What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Storm salary repercussions

screeder

Juniors
Arguably our biggest rival and nemesis caught cheating the cap at great length. I say it might give us a play at Tolman. Any other possible repercussions?

Last edited:

cornerposter

Juniors
I hope the Storm boys stick together and come out fighting. The last thing I'd want to see is the rest of the comp picking off the talent and leaving the club to die.

Couldn't believe the news when I heard it, very sad :(

renouf

Juniors
I want our f**king spot in the 2009 grand final back

I want our spot in the 2008 preliminary final back

Dazzat

First Grade
$1.7 m over five years ... basically equals one decent player a year @ $300,000.

At first I was disappointed that they are basically dead ducks for 2010 ... but really the NRL had no choice. If they docked them 12 points, they could still win the premiership. And that would not be good.

From the Broncos point of view, I feel confident that we are OK when it comes to the salary cap - considering the number of players we've lost over the last four years.

Tolman would be good ... Adam Blair would be better.

Broncos93

Juniors
I'm so glad that we beat them in the 06 grand final. If we had lost that night and I had heard the news today I think I would have gone beserk. I don't care for the Storm, I don't feel one bit of sympathy. If their CEO had the hyde to cheat and disrespect the code like that, and pull a lie over the whole country then the club deserves to rot. I feel for the fans, they've been betrayed by a club they've given so much support to. They, like the players, should move to other clubs.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
I want our f**king spot in the 2009 grand final back

I want our spot in the 2008 preliminary final back

Did we deserve the premiership either of those years?

The 2008 loss we have only ourselves to blame. The Broncos had it in the bag.

The worst thing is for the fans. Even if you win the game, its for nothing.

bron_cos

Juniors
OMG the first thing sceeder said was that we have a good play at Tolman. Let the news sink in before all the other clubs come and get all there good players and stuffing up the storm even more. The players have done nothing wrong but yet all the people are coming out and asking who was involved it was the management who has done this. I feel sorry for players, fans, other clubs and the game. It is a sad day for our sweet game.

Tyler.Durden

Juniors
I still think there should be a salary cap dispensation for players with 150+ caps for a single club. Clubs should be able to retain talent which they nurture.

It's a shame they systematically cheated so deviously. Though they have lost their fair share of talent over the years.

bron_cos

Juniors
we dont deserve to get them games back as the sea eagles and parra dont deserve to have the titles they didnt WIN we beat the storm in 06 and we deserved that they were cheating then and they are still up till now.

Broncos fan!

Juniors
I hope the Storm boys stick together and come out fighting. The last thing I'd want to see is the rest of the comp picking off the talent and leaving the club to die.

Couldn't believe the news when I heard it, very sad :(

They are going to have to let a huge amount of players go to get under the cap though won't they?

Tyler.Durden

Juniors
They are going to have to let a huge amount of players go to get under the cap though won't they?
1.6m over 5 years

about $320000, about 1 topline talent will have to go.

Realistically that was probably 64k in the back pocket of their 5 best players for the last 5 years. It's not exactly a 400k house. It's easy to try and justify it. But it's outside the rules and it has to be punished and accepted.

I still believe it shouldn't be so difficult to retain your own talent.

Ghoulies

Bench
I still think there should be a salary cap dispensation for players with 150+ caps for a single club. Clubs should be able to retain talent which they nurture.

It's a shame they systematically cheated so deviously. Though they have lost their fair share of talent over the years.
Eh? They cheated. The amount of talent they lost over the years was anything but fair.

bfoord

Juniors
1.6m over 5 years

about $320000, about 1 topline talent will have to go.

Realistically that was probably 64k in the back pocket of their 5 best players for the last 5 years. It's not exactly a 400k house. It's easy to try and justify it. But it's outside the rules and it has to be punished and accepted.

I still believe it shouldn't be so difficult to retain your own talent.

it was also stated that the Storm are 700k over for the 2010 season

screeder

Juniors
It's easy to say let the news sink in and don't swoop on their players but f*ck it the reality of the situation is that they will have to shed some talent and you can bet the player agents will be working overtime to get it sorted out. Clubs with money to spend and rosters to fill would be stupid to sit on their heels waiting for the dust to settle. bfoord says they are currently $700 000 over, sh*t thats massive and they are going to lose players. It also means their salary cap rorting has actually snowballed over the years to become very significant and we've got to assume this would have continued until they got caught. This year $700 000 next year 1 Mil.

whykickamoocow

Juniors
I'm all for going after some of there players but lets make sure they had nothing to do with it first which i find hard to believe that they didn't. Surely to cheat the cap and line the pockets of players that part of their income wouldn't be decalerd to the ATO, wouldn't that be one of the first thing auditors would be looking at is a players declared income when auditing a club for the cap.

whykickamoocow

Juniors
and if the players a clean, bring Blair and Cronk, he'd be ideal as replacement for when Locky goes and if Folau decides to go in the next 8 days GI would be sweet as