What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sulky Wayne

cirque

Juniors
We have a post started in our forum - who thinks Jarryd dived. There you go some eels fan things he was b*&^sh*ting....

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/lhq...hird-place-spot/2007/07/23/1185043031647.html

I didn't dive: Hayne hits back at furious Bennett

Glenn Jackson | July 24, 2007

Broncos 16 Eels 20

Parramatta fullback Jarryd Hayne must have thought his most testing defence would have come with Sam Thaiday running like a steam train straight towards him.

But after Brisbane coach Wayne Bennett savaged the State of Origin player last night, accusing him of diving and suggesting he should be cited, Hayne was forced into even more vigorous defence after the match. Hayne denied he had taken a dive after a crucial 46th minute incident last night, when he lay motionless after being struck by a rampaging Thaiday.

Bennett was stinging in his attack on Hayne, saying: "I think it's something the game's got to address. You talk about ethics in a lot of sports - I think in our game, if you weren't injured, you wouldn't lay on the ground.

"In the ref's defence, he looked like he was never going to move. It looked like he was extremely, or seriously injured."

Bennett added he did not have a problem with referee Ben Cummins's decision to stop the play: "I have a problem with the player, and the position that we were in and why he did it."

At the time, the Broncos were down 14-6 but building momentum. Thaiday stormed towards Hayne and stepped at the last moment - Hayne appeared to get his head caught in the wrong position and lay flat on his back afterwards. Cummins stopped the game, leading Thaiday to throw the ball away in disgust, even though the contact looked like it would have floored a heavyweight boxer.

"It cost us dearly," Bennett said. "And to see him get up and carry on like he did afterwards was pretty disappointing. We've got to have ethics and codes in our game amongst players and coaches so that stuff just doesn't happen.

"The rules are there to protect players when they are genuinely injured, not to give his team an advantage when they're under the pump."

The drama came after the NRL issued an edict that officials would be cracking down on diving after a controversial clash between Cronulla and St George Illawarra in round 13 in which both camps accused the other of feigning injuries to earn penalties.

Bennett added: "They just should be cited for bringing the game into disrepute. Get the guy cited, put him out of the game for a while, and you will cut the rot out pretty quickly."

Hayne, however, said he was "rattled" by the hit.

"You'd better ask Sammy about that," Hayne said. "Sammy said he hit me flush on the head. He asked me after the game, 'How's your head?' My head struck his knee. I was a bit rattled. I was a bit unstable. But I put some water on it and I played on. We'll have to wait and see how it is tomorrow."

Eels chief executive Denis Fitzgerald described the accusations as "baseless", saying: "I don't think Wayne's got any medical qualifications, so I think he should stay out of it. I'd stay down too if Sammy Thaiday ran into me."

The drama overshadowed the Eels' move into outright third place on the ladder, and a wonderful performance by Nathan Hindmarsh on the same night his father, Bill, had a serious operation, not to mention a stirring comeback by the injury-hit Broncos. They trailed 14-0 at half-time only to come within a whisker of victory after two late Shaun Berrigan tries.

PARRAMATTA 20 (N Hindmarsh, I Hindmarsh, K Inu tries; K Inu 4 goals) bt BRISBANE 16 (S Berrigan 2, D Boyd tries; C Parker 2 goals) at Suncorp Stadium. Referee: Ben Cummins. Crowd: 25,762.

Eels Fanatic

Juniors
He took a dive. We won. 80 minutes of footy and all Bennett can comment on is the disgraceful act of taking a dive which took up 6 seconds of the actual game. It's not like a Drongo's player hasn't tried it and Bennett knows it (see first half).

See it for what it really was. A deflection to the fact that the Drongos couldn't win without their star backline (which would have been tomorrow's headline especially in the Courier Mail). That and the fact Thaiday couldn't run over the top of him. They all tried and mostly failed.

As for Hayne, even if he was hurt, concussed or whatever it is the second time I have seen him get back up with apparently no real ill effect ie wobbly legs, dialated eyes etc (see SOO). Don't mind if he does it but other teams will line him up if he tries it on every game. As for the deflection well done Bennett. It has everyone here talking about it.

eel01s

Bench
I thought Bennett's comments were an absolute disgrace. How can he sit there and accuse hayne of diving and then say that his players would never do it? How many times did Allan Langer milk penalties and then get up laughing? What about Ennis last night trying to milk a penalty. He owes Hayne an apology.

If you want to see a dive, watch the Gallen incident from earlier this year. If you want to see a player who thankfully was only momentarily stunned, then watch the Hayne incident from last night.

eelz47

Coach
when has the rule been changed, so time off is called for an injured played in defence???

i thought it was only for the team in attack?

and he was off with the fairies more than i am

eelz47

Coach
Hayne appeared to get his head caught in the wrong position and lay flat on his back afterwards

i thought he was laying face, down so he could hide his smirk ;-)

get ya hand off it bennet

spiderdan

Bench
bennett should maybe look at the incident again before commenting.

hayne's head and neck got folded in on impact. he stopped a guy that was running at speed that also outweighs him by i reckon 15-20kg. i can guarantee that if it was anyone else in that same position they would've hit the ground and struggled to move for a while. you only need to look at the way hayne played the rest of the game to see the incident affected him.

the other comment bennett made about it costing them, well, i thought thaiday lost the ball before the ref called time off but the broncos retained posession because the ref claimed he blew time off first. the broncos even thought they'd lost it. you can see berrigan i think it was kick the ball away in frustration.

wayne bennett is a good coach but geez he makes some dumb comments and says some whiney things some times. i'm surprised he didn't just give one word answers like he normally does at press conferences.

hindmarsh4pm

Juniors
bennett keeps his mouth shut the whole press conference, yet when the hayne incident comes up he didn't shut up, what a tosser. he and petro

forward pass

Coach
All I know - it was a great tackle !!!!

Lets get Thaiday to run at Benett and see if he jumps to his feet the whinging old coot !!

oneguy

Juniors
At least Denis Fitzgerald defended Hayne. On the Big Sports Breakfast - gave Bennett a gobful - saying he only cares for the Broncos - and not the game - and that is why the Super League started. Pathethic and Disgraceful. Questioned Bennett's medical opinion. And suggested Jarryd may want to take legal action.

Good onya Fitzy!

fish eel

Immortal
El Diablo said:
Hadley gave Bennett a spray on his morning show too

That'll do me. Hayne obviously dived :lol:

Seriously though, not a bad ploy by Bennett. They've got injury worries and lost. Great way to stop people looking at the broncos and talking about another one of their end of season slumps.

What he has done is bought his side and extra week's respite, and put the spotlight on a star player from another team competing for the top 4, the week of a big match.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Reading the Courier Mail today you would have thought Jarryd was Bin Laden. Bennett is like a Messiah up here and whatever he says is gospel.

parra pete

Referee
I thought Jarryd took a dive too.
He was stunned - but I don't think it was as bad as he made out. Anyway Thaiday dropped the ball.... It would have been an Eels scrum and feed.
The old saying..."Winners can laugh, losers please themselves."
Stiff luck Wayne...your boys are angels - who ALWAYS play by the spirit of the game. How do they give away penalties? Why wasn't Ennis sin binned for a professional foul..His actions were not in the spirit of the game either!!
Well done, you are a ROLE model for the Broncos. Pity you didn't move to the Roosters--you would have been able to straighten them out too...
Your every word is their command, with Petero playing follow the leader...

El Diablo

Post Whore
Ennis took a dive trying to get a penalty. Hayne stayed down after being smashed. He didn't ask the ref to stop play. Lucky for Bennett he did.

parra pete

Referee
It amuses me how the absence of Lockyer, Tate, Hunt, and Hodges weakened the Broncs, but the fact that the Eels were without Burt, Grothe, Wagon, Robinson..all experienced and regular first graders didn't weaken the Eels
The name of the games is survival of the fittest. Every Club has a squad of 25..to make the best of all circumstances. If the Broncos put all their eggs into one basket by retaining the superstars instead of catering for depth..that's their problem, and has no effect on the Eels or the win last night. It is called Tough Titties.

LissaNicho

Juniors
In the same way Bennett was suggesting the referees get grapple tackled, so they understood the impact, maybe Denis could arrange for those who believe Jarryd faked the whole thing to be steamrolled by Sam Thaiday.

I was surprised at how quickly Hayne got up, as I thought he was severely injured at first. But he just didn't look right for the rest of the game. I have no doubt that it would take a few deep breaths to get back to your feet after having the wind knocked out of you by someone with the size of Thaiday. I'd imagine his first thought could easily have been that he could be badly hurt, I don't blame him for not rushing to his feet immediately, especially if he had been stunned in the tackle.

Bazal

Post Whore
LissaNicho said:
In the same way Bennett was suggesting the referees get grapple tackled, so they understood the impact, maybe Denis could arrange for those who believe Jarryd faked the whole thing to be steamrolled by Sam Thaiday.

I was surprised at how quickly Hayne got up, as I thought he was severely injured at first. But he just didn't look right for the rest of the game. I have no doubt that it would take a few deep breaths to get back to your feet after having the wind knocked out of you by someone with the size of Thaiday. I'd imagine his first thought could easily have been that he could be badly hurt, I don't blame him for not rushing to his feet immediately, especially if he had been stunned in the tackle.

Best idea ever...:lol::lol:

El Diablo

Post Whore
Ten news just said they will be showing footage of the Bronco who stayed down

my guess is it's Ennis

stuke

Bench
i listened to the game on the radio and the MMM boys were giving it to Ennis over his 'dive'. saying that he was looking at the ref the whole time.

also got to love the old fella who rang up the Big Sports Breakfast this morning to point out that Thaiday dropped the ball while he was getting up to play the ball. if the Broncos had of played on they would have lost the ball anyway.

maybe Wayne should be cited by the NRL for bringing the game into disrepute?

Latest posts