What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

StripClub: Manly break curfew to Go

wibble

Bench
Even if they were paying you $350-1million? Personally I’d take the money, act like a professional and wait till the off season.

Probably some people would just think of the money.

But these players can earn that sort of money with employers who don't try to control their lives.

"Acting like a professional" is a bit of a value judgement when the issue is the relationship between the players and club. Being "professional" and bowing down to outlandish requests is dispiriting and not really a reflection of a player's professionalism in other circumstances. I'm not saying there were outlandish requests, just saying that if there are, following or not following them is not part of your professionalism.

I'm also not saying the club doesn't have a right to pay them huge sums and demand odd things of them because of it.

I'm just saying that human nature will resist being controlled like that. It is a worrying sign for their culture that there was a curfew. It means the players aren't trusted, and the players showed they don't care for that scrutiny by breaking any trust there was.

And frankly, unless I was being paid very much more from this employer than from others I could work for, if my private life was being controlled by my employer I would resist (and even if I was paid a lot more I'd probably resist over the long term. Money isn't everything).

Das Gupta

Juniors
As much as I hate Manly, i'm more than ok with grown men being out past 10:30pm and watching some titties.
i-like-big-tits-real-big-ones-om-lmemes-com-15203422.png

Perth Red

Post Whore
So, what is the dollar amount that means my workplace owns every minute of my day?

I'm sorry, but it's a nonsense. If I turn up to work hungover or straight from a night out - sure, sack me.

But when I'm done for the week you have no right to tell me what to do.

That would be up to you. In the NRL its $250-over $1mill. Don't like the employment conditions, get a $70k job as a builder and party to your hearts content.

Perth Red

Post Whore

But these players can earn that sort of money with employers who don't try to control their lives.

"Acting like a professional" is a bit of a value judgement when the issue is the relationship between the players and club. Being "professional" and bowing down to outlandish requests is dispiriting and not really a reflection of a player's professionalism in other circumstances. I'm not saying there were outlandish requests, just saying that if there are, following or not following them is not part of your professionalism.

I'm also not saying the club doesn't have a right to pay them huge sums and demand odd things of them because of it.

I'm just saying that human nature will resist being controlled like that. It is a worrying sign for their culture that there was a curfew. It means the players aren't trusted, and the players showed they don't care for that scrutiny by breaking any trust there was.

And frankly, unless I was being paid very much more from this employer than from others I could work for, if my private life was being controlled by my employer I would resist (and even if I was paid a lot more I'd probably resist over the long term. Money isn't everything).

Comes with the territory as a professional athlete. Asking players to not go on the piss and not visit a strip joint when you are on a trip which is partly to grow your brand isn't outrageous. Its mid season, some professionalism wouldn't hurt. They are supposed to be elite athletes.

First Grade
So, what is the dollar amount that means my workplace owns every minute of my day?

I'm sorry, but it's a nonsense. If I turn up to work hungover or straight from a night out - sure, sack me.

The Army paid me a whole lot less than that and owned my life, many times we were told no drinking whilst still back in barracks if some of our unit were in the field. If caught you would be charged with disobeying a lawful command. It wasn't really hard to follow rules.

Saxon

Bench

Don't like it? Don't sign the contract.
Do not pass Go. Do not collect $500,000 pa.

Simple really.

SBD82

Coach

I've got a lot of sympathy for what you're saying, but I guess the point is they're on a work trip, so they haven't really knocked off.

If my employer sends me interstate for work and I get on the piss with my colleagues, end up at a strip joint and get in a punch up it's not going to go down terribly well.

I've got a lot of sympathy for what you're saying, but I guess the point is they're on a work trip, so they haven't really knocked off.

If my employer sends me interstate for work and I get on the piss with my colleagues, end up at a strip joint and get in a punch up it's not going to go down terribly well.
My biggest gripe was them losing ruined my weekend then they get to see titties? Nah man win and go on a 15 hooker gangbang, lose and you can have a few quiet ones back at a communal room at the place of accommodation

No tits for you, one week!!!

Card Shark

Immortal

Similar to the Ben Barba drug thing.

They train 11 months of the year to play footy, putting in long arduous hours & weekends.

The days after that 11 months is up, a drug test is carried out.

I’m not advocating the use of drugs but on his holidays, that is his right.

Turn up to pre-season training with it in your system, different story.

Front-Rower

First Grade
So the final outcome in this hot little saga, as reported on NRL 360, is that 4 players cop a $1500 fine. It’s a bit like the everyday joe recieving a $25 parking fine. Probably cost Moanly more in admin fees then what they are going to recover.

Latest posts