What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stuart should get his own house in order - Bellamy

Shorty

Staff member
Oh ffs people still don't get it.
For the tackle that Cam Smith did,do you honestly think he deserved to get off?

Everybody does grapple tackles, you see 6-10 at least every game. It's just the Storm that have been tagged for it, jealousy and trying to bring the best down a peg or two is an Australian past time!

I have not seen a single grapple by a Perth player in the NRL all year. Oh hang on they don't have a team, best get on the Melbourne bandwagon then

the Lock8

Juniors
Lets just hope the ref spots that filthy piece of crap Gallen at his knacker grabbing best tonight and he gets what is way overdue for a dog like him.

Meth

Staff member
Smith's suspension was justifiable and long overdue

If the judiciary is consistent and mindful of the precedent, it should send a message to all of the players that have a capacity to be grubby, one of them being Gallen.

The officials will be eager to take any opportunity to display consistency in this way; hopefully not over eager, over sensitive and whistle happy

coolumsharkie

Referee

If the judiciary is consistent and mindful of the precedent, it should send a message to all of the players that have a capacity to be grubby, one of them being Gallen.

The officials will be eager to take any opportunity to display consistency in this way; hopefully not over eager, over sensitive and whistle happy

So hopefully not like you then.

Credibility in the post

If the judiciary is consistent and mindful of the precedent, it should send a message to all of the players that have a capacity to be grubby

Credibility in the post

, one of them being Gallen.

Pointless excercise in signaling out one player. The preceeding point covered this well

Agreed, lets hope they allow football to be played and serious indescretions are punished.

Meth

Staff member
Miller- I only mentioned Gallen because he was the topic of the posts immediately before me. I could easily nominate several other players with 'a capacity to be grubby'- every team has at least one

Younge

Juniors

Long overdue for Smith &/or Melbourne or overdue for the entire NRL?

Meth

Staff member
both- but as I have said before, I think it is fitting that severest penalty given to a grapple tackler (suspended and missing out on a GF) is handed to the captain and most valuable player of the team that is the pioneer, the perfecter and the team synonymous with the 'grapple tackle'

Perth Red

Post Whore
\
For the tackle that Cam Smith did,do you honestly think he deserved to get off?

Nope, two matches was a fair suspension. I don't even think it was so much of a grapple tackle as a tackle that wrenched the players head.

I consider a grapple when a player is down and the tackler head locks the player to slow the play the ball down. Not going to cause an injury but not in the spirit of the game and should be Penalised EVERY TIME it happens. The issue is more the hysteria that is surrounding melbourne when reality is EVERY game has them happen.

This can be put down to our love of A) our flat cap approach that anything outside of Sydney to do with RL is pointless and B) our love of chopping down tall poppies.

Younge

Juniors
both- but as I have said before, I think it is fitting that severest penalty given to a grapple tackler (suspended and missing out on a GF) is handed to the captain and most valuable player of the team that is the pioneer, the perfecter and the team synonymous with the 'grapple tackle'

Everyone keeps saying this but I can't find anyone with the facts to back it up. These's a difference between a grapple tackle that can potentially cause injury and wrestling to slow down the ruck.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Everyone keeps saying this but I can't find anyone with the facts to back it up. These's a difference between a grapple tackle that can potentially cause injury and wrestling to slow down the ruck.

There are no facts, its just gullible people believing what the media tells them. Hype over substance works every time, just look at the RU WC!

Meth

Staff member
Well, it is obvious that they are the team synonymous with the grapple tackle

I'm not sure what form 'the facts' would take- but the reason that they are still the name synonymous with the grapple tackle, even though other teams do it now, is because they were the pioneers.

The reason that they don't get punished as much as they could for it is because they are also the perfecters.

There is a difference between a grapple and wrestling to slow down the ruck (legally, but to the detriment of the game as a spectacle)...the Storm do both.

The only evidence I have seen, is that put forward by Laurie Daly last night when he claimed the Grapple first appeared in 2003 by the Storm in a match against Canberra. He showed images of the tackles.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I am pretty sure if you studied every game in 2002 you would have seen some! It is really only since the media jumped on the band waggon, we gave it a name and talk about in finitum on fans boards that is has gained such prominence. Yes Melbourne have become masters of slowing the play of the ball down, yes they have been pinged for grapple tackles (as has every team) but ultimatley it is the responsibility of the NRL to get it out of the game. They could do this very easily and within a few weeks, you ave to ask why they haven't?