What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stone wants players to put rep snubs out of mind

Serc

First Grade
Stone wants players to put rep snubs out of mind
04 May, 2010 04:00 AM

KNIGHTS coach Rick Stone does not want any lingering disappointment at missing representative selection to blur the focus of his players on the job of beating in-form Gold Coast at EnergyAustralia Stadium on Sunday.
Australian bench utility Kurt Gidley and New Zealand pair Junior Sa'u and Zeb Taia will fly the club flag in the Trans-Tasman Test at Melbourne's AAMI Park on Friday, but Knights players were overlooked for the City-Country game at Port Macquarie the same night.
Winger Aku Uate would have been selected for Country but he was ruled ineligible because he represented Fiji in the Pacific Cup last October.
Playmaker Jarrod Mullen and forwards Cory Paterson and Ben Cross were considered Newcastle's next best chances of wearing Country's maroon-and-gold colours against the City slickers.
"I don't know if they'll be using that [as motivation]. They'd probably be disappointed, but I think most of our blokes are focused on us and our team, at this point in time, and it probably needs to be," Stone said.
"Because of the nature of our season so far, the last thing we need is blokes thinking outside the square for whatever reason and not totally focused on where we're heading.
"I'm pretty confident those three will be disappointed to miss selection but definitely be up for doing a good job for the Knights on Sunday."
Stone believed their omission reflected Newcastle's erratic form in the first eight rounds. The Knights followed a first-up win with four straight losses and have since won two of their past three to be 11th and one of four teams on six points.
"I can see where the selectors are coming from," Stone said.
"I thought Pato and Mullo in particular had big games on Friday night. Pato played 80 minutes and I thought he played really tough. He got whacked a few times, got up, and kept running the sort of lines you want your back-rowers to run."
The Titans, who have beaten Melbourne, Manly and Penrith in the past month, have five-eighth Greg Bird, back-rowers Anthony Laffranchi and Mark Minichiello, and coach John Cartwright involved in the City-Country game.
Paterson (knee) and winger Cooper Vuna (ankle) will be on light duties this week after sustaining minor injuries in Newcastle's 30-22 victory over Brisbane last Friday. Stone said pack leader Steve Simpson would probably return against the Titans after missing the Brisbane game with a recurrence of a collarbone injury, but Adam MacDougall (thumb), Wes Naiqama (back) and James McManus (foot) were unlikely to play again until next month.

http://www.theherald.com.au/news/lo...ers-to-put-rep-snubs-out-of-mind/1819485.aspx

Next month? That is a while off!

If the players are disappointed about not getting selected then they are deadset delusional beyond reason. None of them deserve the nod at present with the outside possibility of Pato or Cross.

Maddogs injury is a bit of a laugh, was due back possibly last week now its possibly another 4 weeks, if this is the case it must be a busy time for selling treadmills!

Chief

Juniors
I'm more worried about Super Coach Stone. How is he going to handle not being picked to coach Australia. Very very concerned.

aqua_duck

Coach
Will James Mac ever play another game???
Its Luke MacDougall all over again.
Oh and i love Simmo as much as anybody but he needs to move on, we can't afford to pay big $ for a bloke who misses as much football as nhe consistently does

Yosh

Coach
Mullen is terrible... Who'd want him to play for your rep team?

I used to think he was 'The Next Fittler' but he is but a poor man's Anasta if you ask me. Yes I'm as fickle as they come!

aqua_duck

Coach
Mullen is terrible... Who'd want him to play for your rep team?

I used to think he was 'The Next Fittler' but he is but a poor man's Anasta if you ask me. Yes I'm as fickle as they come!
I really think he needs a good halves partner. Mullen would be a perfect foil for someone like Cooper Cronk but having Rogers and Dureau alongside him puts alot of pressure on him especially Rogers because it means Mullen has to try to it all himself

If we are serious about being contenders then off the top of my head Simpson, Maddog, Dureau, Naiqama and Rogers will all be asked to move on.

whistler

Juniors
If we are serious about being contenders then off the top of my head Simpson, Maddog, Dureau, Naiqama and Rogers will all be asked to move on.

x2. I can only see this happening if we make a couple of cracking signings. If we can't entice some quality players here, i'm worried the club will panic and see no other option but to keep these guys.

Stranger

Coach
Oh and i love Simmo as much as anybody but he needs to move on, we can't afford to pay big $ for a bloke who misses as much football as nhe consistently does

I said that a few weeks ago.

Remind me... why did we sign Doogs for this year?

Maddog plays when he wants to play simple as that. The Mrs and I joke every week if his playing that the weather must be nice, or if its cold that it must have been because a cold westerly breeze was due.... Always quite amusing.

Anything less then 2 star signings and 2-3 extra solid first graders and our management is a complete failure......

Stranger

Coach
Because he was just about our best outside back last year

And when you consider the value for money? What is the point of having Doogs on the books?

Same with Simmo. Now im not saying they are bad players or they can't handle NRL at the moment, but is the value there? They have served knights well, but hey this is a business now.

Johns Magic

Referee
MacDougall played plenty of games last year and is on peanuts. I'd rather we have held onto him than signed someone like Geoff Daniella, Mitch Brown or Taulima Tautai

Yosh

Coach
Yeah definately some cracking signings!!!

I haven't watch the whole game yet but one of Mullen's kicks that was for Vuna (little ship over the top) went out by a mile with no pressure on him... That's just embarressing...

Serc

First Grade

Of our last 20 games, Simmo has played 15.

perverse

Referee
$200k-ish a year for simmo and a move to the front row is what is in order. that would be the best for the team... and fair as far as salary goes imo.

Latest posts