What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Storm V Bronco's trial thread

Ice777

Bench
I'm getting in early as i'm really looking forward to having the footy back here even if it is only a trial and i can't wait to see it:crazy:

So who's going anyway? While i don't think the Broncs will field an overly strong side given the WCC which is understandable, i think Bellamy will put a pretty strong team on the park seeing he played mostly the young blokes on the weekend.

Personally i'd like to see an even mix of the older guys and the young ones so we can see how the young fella's go. Especially Israel, i like i'm sure many others have been waiting a long time to see him do his stuff ;-)

IMO Bellamy will look at starting his top squad. This game would be their last serious hit out before the start of the comp and combos will need to settled.

With Falou and Chambers both having strong pre-seasons the backline may have a surprise come game 1 ???.

;-)

Juniors
their will be alot of pride on the line, even though only a trial, im sure melbourne are seeing this as a chance for some payback, alot of them would still be hurting from that grand final loss and i wont be suprised to see bellamy play all his aces, and take it as seriously as a proper season match

Lowdown

Juniors
My prediction for the Storm line-up for the trial is:

1. Slater
2. Falou
3. Quinn
4. King
5. Turner
6. Inglis
7. Cronk

8. White
9. Smith
10. Kaufusi
11. Rua
12. Hoffman
13. Johnson

Bench
14. Aubusson
15. Aitken
16. Chambers
17. Foran
18. Geyer
19. Lima
20. Anderson
21. Tagataese
22. Donnelly
23. Crossman
24. J.Smith

Love to see a full-strength Broncos (or close to it) but I'd understand if Bennett chooses either to play his young guns instead or a mix. I'm more interested in seeing our guys run around to be honest.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Brisbane will probally play a mix of young and their top side. Expect our pack to be pretty much our top side. But I expect Lockyer and Hunt to be rested or at least only play 40 mins. Good luck Storm, have a good trial.

Lowdown

Juniors
lotti said:
probably. The club is viewing this as a Grand Final re-match.

It is a re-match of the grand final participants, yes. It's also there first meeting since the said event, yes. Are they viewing this as a grand final re-match? Hardly.

I'll still enjoy the contest...and if we beat the Broncos, I will feel just that little better about life in general...

lotti

Bench
yeah they are, in the flier they sent out with the membership letter it says Grand Final rematch.

Ice777

Bench
lotti said:
yeah they are, in the flier they sent out with the membership letter it says Grand Final rematch.

The marketing department may see it as a GF rematch but they'd be about the only ones i'm tipping, it's a trial and nothing more.

In other news Lockyer won't be playing and Hunt, Hodges and Tate are also likely to be missing but there's no real surprise there.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Berrigan is likely to be missing as well and Hodges is 50/50. So it looks like it will be a similar side to last weeks side against Canberra.

Lowdown

Juniors
As expected, Bellamy names his strongest side, possible:

Bellamy names strongest side
February 27, 2007 MELBOURNE coach Craig Bellamy has named his strongest possible side for the NRL trial against Brisbane at Princes Park, Melbourne, on Saturday.

Bellamy recalled all of his fit, experienced players after fielding a second-string side in the trial loss to Manly on the Sunshine Coast last weekend.

"It's our last game before the season proper begins and it's a dress rehearsal for what's ahead of us," Bellamy said.

"We've chosen a very strong side for the game, and there are a few spots still up for grabs so it should be a great game."

Australia centre Greg Inglis was named at five-eighth, while Storm's latest teen sensation, Israel Falou, was selected on the interchange bench.

AAP

Lowdown

Juniors
Differs slightly from my earlier prediction. Geyer keeps his starting Wing, and Falou onto the bench (this will be intriguing to watch in the early rounds...Israel's form is hard to ignore).

1. Slater
2. Geyer
3. Quinn
4. King
5. Turner
6. Inglis
7. Cronk

8. Kaufusi
9. Smith
10. White
11. Rua
12. Hoffman
13. Johnson

Bench
14. Cross
15. Lima
16. Crossman
17. J.Smith
18. Aubusson
19. Shortland
20. Tagataese
21. Falou

The unlucky guys are Will Chambers, Russell Aitken (!), Liam Foran, Scott Anderson. The lucky bolter is Shortland getting the nod over rising star Chambers.

I wonder why Russell Aitken has not got a look in...and great news to see Matt Rua come through and earn two starting spots from his first two games. He must certainly be holding his own, and has come a long way from what many people were saying when he was signed..that he'd lost it.

Ice777

Bench
Steel Dragon said:
Is matty rua gonna do much this year?

Judging by what his team mates have to say, pretty good i reckon ;-)

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,21304716-14823,00.html

Rua will be new Storm enforcer

MELBOURNE game-breaker Ryan Hoffman says back-row partner Matt Rua can fill the void left by David Kidwell's departure. And Matt Geyer, who played with Rua in Storm's 1999 premiership, yesterday said the former Kiwi international could reclaim his crown as the game's No. 1 hitman this season.

Rua's league resurrection continues on Saturday at Princes Park when he confronts a powerful Brisbane pack intent on extracting revenge for its humbling World Club Challenge 18-14 loss to St Helens in England last weekend.The 29-year-old has slapped a media ban on himself, but teammates said his game will do all the talking.

Rua rejoined Storm in October after leaving the club in 2002.Hoffman said Rua could restore the intimidation factor that was diminished by Kidwell's move to South Sydney. "We have a very young pack, but we've got a lot of experience there," Hoffman said. "Matty brings that experience as well, given he's won a grand final with Melbourne and played for his country. He can definitely fill that role left by David Kidwell."Storm hooker Cameron Smith said Rua's brutal defensive technique demanded respect from opponents.

"I've stayed well clear of him when we do tackling practice," he said."I just let him and Dallas (Johnson) try to see who hits hardest."Rua spent the last four years on a spiritual and cultural search after losing his passion for the game. Geyer said the break could extend Rua's career by several years."He hasn't played footy during that time and he's not going to be an average 30-year-old," Geyer, 31, said.

"He may well play to 33 or 34 and do it easily because through his late 20s he didn't play.
"He's been sitting on an island in the Cook Islands. We'd all love to do that."
Geyer said Rua was the game's hardest hitter before he quit. "For the amount of people he sat on their ass and the way people talk about him, and being bumped by him at training, back then he was the No. 1 hitman in the game," he said.

I am eager to see how Rua performs in this game...he tended to go missing in games he played in 99 and big hits do not make a player.

Aitken will get a crack at some stage - he needs to perform strongly to have any future are NRL level.:cool:

miccle

Bench
Good luck Storm fans - hope those of you attending have a great night.

Honestly, the teams running out for this one are absolutely awesome. I'm sure it'll be a top spectacle! May the best side win, despite the fact that it's a trial I'm sure there will still be plenty of feeling after last October!

Most importantly, I hope your boys (and the Broncs, of course) stay free from any serious injuries this evening so we can continue to stick it fair up Sydney in 2007!

lockyno1

Post Whore
Nice work Storm, but it is just a TRIAL. Anyone who believes otherwise is deluded. But good luck throughout the season Storm fans.