the TV screen showed Cayless and Moimoi warming up to come back on the field. Lo and behold, a few minutes later, they're back on the field and our defence and attack tightened up.

As Moimoi gets more match fitness, we'll get better and better.

eelaholic

First Grade
I'd like to see our markers attempting to make a tackle rather than retreating back to the defensive line like we seem to do all the time.

It would make a dramatic difference in terms of field position

Utey

Coach
I think our gameplan was perfect against the big Panthers back. Kudos to Hages, it was brilliant the way he put Fui in at the perfect time and ultimately changed the game in our favour.

Iam no where near as worried as I was one or two weeks ago. We'll get better as our players become more game fit.

Utey

Coach
eelaholic said:
I'd like to see our markers attempting to make a tackle rather than retreating back to the defensive line like we seem to do all the time.

It would make a dramatic difference in terms of field position

Just in regards to that, I think our marker defence is tops. Its probably one thing we have consistantly been good at. It's difficult to make takcles out of marker when the pace is way to quick. Thats why it never hurts for PJ or someone agile to stay in marker instead of two tired props.

eloquentEEL

First Grade
Eelementary said:
I got very excited late in ther second half when the TV screen showed Cayless and Moimoi warming up to come back on the field.

me too! knew there was no way that Penrith was making a comeback with Cayless and Moimoi being thrown in to finish the match.

eelaholic

First Grade
<UPtheEELS> said:
Just in regards to that, I think our marker defence is tops. Its probably one thing we have consistantly been good at. It's difficult to make takcles out of marker when the pace is way to quick. Thats why it never hurts for PJ or someone agile to stay in marker instead of two tired props.

I think you'll find parra is pretty much the only club where the markers retreat, whereas most clubs markers will drift and make the tackle or at least cover in defence rather than automatically drop back slowly to the line and often create a gap behind the ruck straight up the guts for the opposition to run through. Its not a hard pattern to pick and we are notorious for it!

I've done my homework on this one, and I'd put my house on it I'm that sure

yy_cheng

Coach
I'm with Holics UTE. Our marker defending sucks. We don't even go after the kicker on the 5th.

UTE, we use to have very good marker defense because the best marker defender, iHindy, was always there. He used to make 2-3 tackles in a row from marker defense.

Now that Hindy is defending out wide, our marker defense has dropped off. Mainly because, Hindy used to HOG that position and the other guys never really did that stuff coz Hindy did it.

eel01s

Bench
I agree that our defence needs to move up to meet the attackers a bit more. We can't afford to give sides an easy 60m every set, when we struggle to make 30m.

Having said that, we are improving every week, and at this stage of the year you can't ask for more than that.

How did Fa'aoso go in PL? He might need to be included in the 17 for a bit more go forward.