What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stuart should get his own house in order - Bellamy

Younge

Juniors
The only evidence I have seen, is that put forward by Laurie Daly last night when he claimed the Grapple first appeared in 2003 by the Storm in a match against Canberra. He showed images of the tackles.

So if I dug up images of similar tackles before the Storm even existed would that refute the argument?

This whole grapple tackle issue is a self-fulfilling prophecy. A lot of people want it to be true to make themselves feel better about their own lack of success. To do this, they jump on anything that helps prove their argument to the exclusion of anything else.

t1tan

Juniors
So if I dug up images of similar tackles before the Storm even existed would that refute the argument?

This whole grapple tackle issue is a self-fulfilling prophecy. A lot of people want it to be true to make themselves feel better about their own lack of success. To do this, they jump on anything that helps prove their argument to the exclusion of anything else.
Yeah ask sam thaiday about it...

Ram Man

Juniors

I think a lot of people are putting the Grapple tackle on the storm because they came up with a lot of other holds and tactics.
Like the "Chicken Wing" and the "Shin Boner"
All these "moves" have been introduced by the Storm this season hence calling them the pioneers of such tactics.
No one can actually say when the first grapple took place because sometimes tackles end up around the neck. But its just because of the other grubby tactics that a lot of people are pinning the blame on the Storm.

Meth

Staff member
This whole grapple tackle issue is a self-fulfilling prophecy. A lot of people want it to be true to make themselves feel better about their own lack of success.

Ridiculous

There is far too much consensus and concern for the grapple tackle to be written off as a figment of the imagination of fans suffering from a form of tall poppy syndrome.

Younge

Juniors
Yeah ask sam thaiday about it...

So I guess you're hoping that a dirty player like Cameron Smith doesn't sign with the Titans. I wonder why Searle would even think about recruiting such a bad element into such a squeaky clean environment. Oops - sorry, I forgot about Rogers' minor indiscretion at Olympic Park this year.

Younge

Juniors
Ridiculous

There is far too much consensus and concern for the grapple tackle to be written off as a figment of the imagination of fans suffering from a form of tall poppy syndrome.

Right, and any evidence to the contrary such as the pictures or stats quoted in Bellamy's article have no place in this discussion. If Warren Smith and the guys on Fox think the Storm started all this then we should take them at their word.

One quick question for you - do you actually think Craig Bellamy coaches his players to twist player's necks, choke them, twist their arms, kneel on their calf muscles, etc.?

Meth

Staff member
Right, and any evidence to the contrary such as the pictures or stats quoted in Bellamy's article have no place in this discussion. If Warren Smith and the guys on Fox think the Storm started all this then we should take them at their word.

One quick question for you - do you actually think Craig Bellamy coaches his players to twist player's necks, choke them, twist their arms, kneel on their calf muscles, etc.?

The grapple tackle isn't the sole property of the Storm- other teams do it. The Storm are just the best at it

As for your latter question- I can't make any more of an educated call on that than you can- but yes, I do

Younge

Juniors
The grapple tackle isn't the sole property of the Storm- other teams do it. The Storm are just the best at it

As for your latter question- I can't make any more of an educated call on that than you can- but yes, I do

Maybe I'm terminally naive, however, I find it very difficult to believe that one of the most respected coaches in the competition (Coach of the Year 2006, 2007) would actually instruct his players to wilfully endanger the safety of opposition players. Wouldn't players like Ben Cross, Nathan Friend, James Aubusson, etc. who are now at opposing NRL clubs blow the whistle on him if that was the case?

Meth

Staff member
Maybe I'm terminally naive, however, I find it very difficult to believe that one of the most respected coaches in the competition (Coach of the Year 2006, 2007) would actually instruct his players to wilfully endanger the safety of opposition players. Wouldn't players like Ben Cross, Nathan Friend, James Aubusson, etc. who are now at opposing NRL clubs blow the whistle on him if that was the case?

http://blogs.abc.net.au/thesportsdesk/2008/04/storm-coached-g.html

t1tan

Juniors
So I guess you're hoping that a dirty player like Cameron Smith doesn't sign with the Titans. I wonder why Searle would even think about recruiting such a bad element into such a squeaky clean environment. Oops - sorry, I forgot about Rogers' minor indiscretion at Olympic Park this year.
Your damn right i dont want smith at the Titans.
As for recruiting him,maybe the Titans figure they can undo a lot of the negative tackling style smith has been coached,and improve his grubby image.

Last edited:

Younge

Juniors

I think this type of claim would have much more merit if it wasn't from a disgruntled fringe player from 4 years ago who had very little to do with Bellamy.

If you read Bellamy's explanation:

"I might have said 'why didn't you put this hold on him or why didn't you try and turn him on his back there - or why didn't you grip tighter here or why couldn't you grab some handles up here'. But when the grapple thing all blew up and came to a head then we were really aware of not doing that sort of stuff."

you would see that he ackowledges that they were getting into dangerous territory and consciously backed off.

The wrestling moves eluded to in this article were designed to slow down the play-the-ball not to injure opposition players.

Younge

Juniors
Your damn right i dont want smith at the Titans.
As for recruiting him,maybe the Titans figure they can undo a lot of the negative tackling style smith has been coached,and improve his grubby image.

Good stuff - you've given yourself room to backflip if he is recruited under the guise of turning him from the darkside. May the force be with you!

Ram Man

Juniors
I think this type of claim would have much more merit if it wasn't from a disgruntled fringe player from 4 years ago who had very little to do with Bellamy.

"I might have said 'why didn't you put this hold on him or why didn't you try and turn him on his back there - or why didn't you grip tighter here or why couldn't you grab some handles up here'. But when the grapple thing all blew up and came to a head then we were really aware of not doing that sort of stuff."

you would see that he ackowledges that they were getting into dangerous territory and consciously backed off.

The wrestling moves eluded to in this article were designed to slow down the play-the-ball not to injure opposition players.

I think you will find that most current players are not going to come out and bag anyone from their former club...who wants to burn their bridges in todays game when salary cap restictions can push you out of a club at any time.
that would be a stupid idea to put $hit on Bellamy when he is a successful club coach and a representative coach.

t1tan

Juniors
Good to see you agree he has a negative tackling style.
As for his possible recruitment,thats something i have zero influence on but i will say again,i dont want him at the Titans.

Meth

Staff member

You asked for a player's witness- it may not be Friend or Cross, but it is a player, and who's to say his testimony is not valid? And I get the feeling that if Friend or Cross did give a similar testimony, they would be 'disgruntled' as well- like Steve Irwin from the Raiders....

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Sith Lord Smith
Star-Wars-Emperor.jpg

The force is strong with this one......

camsmith

Juniors
Bellamy had to look at about five different games to get those imahes. I could get that many images of the Storm in the first ten mins of one game.

For FAR too long I have let these kind of posts just go by, but enough is enough, too many people are posting crap like the above without fear of being called to back it up

So ok, go ahead, go through the first 10 minutes of ANY Storm game in history (even pre-Bellamy if you must) and find me six grapple tackles performed by Storm players.

If you can't do it, let that be a lesson to stop posting rediculous claims that you can't backup.

Last edited:

Ram Man

Juniors
For FAR too long I have let these kind of posts just go by, but enough is enough, too many people are posting crap like the above without fear of being called to back it up

So ok, go ahead, go through the first 10 minutes of ANY Storm game in history (even pre-Bellamy if you must) and find me six grapple tackles performed by Storm players.

If you can't do it, let that be a lesson to start posting rediculous claims that you can't backup with any sort of evidence.

:lol::lol: You do know where you are dont you....its not a court of law...and what happens if someone says something and doesnt back it up...what wrath can this person expect from you...

Latest posts